• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

36 minutes ago, sunny said:

I managed to pick up one if these for £100 it's well used and needs a clean apart from broken roof panel it's all working great. 

First job was to change centre diff fluid. I went with 200k to see what it's like. The screws holding the diff and motor mount etc have way too much thread lock on from factory so managed to strip a few then good old dremel to help get them out. It's in bits now waiting for cnc rear suspension holder as well as few screws and bearings. 

While it's in bits I thought I would upgrade servo to 25kg and also program esc. Two questions 1 I know the esc is hobbywing but does anyone know which box is used to program it as so many different ones. 

2. How do you tighten the servo saver 

This is the program box I use.The lvc is set at only 3.0v which is to low so I have changed it to 3.4v.

20220223_103929.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ash2910 said:

Yep sorry, new to all this!

Don’t worry you’ll soon get the hang of it 👍🏻
There’s a grub screw in the end of the driveshaft that holds the pin, you’ll need to undo with a hex driver or decent Allen key 

D096022E-8227-4134-A262-520983D45FEF.thumb.jpeg.e6b7fca0487f320c2c5a683813103f2d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tomr said:

Don’t worry you’ll soon get the hang of it 👍🏻
There’s a grub screw in the end of the driveshaft that holds the pin, you’ll need to undo with a hex driver or decent Allen key 

D096022E-8227-4134-A262-520983D45FEF.thumb.jpeg.e6b7fca0487f320c2c5a683813103f2d.jpeg

Ah ok, so once removed the pin will just fall out?

19 minutes ago, ash2910 said:

Got it out thanks, now struggling to get the two knuckes back into the new the hub carrier, any tips?

You have to unscrew the two pillow balls out, put them into the carrier then screw them back on to the arms 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tomr said:

You have to unscrew the two pillow balls out, put them into the carrier then screw them back on to the arms 👍🏻

Yeah lol figured it out thanks, I was trying to use brute force to get it in but failed haha

All sorted now thanks! 😊

Edited by ash2910
  • Like 1

Not yet. I destroyed the 15t pinion as it wasn’t tight enough and then rounded off the motor screws, so drilled them out and fitted stainless bolts and the 17t pinion.

hopefully I’m over at the runway later this week 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Microspeed said:

Not yet. I destroyed the 15t pinion as it wasn’t tight enough and then rounded off the motor screws, so drilled them out and fitted stainless bolts and the 17t pinion.

hopefully I’m over at the runway later this week 👍

Do let me know how you get on, thinking of going with 18T or 22T but concerned the stock tyres may blow out!

If i do upgrade the pinion I'm looking to also add a heatsink and 40mm fan to keep the motor temps down

I’ve not noticed the motor getting hot so far and even after about 20 speed runs it was only warm, looking at what others run on a 4274 motor, we’re a long way off stressing it but I’ve also decided the DR8 isn’t for outright speed, so I’ve been building another 1/8 buggy based speed machine, road tires etc, so the DR8 will stay with the smaller pinions and try the larger ones on the buggy.

the tires did balloon on the speed runs but not as bad as I thought, they did a good job considering they aren’t ideal for 60mph+

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Microspeed said:

I’ve not noticed the motor getting hot so far and even after about 20 speed runs it was only warm, looking at what others run on a 4274 motor, we’re a long way off stressing it but I’ve also decided the DR8 isn’t for outright speed, so I’ve been building another 1/8 buggy based speed machine, road tires etc, so the DR8 will stay with the smaller pinions and try the larger ones on the buggy.

the tires did balloon on the speed runs but not as bad as I thought, they did a good job considering they aren’t ideal for 60mph+

Mrs will kill me if i buy another rc car just for outright speed haha so I'll have to stick with the DR8 what max size pinion would you recommend without blowing out the stock tyres?

Will add a heatsink and fan to be on the safe side

I bought a 2nd chassis for less than a set of wheels for it costs and just picked up bits along the way. Now have a HW max6 esc, 3670 2650kv motor and a skyrc tx, 

I just need battery boxes ( going to run it on 4s till I fit a larger motor ) and a body but the wheelbase is 340mm, which is a weird size for bodies it seems.

no idea how much faster the dr8 will go but the tires are almost dinner plates already on a 15t, so it won’t take much more to rip them off. 

I will buy some belted off road tires so that issue goes away.

I tend to show the misses what I just spent the money on, that way she can’t say no, she can whinge and whine but once it’s in my hands, not much she can do about it!! 😎

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Microspeed said:

I bought a 2nd chassis for less than a set of wheels for it costs and just picked up bits along the way. Now have a HW max6 esc, 3670 2650kv motor and a skyrc tx, 

I just need battery boxes ( going to run it on 4s till I fit a larger motor ) and a body but the wheelbase is 340mm, which is a weird size for bodies it seems.

no idea how much faster the dr8 will go but the tires are almost dinner plates already on a 15t, so it won’t take much more to rip them off. 

I will buy some belted off road tires so that issue goes away.

I tend to show the misses what I just spent the money on, that way she can’t say no, she can whinge and whine but once it’s in my hands, not much she can do about it!! 😎

Any recommendations for belted tyres, don't want to spend too much. I use mine primarily on grass in a large open area

8 hours ago, Microspeed said:

When I used the 17t with mine it got Red hot, but I may of had another issues at the time like knackered diff bearings?