• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

My centre diff has decided its oil should be on the outside not in 😞

I see people using anything from 100k to 500k, does anyone know what's in it from factory?

1 hour ago, Kyo said:

My centre diff has decided its oil should be on the outside not in 😞

I see people using anything from 100k to 500k, does anyone know what's in it from factory?

Mines got ear plugs in it 👍 IMO it’s made it more consistent but it also needs more finesse on accel or it’ll swap ends every time.  It’ll stand up much easier too, something mine didn’t before.   I had some diff issues, which I posted on here a while back, I didn’t have any fluid, so it made sense to try it and I’m glad I did. I still get the inside wheels spin up when the unload around a sharp turn, so maybe I need to put some thicker oil on the front and rear diffs, so I’ll be watching peoples replies to acquire some info 😎

Yea I did see you locked yours up, any issues with stripping spur or pinion doing that?

The wife snores like a trooper so I have plenty of earplugs to try it with 🤣

I might try the earplugs but also grab some 100k & 500k (and a new seal!). I don't really know what difference it will make so best try them all I suppose.

I can only add that I assume the thicker the oil, the less ‘slip’ we’ll get. I’m going to to get a selection of both diff and shock oils as one of the front shocks unscrewed after a bash, dripped all over my desk, made a right mess. I’ll then try them out and see what works for me.

ive ruined a pinion but I think that was a setup issue rather than anything else but I have swapped in a brand new 17t, so will see how that goes.

only current issue is a slightly bent front arm but it’s more twisted than bent, so it’ll do for now.

really want some belted tires next, can’t bring myself to pay £80 for some toy wheels! 

Hah same here - seeing those badlands had me tempted. Keen to widen it and improve the handling as it rolls pretty easily on grass.

I have a feeling I will be spending some dosh on diff oil instead!

What batteries are people running in these?  Got a few 1/10th vehicles but this is my first 1/8th 6s.  I have some low profile 3s GensAce which should fit but the battery tray seems a little small for a lot of other batteries.  I assume they are best laid on their side since there isnt a strap which goes lengthways across the tray?

Was looking for some single 6s batteries but most I have seen look a bit poor as far as C rating and places like CNHL barely have any stock for the UK warehouse.

I’ve got some 3s and I added longer straps to make sure they are well secure.

also got some 2s but as yet I’ve not run it on 4s, no point going slower is there? 😎

I have these:

Zeee 2S Lipo Battery 5200mAh 7.4V... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08YNGXYG9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And these:

GOLDBAT Lipo Battery 3S 5200mAh... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08ZYBKLJD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

No issues as yet.

2 hours ago, MrCake said:

What batteries are people running in these?  Got a few 1/10th vehicles but this is my first 1/8th 6s.  I have some low profile 3s GensAce which should fit but the battery tray seems a little small for a lot of other batteries.  I assume they are best laid on their side since there isnt a strap which goes lengthways across the tray?

Was looking for some single 6s batteries but most I have seen look a bit poor as far as C rating and places like CNHL barely have any stock for the UK warehouse.

I run 6s 5000mah 30c packs in mine and they work fine barely get warm 👍🏻

First run this morning and I love this thing already!  Gave it a test on 4s to make sure everything worked but then moved to 6s and think I will be sticking to that.  Couple of questions, is the ESC fan supposed to run all of the time as mine seemed to be off at one point?   Saw someone else had issues with these stopping or breaking but there was nothing obstructing mine and it was on again by the time I finished my session??  Does it only come on at a certain temperature? 

Secondly, does anyone tend to run a heatsink and fan as the motor did feel pretty warm for what was a short 400MAH session that I only ran the batteries down to 3.6v?

• Like 1

The fan on mine seems to be on all the time, most of the esc with fans I own do, seems to be the normal.  

I’m 3% from full batteries and then we’re all off to the park for some bashing before watching the race later, hopefully the sun stays out!

Belted wheels are next mod for mine, stop the balooning and stop the wandering under full load, then a paint job, not a fan of the oem graphics.

if you’re going to jump it, check the arm stops, small grub screws that limit the arm travel, mine were wound down, so I gained a bit by winding them up and gaining some travel. Wind them out for speed runs😎

and make sure all the shock ends are tight, ive had two unscrew and make a right mess 🥺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrCake said:

First run this morning and I love this thing already!  Gave it a test on 4s to make sure everything worked but then moved to 6s and think I will be sticking to that.  Couple of questions, is the ESC fan supposed to run all of the time as mine seemed to be off at one point?   Saw someone else had issues with these stopping or breaking but there was nothing obstructing mine and it was on again by the time I finished my session??  Does it only come on at a certain temperature? 

Secondly, does anyone tend to run a heatsink and fan as the motor did feel pretty warm for what was a short 400MAH session that I only ran the batteries down to 3.6v?

They’re great aren’t they! Pleased you’re enjoying it 👍🏻
Pretty sure my fan is constant, your  ESC temp must of been ok as no mention of it going into thermal, maybe something small got in and jammed it for a while? 
Only run mine on 6s and temps have never been hot enough to warrant a motor fan but some peeps like to fit them for peace of mind. 

• Thanks 1

I’m going to be fitting a fan, todays bashing with the 17t pinion and it got hot, so time for more cooling.

ran great, plenty of speed but being on the beach and on rough ground it didn’t get to go full chat for more than 30ft, took a few good jumps and hit a few rabbit holes, nothing broke so all good.

need to add some thread lock to the motor screws and the chassis screws, had a few rattle loose.

my son drove our brushless outlaw ( into my dr8 twice ) and ran it hard, jumps and all, nothing broke either,  sweet.  

just a shame the wind was so cold, not quite warm enough for a couple of hours down there, hands get cold so quick at the mo, you can’t get the clips out after a while!  No fun then, time for a cuppa 😎

• Like 1

Tested the fan just now and it worked so not too worried.  I forgot my temp gun but the back of the can did feel pretty toasty but I was hammering full power.  Will see what my next run is like.

Only issue is that I probably need to find somewhere better to run it as my usual woodland spot didnt really let it go flat out for very long 🤣

• Like 1

After several speed runs on 6s,  large open grass one off the tyres has split, exposing the insulation, managed to put it all back in with no issue thereafter. Would it help if i glue the tyre on the rim?

More urgently, twice fitted a new esc fan and both have failed, either debri has got in or something causing the blade to break. Last ran the car without the esc fan the heatsink got pretty hot!

Any recommendations for a durable alternative?

And finally the stock pinion failed on me lost some of the teeth sheered 😞

is this to be expected? Given that i have been doing long continuous speed runs?

Edited by ash2910

On 20/03/2022 at 17:57, ash2910 said:

After several speed runs on 6s,  large open grass one off the tyres has split, exposing the insulation, managed to put it all back in with no issue thereafter. Would it help if i glue the tyre on the rim?

More urgently, twice fitted a new esc fan and both have failed, either debri has got in or something causing the blade to break. Last ran the car without the esc fan the heatsink got pretty hot!

Any recommendations for a durable alternative?

And finally the stock pinion failed on me lost some of the teeth sheered 😞

is this to be expected? Given that i have been doing long continuous speed runs?

I have gone through 2 dead fans so far, running a Centro aluminium fan now which seems to be holding up fine.

Not had any issues with the stock pinion yet