• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

On 11/08/2022 at 14:19, Tom N said:

Hi folks. Looking for info re diff oil. Just did mine with CST 5k front 7k centre 3k rear, now checking on here seems I might have under done the thickness? All help appreciated, bit noobish to this hobby. 

30k front 100k centre and 30k rear works for me just bashing about 👍🏻

• 3 weeks later...

Just taken the DR8 for its first bash since changing the diff oil. So glad I did it - much better power delivery and handling. Makes a huge difference.

Found all 3 diffs were pretty much empty when I opened them up.  Also found I needed new seals - they only come in a pack with the casing though,  bit of a waste.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI Guys,

Had my DR8 for a couple of months now and its an absolute animal! Wanted some advice from other owners on things

1. Is 300k cst Diff oil for the centre diff the way to go to stop the wheelies and front tyre blooning?
  2. It bottoms out all the time! what can I do to stiffen the shocks? Higher cst Shock Oil?
  3. Is it worth replacing the standard server with a higher torque one and if so what should I be looking at?
  4. (Not sure if this bad or not) I am seeing sparks coming from the spur gear gap in the bottom of the car... ive checked and nothing is lose and I cant for the life of me work out whats causing it! Not loads of sparks just every now and then.

Cheers for your time guys.. I'm gonna take the downtime with the rubbish weather to get her all upgraded and rebuilt!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I am a fresh-ish owner of a FTX DR8, and I am wondering if its normal that the wheels have a certain degree of play on the axle's.

I'm normally a Tamiya RC person, and decided to go big(ger). Seen the play of the wheels in my Tamiya's is basically non-existent, I am wondering if the bearings are bad or not.

I had three runs now, did not crash into anything, and the wheel nuts are secure. If I test the play id say its about 3-4mm (seen at top end of tire) left to right before the steering rods start moving.

Am I to precise minded here? and is the DR8 a more raw/solid build car? or do i need to check bearings and seating? as the car is new I expect these things to be ok.

Thanks in advance guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think you will find many complaints about the car and mine is my only 6s vehicle so not much to compare with personally.  The price is very good (although has gone up in the past couple of years) and FTX parts are usually reasonably priced.  

I dont mind the tyres but there isnt a lot of grip on loose/wet surfaces.   I love the sound and speed of the thing and the only issue I have seen was 2 x broken shock ends but that was from driving full pelt into a small RC sized ditch that I didnt know existed so it came to a very hard stop and tumbled.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I was a nitro/petro 1/8-1/5  untill last xmas when i fancied a change the Dr8 is fing nuts only issue i have had is the rear mouting block lol other than that is a sweet bit of kit

I use Core RC 5000mAh 11.1V 3S x2

• Like 1