• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What Nitro model to get

foxy

Hi all don’t know where to start but back in the day I had a hpi mt2 and I loved it and the hobby but life moved on and I lost interest. fast forward to now and I’ve got the bug back! my nephew has got a nitro truck and it’s got me wanting one again the question is a lot has changed since I owned a car so I’m looking for recommendations on which model to get me back into it.I don’t want to go down the cheap route as you end up repairing them more than actually using them ha ha so my budget it between £300 to £400 so hoping to get some knowledge off you guys. Thanks jay 

48 minutes ago, foxy said:

Hi all don’t know where to start but back in the day I had a hpi mt2 and I loved it and the hobby but life moved on and I lost interest. fast forward to now and I’ve got the bug back! my nephew has got a nitro truck and it’s got me wanting one again the question is a lot has changed since I owned a car so I’m looking for recommendations on which model to get me back into it.I don’t want to go down the cheap route as you end up repairing them more than actually using them ha ha so my budget it between £300 to £400 so hoping to get some knowledge off you guys. Thanks jay 

I would get a hobao buggy or truggy. They are pretty easy to get parts for as they've been around a while and they are all 1/8th scale so they are pretty solid. 

The kyosho mp9 tki4 is a good option as well. The inferno series are not so great. 

If you want a kit, the hyper St pro will be an absolute tank. It's a hyper St with all the upgrades out the box. 

There are also the hpi trophy buggy and truggy as well, but hpi can be a bit hard to get parts for now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On comparison between Hobao ST and HPI Trophy, I've got both and the Hobao is much more of a solid build, infact its rock solid, very well built and straightforward to build and strip down. I also have 2 Thunder Tiger S50 Sledge Hammer 4x4 Truck and SSK 1/10 truck, both *****!! more like toys they are, guaranteed to break something on every run!!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Hyper ST Pro is a smashing bit of kit and a joy to build, can't go wrong there.  RTR is just as robust too,  I have both... Infact the RTR is the guest car and gets driven by friends and family so takes a hell of a beating. (just stick a Pro rear chassis brace in there and maybe longer screws in the front steering knuckles) Loads of know how out there to make them even better as they are well known cars...   

And if you want to try brushless,  they are easy to convert,   As from the links in my Signature.

Edited by GorillaZilla
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the reply’s I would prefer something that is RTR just to get me back in the swing off things I’ve been looking at the Hobao Hyper 7 TQ2 21 are these something that would suit what I’m looking for? One again thanks for the reply’s 

Where are you running it?    Flat packed dirt,  or very short grass Hyper 7, 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-7-tq2-rtr-buggy-with-mac-28-turbo-engine-2-4ghz-radio-blue/rc-car-products/403864

Anywhere else the ST for £40 more

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-st-truggy-rtr/rc-car-products/26445

The other day when I was bashing on rough ground I realized how much more car the Hyper ST is,  my nephews hyper 7 really seemed to struggle,  wheres the hyper ST just seemed to fly/glide over everything,  And gets much better speed on grass.

• Thanks 1

One thing I noticed about The ST is that it does go up and down off even tall Curbs quite happily,  the 7 less so.....    Though the 7 does handle better on tarmac,  get some road tyres and put a rally shell on it,  some people do that to make them into rally cars

• Thanks 1

They hyper 7 is a great buggy.  If you are running on tarmac i would highly recommend getting some on road wheels as the pins on off road tyres wear really fast. also with the hyper 7 being cheaper, that the hyper st you'll be able to either get more fuel, upgrades or just save some money. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GorillaZilla said:

Now you made me think about that touring car shell thing,   wondering if I could find a shortcourse truck shell the right size to go on the ST along with some big ass bumpers to fit....

Do it mate would look ace 

1 hour ago, Jumper said:

They hyper 7 is a great buggy.  If you are running on tarmac i would highly recommend getting some on road wheels as the pins on off road tyres wear really fast. also with the hyper 7 being cheaper, that the hyper st you'll be able to either get more fuel, upgrades or just save some money. 

I do love the look off the hyper 7 and been reading there a good car for beginners too I’ve got till Friday to decide as that’s when I’m ordering one

Onroad tires work well on tarmac but If you are going to run on and off tarmac in the same area,  driving between the two,  then Badlands tires are a good middle ground.   They last a LOT longer than the small pin pattern tires on tarmac,  but still give you decent grip on grass and dirt.

Still, quick and easy enough to swap out wheels between running on different surfaces,  only takes a minute,   and if you get serrated wheelnuts you won't have to worry about them coming off long as you nip em up tight.

Edited by GorillaZilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will give them badlands a look mate then won’t have to change tyres all the time for different surfaces.cheers for all your info I appreciate it been out the hobby for as long as I have you forget the smallest things Lol but with this hobby your always learning that’s what I like about it.

Thought I would update you I’ve just ordered the hobao hyper St can’t wait to get going thanks for all your input it’s very much appreciated.

• Like 3

Tbh it's been updated so many times. I remember loads of people had issues 5 or so years ago, but now they seem pretty good from more recent reviews. I think a lot of people who buys these rtr nitros are noobs as well so they might find it hard to get on with if it's their first nitro. 

• Like 1

Tbh it's been updated so many times. I remember loads of people had issues 5 or so years ago, but now they seem pretty good from more recent reviews. I think a lot of people who buys these rtr nitros are noobs as well so they might find it hard to get on with if it's their first nitro. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GorillaZilla said:

The mac 28 is a powerful engine,   Not the easiest to work with but the juice is worth the squeeze.

They do tend to run happier on 20% nitro than 25% though

Yeh That’s what I’ve been reading but that’s the joy off this hobby the fun is getting stuck and learning as you go also a lot off patience. 

2 hours ago, Jumper said:

I’m a newbie really but I’ve done it before so I’m sure it will start to come back to me  if it takes time to tune then patience is the key it’s all a learning curve and there is plenty off help around including you guys.

• Like 2