• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

Made a costly mistake, had to replace the stock pinion gear so removed the hex screws, all were removed but one! Applied too much force and the hex bit broke into the head screw!

Was left with no choice but to try and drill it out, the head of the hex broke off which left the thread part of the screw in the blue motor mount!. Tried also drilling this out but failed and has damaged the internal thread of the mount 😞

So long story short need a new motor mount £20! Is the cheapest i could find! And a new hex screw

In hindsight not sure if it would have helped as it was solid likely with excessive threadlock, should have sprayed some wd40 and some heat to it

Lesson learnt! When reassembling is it necessary to apply a tiny amout of blue lock thread to the hex screws and the pinion gear?

Morning all

anyone else have a noisy fan on the esc?

mines sounds like something is in it but I’ve had it off and there is nothing in there now, I wonder if the fan is dying?

it was full of grass after a run the other day, cleaned it out but still making a strange noise.

I’ve got a max8 esc ready to go, so i think it’s time for the swap and buy another fan for WP-8bl150. 

And I need new tyres, inside edge of two of mine are ripping along the seam, so It’s  time for some bigger rims,  belted seems to be the way to go, just not cheap!! 

fixed my front LED light too, never worked out if the box, someone pulled the wires out, so all soldered and working.

added a bugsta to the fleet too. Now my boy has a 1/10 to keep up with the rest of us 🤪👊

• Like 1

Just ordered one of them dual fans, thanks for the link.

im about to Ali express some wheels, should be here by 2023, so will share when they arrive…..

anyone else order for Ali?   Are the shipping times as listed?

for the money it’s a crime not too buy them but I  wonder if I can wait that long……

After todays session over the field I plan to remove the stock ESC and replace with a MAX8 esc which has way more options and a higher BEC voltage so I can get more form the wannabe 35kg servo I have fitted, it may be strong but it isn’t fast.  Then swap the stock RX for a sky one so I can use my gt3b handset which has a million more settings than stock.

mainly to just get more from what is already there, I’m quite sure I don’t need more power and speed, on a 17t pinion its stupid fast, just want more control and try tune it to suit me more.

all good fun!

Edited by Microspeed
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Microspeed said:

Just ordered one of them dual fans, thanks for the link.

im about to Ali express some wheels, should be here by 2023, so will share when they arrive…..

for the money it’s a crime not too buy them but I  wonder if I can wait that long……

Theyre not exactly quick, but after being a snob for years, Ive started using Ali Express a lot lately. I find them faster than the alloted time usually, and their tracking is good. That said its still a month ish usually

Edited by Kpowell911

For the savings ( two sets shipped for less than one set of the same on eBay ) I’m happy to wait.

I’ve just never been comfortable sticking card details into foreign websites!!  

they do have a good rep and record, so I’ll just have to have faith and keep an eye on my balance for a few weeks 👍😎

50 minutes ago, Microspeed said:

I do but order from Romania. The shipping times are as listed. I don't really have much other alternatives here. 

Btw those coolers can be found on aliexpress too, if you search for "double fan motor radiator" 

I’ve just found them, shame I ordered the others about three hours ago!

ow we’ll, saved quite a bit on the wheels, so it’s all good, will search more on Ali next time!!

Well i had fun at the weekend and did some speed runs, i couldnt quite get full throttle as the std tyres were a bit sketchy, but managed to reach 75mph with an 18t pinion , i was in a car following behind which made it much easier to see what was going on.

Badlands have just arrived and a 21 tooth pinion 😁

£7.28  21% Off | 2PCS 1/8 Truggy Monster Truck Wheel and Tyre set , Low Weight, 17mm
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLYX8jM

came out at £30 for four after tax and shipping. 

I’ll still need some belted tires for on road but these should be ok for general bashing.

also ordered some axle extensions for the dr8, some 1/10 wheels for the outlaw, new shocks for the a979b and a fan for the outlaw or my boys bugsta. 

Edited by Microspeed
  • Thanks 2

Couple of updates:

Fitted flysky TX for gt3b RX 

Fitted HW MAX8 esc, now running 8v BEC.

Fitted dual fan

general tighten up and blow out of grass, ready for more and its also got the 17t pinion on, stupid fast!

3706B2C7-4BDE-41B5-A6AD-0B4CE82CEEAB.jpeg

EDFE7EA8-B880-4EE4-A455-91AD78B1080B.jpeg

E4155C39-B3D7-4F1E-870D-4EFCAB02C917.jpeg

• Like 3

🤪

2FE45641-1A08-42FE-BB54-CE057D10DA70.jpeg

I need to redo the roof ( first attempt at wrapping ) as it’s shocking and I may have to swap the bonnet for something more flat, I’ve not got the talent to wrap such small shapes!  

I’ve got smaller wheels on order 😎

And I picked up some sand tyres too, handy considering I live next to the beach😂🤣

**** update ****

These are cr@p, not for the DR8 and I doubt any 1/8 unless it was very solid. Wheels weigh a lot, ruins the car, overheating motor, really unbalanced and the effect on the suspension was terrible, made the arms flex and twist, so they ‘re already off and on the shelf.  Seemed a good idea at the time 🥺

Edited by Microspeed
  • Like 3

On 25/04/2022 at 19:28, Microspeed said:

🤪

2FE45641-1A08-42FE-BB54-CE057D10DA70.jpeg

I need to redo the roof ( first attempt at wrapping ) as it’s shocking and I may have to swap the bonnet for something more flat, I’ve not got the talent to wrap such small shapes!  

I’ve got smaller wheels on order 😎

And I picked up some sand tyres too, handy considering I live next to the beach😂🤣😆

Looks mental (in a good way) with them on 👍