• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

Can anyone kindly upload a close up of the pinion gear and spur gear for the DR8

Its my first time replacing the pinion gear (as the original broke) but unsure whether it should be centred, flush or offset left/right to the spur gear

Thanks

We found a use for these redundant mask’s we used to wear:

824E93E9-592C-4B24-8FD9-FFE83FC47D2C.thumb.jpeg.1a345c94eff01bd062f119be57609435.jpeg

my boy fried his 550 stock brushed motor in his bugsta, to be fair it’s been running a lipo from day one and we gave it a better esc, so it did alright. Already lined up some brushless options, 3660 3100kv or 3650 2700k or 3670 2650kv, 60a and a 80a esc’s and a 25kg servo, so a full upgrade on the cards.

I have fitted some new wheels to the DR8, so much grip, did a rolling backflip, full 360, never done that before, so am very happy with these zd racing wheels and tires. They do ballon but I seem to get loads of grip before they give in to 6s power 👹 IMO poss the best mod so far, far better than the 35kg servo that is fitted, that’s really not performing, I’m gonna try a heavier load version, even with the BEC at 8v it’s pants, really not impressed. 

• Like 2

On 07/05/2022 at 18:06, ash2910 said:

Can anyone kindly upload a close up of the pinion gear and spur gear for the DR8

Its my first time replacing the pinion gear (as the original broke) but unsure whether it should be centred, flush or offset left/right to the spur gear

Thanks

Mines always ran in the centre

• Thanks 1

Replaced the pinion to 14t I dare not going any higher with the stock tyres, they ballooned so much to the point I thought they'll explode! On 6s

What are the signs of a failed servo?, noticed it turns ok to the left but to the right there is not much movement

Any recommendations for a cheap Chinese alternative?

Edited by ash2910

Replaced the servo with a 25kg DS3225 but still have the same issue the wheels are hardly turning.

I haven't used the car for a while, last used was on grass and I didn't bother cleaning it, could something within the steering/wheels, hub, knuckle etc be seized?

Thoughts would be appreciated

Loving seeing how everyone is getting on with these, it's still on my wanted list but like everything RC atm price rises are a bit silly - used ones seem to fetch almost as much as new.

Failing getting hold of one i'm on the lookout for a sensible priced cage to convert one of my many buggies.

1 hour ago, ash2910 said:

Replaced the servo with a 25kg DS3225 but still have the same issue the wheels are hardly turning.

I haven't used the car for a while, last used was on grass and I didn't bother cleaning it, could something within the steering/wheels, hub, knuckle etc be seized?

Thoughts would be appreciated

Have you checked the servo saver? Pointedscarab had a similar issue on page 2 of this thread - rebuilt the servo saver and all good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyo said:

Have you checked the servo saver? Pointedscarab had a similar issue on page 2 of this thread - rebuilt the servo saver and all good.

Thanks! Tightened up the silver servo saver nut which has significantly improved the steering,

However steering to the right works perfectly fully locks out whereas the left the steering throw isn't as much compared to the right, is this normal? 

30 minutes ago, ash2910 said:

Thanks! Tightened up the silver servo saver nut which has significantly improved the steering,

However steering to the right works perfectly fully locks out whereas the left the steering throw isn't as much compared to the right, is this normal? 

With the servo arm disconnected does it cycle thru its full movement smoothly? 

4 hours ago, Acidsnow said:

With the servo arm disconnected does it cycle thru its full movement smoothly? 

Yep, although I noticed it binds against the front blue mount so I've adjusted it so it doesn't hit the metal but still have the same issue

I would undo the servo horn and check the mechanism moves freely in both directions, no binding or stiff action.

I usually give mine a spray with gt85 after a wet run.

19 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Loving seeing how everyone is getting on with these, it's still on my wanted list but like everything RC atm price rises are a bit silly - used ones seem to fetch almost as much as new.

Failing getting hold of one i'm on the lookout for a sensible priced cage to convert one of my many buggies.

I am still really enjoying mine.With a 16th pinion and these wheels and tyres it's a rocket on 4s.Its basically the only off road car I run now.Parts are super cheap and I agree that people are asking to much secondhand.I have seen some asking more than what I paid for my one new.

20220601_075848.jpg

Spoke to ftx technical support who advised it is normal where the left wheel will not turn as much/fully lockout in comparison to the right wheel.

The chap I spoke to said it's quite common not just with ftx models

Also I think it's mentioned here or elsewhere the servo saver link/horn at full lock hits the blue motor mount, which also will affect the left wheel from fully locking out

Edited by ash2910
  • Like 1

Most people who have looked into this issue have either raised the knuckle above the front brace or swapped the arm underneath, so it’s away from everything. 

I run a 35kg feetech servo and it’s just crap, even on 8v, which I can dial up as I run a max8 esc, I’m going for a eco boost 36kg next and if that fails I’ll try something in the 50kg range.

Mines on a 17t pinion and it blew the new tires clean off the rims (ripped the tires open) after the first full speed run, so belted tires are a must, I’m going for the jetko low profile tires from modelsport, just waiting to pay all the bills before I order them. 

I still run the stock servo with the arm raised to clear the top plate.I have put a cable tie underneath the servo saver nut to stop it unwinding and coming loose and for what I do with it the steerings fine.My fastrax tyres haven't blown up yet with a 16th pinion but I do have 1 million k fluid in the centre diff.

A month out of action as pinion broke, took the car out for a  run yesterday with a surpass hobby 14t pinion. Speed runs on gravel and grass was great fun! But the pinion broke again, lost one tooth!

Seems if you do high speed runs and braking things break!

What brand pinions are people using? anything better out there?

Just a headache having to strip it down again to replace the pinion again!

Edited by ash2910

RW Racing pinions, havent had one fail, that being said, if the tooths breaking off the pinion, atleast its a cheap failure point, the next thing that would go would be the diffs, so maybe easy up on the breaking when ending your speed run.

• Thanks 1