• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

Im. Just about to go to the woods with the trx4, i would be taking the dr8 but i paggered it last weekend and the moter moved causing the pinion to go really stiff but then in good old ftx fashion theres enought lock tight on there to own shares in the factory so the screws rounded lol 

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Pointedscarab said:

Just bought one of these myself, 1st 1/8th scale after always having 1/10th buggies. Absolutely love it.

What diff oils are people using?  I prefer a little understeer when on the buggy tracks, suits my driving style better. Oil filled diffs are a new thing to me.

I went 30k front 100k centre and 20k rear 👍 Plenty of oversteer on 6s but I kinda like sliding it about .

I think you’ll need some experimentation with diff oil weights to get yours just right.

Lowering the centre diff oil will give you more drive to the front which will tame any oversteer 👍

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, drgreenthumb90 said:

Well i took the dr8 to the beach at the weekend and it died so so much for it been a desert truck lol, the moter somehow got sand in and its seized 

Is it burnt out or just stuck?

I’ve previously had sand in a motor can through the “spare” motor mounting holes - took it apart and emptied it and it was fine again afterwards 👍

5 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Is it burnt out or just stuck?

I’ve previously had sand in a motor can through the “spare” motor mounting holes - took it apart and emptied it and it was fine again afterwards 👍

Its crunchy so i rekon it jist needs a clean but i cant get the screws out of the moter mount its self 

On 29/06/2021 at 13:46, drgreenthumb90 said:

So took the moter out eventually and the magnets inside had all snapped so thats that nackerd 

Have you done any big jumps/hard landing with it? Ive heard of magnets failing because of that. 

Ive put a layer of silicone under the motor on mine, just as a bit of a softer cushion. 

On 29/06/2021 at 17:07, drgreenthumb90 said:

They was a couple of grains lituraly, lucky i have a spare surpass hobby to temporarily put in till i can get another hobbywing lol

Wow that does  not sound nice  at all  if it was a cheap knockoff  yeaa   but   Gods own brand  hobbywing  OMG . 

Serious note  how long you had it . If it's sort if new contact hobbywing tell them them might send you replacement parts to fix it . (That's if you can fix these ) .  

Well i had my 1st little issue yesterday at my local track.

I lost steering which turned out to be the servo saver had loosened right off,  so wasn't allowing the wheels to turn.

So something to keep an eye on as its nice and visible.

Nice quick fix reassembled with a bit of grease and back to bashing.

As a side note, my mate has just bought one off ebay, and it came with a 19 tooth pinion 😮 needless to say it absolutely flies even on 3s so thats my next mod i think

On 04/07/2021 at 09:02, Pointedscarab said:

Well i had my 1st little issue yesterday at my local track.

I lost steering which turned out to be the servo saver had loosened right off,  so wasn't allowing the wheels to turn.

So something to keep an eye on as its nice and visible.

Nice quick fix reassembled with a bit of grease and back to bashing.

As a side note, my mate has just bought one off ebay, and it came with a 19 tooth pinion 😮 needless to say it absolutely flies even on 3s so thats my next mod i think

Yes this has happened too.before and it carries on happening unless you put some locktite on I found lol 

On 01/07/2021 at 19:56, Iain .R said:

Wow that does  not sound nice  at all  if it was a cheap knockoff  yeaa   but   Gods own brand  hobbywing  OMG . 

Serious note  how long you had it . If it's sort if new contact hobbywing tell them them might send you replacement parts to fix it . (That's if you can fix these ) .  

Iknow I was shocked too man, iv had it ages tbh but its not been used as i converted a kyosho mad armour but the torque killed the diffs instantly and i lost intrest 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2021 at 21:11, drgreenthumb90 said:

Does anybody know any other body's that will fit please 

The DR8’s chassis/ wheelbase is longer than a standard 1/8 buggy so im guessing truggy bodies may fit .

Ive test fitted a couple of 1/8 MT bodies which seem to fit pretty well but would look better with someMT wheels  on 👍

9F2F98DC-83D5-496A-9A2C-D55914DC11D4.thumb.jpeg.7be0a533aa3316e45ded5433d331d2db.jpeg

609D0116-197E-4466-AFE5-8CB9FD085C62.thumb.jpeg.6de18da26bd2c80642d15aba41bfd5f4.jpeg

Edited by tomr
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/08/2021 at 09:42, martin34 said:

I am tempted to get one of these.For the money they seem really good.

They are awsome bud, iv hammered mine hit a curb ay 60 and it just broke a small aluminium piece cost a 5a to fix i highly reccomed them, maybe upgrade the tx rx as its a bit poo 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, drgreenthumb90 said:

They are awsome bud, iv hammered mine hit a curb ay 60 and it just broke a small aluminium piece cost a 5a to fix i highly reccomed them, maybe upgrade the tx rx as its a bit poo 

Thanks.I am going to order one in the week and already ordered the zd racing hubs.