• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

Upgraded the pinion from 12t to 14t experienced no overheating issues with the motor

14t broke fitted 16t went out for a run yesterday open area on grass and boy does it shift to the point where it's uncontrollable, at speed it was doing wheelies and rolled over a few times. I think the rear needs to be more weighted down, although I had removed the rear tyre off the back which may have played a part.

Also on 16t the ESC and motor was really hot to the point where I presume the safety cut off kicked in to prevent damage so couldn't use until temps dropped. 5 mins later was back in action.

Safe bet would be to stick with 14t or 15t? And if going beyond that you would definitely need to fit cooling to the motor and a more robust fan on the heatsink

Not sure if these are 'too' popular but there seems to be a distinct lack of spare parts!   Broke both front shocks at the weekend and wasn't too bothered at the time as FTX are usually so easy to get parts but a lot of suspension components at least are out of stock everywhere.

Even went back to the field today where it broke to see if I could find  the spring that disappeared.  Found the black shock perch somehow but not the large shiny spring grr!

Yes its strange that some parts are really hard to get.Front upper arms have been out of stock for ages and the part that the rear chassis brace bolts to doesn't come with the parts it's ment to and ftx don't sell it separately.Most get parts from conrad rc in Europe.

Guess shipping/supply is still a bit messed up everywhere and hopefully it will catch up at some point.  

Have ordered myself a small bundle of parts for what was available to keep it going and touch wood I have managed to bag some complete shocks from Appliance Electricals.

Got the DR8 out this morning to play in a dusty field.  So much fun with this thing and the sound it makes is so visceral!  

This is my first car with pillow balls, is it normal for them to slacken off sometimes?  Happened today when I noticed camber was wafty one side and the top or bottom had wound out quite a bit. 

Think I have had this once before when I first got it.  Not a biggie but not sure if I am missing something?

On 18/06/2022 at 09:55, MrCake said:

Got the DR8 out this morning to play in a dusty field.  So much fun with this thing and the sound it makes is so visceral!  

This is my first car with pillow balls, is it normal for them to slacken off sometimes?  Happened today when I noticed camber was wafty one side and the top or bottom had wound out quite a bit. 

Think I have had this once before when I first got it.  Not a biggie but not sure if I am missing something?

Not had any issues with mine. Though I tend to go round the car periodically and tighten stuff up so maybe thats why.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone tried the 3.8" belted badlands?

I'm torn between the 2.8 and 3.8 - a lot of money to spend without knowing the 3.8 will fit.  I do have 15mm extenders but is that enough?

EDIT: Ignore this question - after measuring it up I realised the 3.8" was a daft idea.  Decided Proline didn't quite do what I wanted so I have some Louise wheels on the way!

Edited by Kyo

On 24/06/2022 at 18:31, Kyo said:

Has anyone tried the 3.8" belted badlands?

I'm torn between the 2.8 and 3.8 - a lot of money to spend without knowing the 3.8 will fit.  I do have 15mm extenders but is that enough?

EDIT: Ignore this question - after measuring it up I realised the 3.8" was a daft idea.  Decided Proline didn't quite do what I wanted so I have some Louise wheels on the way!

I have on my reely these arrma copperheads 2 but unfortunately I think I burned the motor last night..

20220702_100446.jpg

Ouch what happened? Motor get too hot with the bigger wheels?

My new wheels should arrive this week - can't wait to try them out.

On 02/07/2022 at 13:22, Kyo said:

Ouch what happened? Motor get too hot with the bigger wheels?

My new wheels should arrive this week - can't wait to try them out.

Apparently is the esc that failed me few nights ago. The fan is toast and the esc gets hot very quick. I'm running it on stock gears and 4s 80c zee batteries 🤔

Posted this in another thread but got out early to test this combo this morning.  I am really pleased and would say this combo is taking the motor temps down by 20 degrees!  

As  well as reducing the peak temp, it seems to cool the motor down pretty quick when stationary which might be handy with the hotter temperatures we are starting to get.

Love this car the more I use it with the sheer noise of it really adding to the experience!

20220709_132733.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MrCake said:

Posted this in another thread but got out early to test this combo this morning.  I am really pleased and would say this combo is taking the motor temps down by 20 degrees!  

As  well as reducing the peak temp, it seems to cool the motor down pretty quick when stationary which might be handy with the hotter temperatures we are starting to get.

Love this car the more I use it with the sheer noise of it really adding to the experience!

20220709_132733.jpg

I have twin ones of those fans on mine.

2 hours ago, MrCake said:

20220709_132733.jpg

20220710_130243.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have these on mine now: https://www.louiserc.eu/1-10-Scale/1-10-Maxx-c-2023/Louise-RC-MFT-MT-PIONEER-Maxx-Tire-Set-Mounted-Sport-Black-3.8-Bead-Lock-Wheels-1-2-Offset-Hex-17mm-L-T3329SB/

Awesome wheels/tyres.  Out of stock at the moment though so not sure I was much help 😆

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tomr said:

Haven’t tried them myself but these could be a decent cheap option?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403759659290?epid=1917622455&hash=item5e01f3791a:g:~bkAAOSwptNixoRU

I’ve just bought a set to test out 👍🏻
I’d stuck them in my watch list yesterday, just looked this morning and  the seller had offered a 5% discount which brings them down to £37.05 delivered.

• Like 1