• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hex screws vs Phillips screw kit

Gampla

Depends on the tools and the screws I guess. A weak screw will probably round out with a worn or bad tool. You are much less likely to slip out of a hex head though. If you are using normal Allen keys you are probably going to round out all the heads. 

If you use a self tapper then it shouldn't really need to be super tight, but machine screws with threadlock can be hard to get out. 

1 minute ago, Gampla said:

I don't use thread lock mines not really for bash mine is set up for touring race

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

In that case it doesn't matter so much. Just get what is easiest for you. 

Most of my screws ar near rounded off with racing I had like 30 mins to swap stuff out wheels change diff fluids ect but then the track I was at was running 10 races with 20 laps between other races

21 minutes ago, Gampla said:

Most of my screws ar near rounded off with racing I had like 30 mins to swap stuff out wheels change diff fluids ect but then the track I was at was running 10 races with 20 laps between other races

Probably the tools then. 

Make sure you have good tools and get 10.9 or 12.9 grade steel screws. Don't get stainless steel as most of them are weaker and more expensive. 

Edited by Jumper

• 1 year later...

Between these 2, I would choose hexagon screws. I find them much more useful than Philips screws because they are easier to tighten and loosen thanks to the 6 sides, and you can access them from 360 degrees, provided you have room to move your tools, while with Philips screws, the process is much harder. But the disadvantage for both is that they lose weight very quickly and have to be replaced over time. I consider that there are much better screw alternatives, such as self-tapping screws, because it has much longer durability and requires minimal preparation.

Edited by christense
  • Haha 1