• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ARRMA Kraton EXB - Extreme Bash Roller Speed Truck

Fly In My Soup

Utter nonsense.

First of all, this isn't a Kraton, nor is it marketed as a Kraton "upgrade". It's a "best of". Second, yeah there's a (very) few people who have high spec kratons. You do realise that the standard Kraton plus an M2C 7075 chassis alone blast past £650 easily? I also very much doubt that there's many "better spec'd" Kratons out there. I don't actually recall that many upgrades that a "fully spec'd Kraton" has, that this one hasn't. Of course, a "fully spec'd Kraton" will end up being around four digits. 

£430 is kit money. And, lets be clear: why wouldn't it be? It's kit-level equipment. 7075 all around, plenty of metal, and plastic where it needs be. The only difference is that this isn't (or i wouldn't consider it) a race-setup. I don't think anyone is considering it "a steal". It's a good price for what you get: a similar specced kit is more expensive. Why would you argue that an expensive chassis (and lets be clear: the material choice on this roller is pretty much spotless) has to be cheap because it's in a roller, rather than a kit? Compare it to the Associated RC8T3.1E kit, which retails for exactly the same price, and look how much is missing on that compared to this roller. Plastic shock towers, plastic braces, a-arms being literally a third the size of the EBRs etc. 

It's not a steal (nor do they argue it is), but it's well priced for what you get - which is all it needs to be.  How someone can look at this and go "well duh, why'd they charge so much", i mean, i dunno. What are they supposed to charge for a truck that's better spec'd than quite a few "high end race kits"? 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 2

It's near kit money but it's near kit spec, certainly with the 7075 parts. In fact most are 6061 T6. Probably doesn't have Ti coated shock shafts or chromoly drive shafts but does it need them? No but I bet this will survive super large jumps like the one at Paddlesworth without the chassis bending or arms breaking on all but the worst landings. 

• Like 1

I have a fully kitted out Kraton, not much on mine that I would regard as different in terms of upgrades to this, and I'm running WELL in excess of the all-in ~£600 it would cost to finish this roller.

Arrma made a good trade off making this a roller IMO, this thing is basically the finished article (Assuming the parts are actually all good), and by keeping it the same as pattern as the existing kraton, they opened up the upgrades to people who already have Kratons.

I'll certainly be investing in the improved differential parts.

As for aftermarket companies. They will probably see a bit of a hit, but they just have to step up their game and do something different.

• Like 2

I think it's a good value for what you get. It's aimed at an enthusiast who has some spare electronics to put in, maybe had a few other rc's already. Someone who is wanting to really send it. 

For me of I got this I would sell my hyper St as a roller and swap the electronics over. Would probably cost £300 rather than someone starting from scratch. 

Its also a lot cheaper and easier than buying the rtr and replacing all the parts once they break, so even though the initial cost might be more in the long run it could save you money. 

The rtr version is still there for people who want their first rc or maybe their first 1/8th and don't have electronics or just want to run on flat ground with smaller jumps. 

I am really liking what I'm seeing here and seriously considering pre ordering this beast of a roller.

Looking at the Max6 and 4985 1650kv combo as well, but does anyone know if the motor fits the stock mount without shimming the motor and centre diff mount? I know it's tight but some say it fits without modification and others say it needs shimming. Does anyone have first hand experience of fitting this motor in one of Arrmas 6s rigs?

• Like 1

I wouldn't know, sorry. What i can say is that people pointed out that it fits an M2C motor mounts with no modifications. Can't tell if the M2C motor mount is different in terms of design, haven't looked at it. Though it apparently runs pretty toasty in the Kraton, something to think about. 

Might stick with the Max6, keep the motor for another project and have a look around for something else. Potentially even the HS4092, at least you can fit a fan shroud to it. 

If in doubt, a Hobbystar 4092 would fit, plus a Max6 . 

Castle 1717 1650 ruled out, not gonna pay almost £200 for a motor alone (if you can find one in the UK in the first place - it's 6 weeks waiting list in the US already). 

edit: @D4v3

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/exb-recommend-me-some-electronics.24799/

Apparently the 4985 fits with no modifications according to that guy. Though a lot of love for the 1717. Hm.. -.-

edit2: found the 1717 pre-order in the UK - £215. Gotta pass on that one. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

As a sidenote, kinda interesting that the usual Arrma marketing director AussieRC hasn't got one. 

I wonder why. 🤔

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Haha 2

Yeah I've noticed a few people have commented that the 4985 runs hot in the 6s line of vehicles if you don't get the gearing spot on for the terrain you're driving on.

Cheers I will take a look at the HS4092 option as I can't find the Max6 4985 combo in stock anywhere in the UK at present anyway.👍

The truck is still 8 weeks away from release anyway, plenty of time. You could probably get it from rcmart and it'll still arrive before the roller. RCMart doesn't have a combo either.

Other than that, you're probably better off getting a naked Max6 and motor of choice. While i'm faffing around now, being convinced that i'd never pay £215 for a motor, if i can get one by the time the truck is dispatched, i probably have one. The "runs very cool" sold it to me, and the fact that everyone is just gobbling up those motors.

Edited by m4inbrain

18 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Ordered a Max6 + 1650kv combo - that'll do me. I've seen a lot of recommendations for the new Castle 1717 and MMX8s, but i can't imagine it being twice as good as a Max6 combo (which is virtually half the price). 

Good enough for me. Servo i'm not certain, but won't be a million bucks either. Probably, like RC DUDE throwing a 23kg Power HD at it, good enough. I'm not racing it.

I love the 1717 1650kv.... Proper nice motor.... Very versatile... I've had 4 now over the last few years

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

The new 1717 is sensored and is meant to be a little bit different to the older 1717, much like Castle motors in general, the older ones were better 👍 

Yeah, but apparently this one seems to be great. I of course wouldn't run it sensored.

Haven't made my mind up, my first impulse was "stupidly expensive, not gonna happen" - but that kinda always happens if i want things, and i still buy them in the end. 

@Fly In My Soup

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/castle-1717-1y-sensored-motor-1650kv-060-0081-00

It's this one. People be raving about it. I have no opinion of it, haven't seen videos or reviews yet. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah, but apparently this one seems to be great. I of course wouldn't run it sensored.

Haven't made my mind up, my first impulse was "stupidly expensive, not gonna happen" - but that kinda always happens if i want things, and i still buy them in the end. 

@Fly In My Soup

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/castle-1717-1y-sensored-motor-1650kv-060-0081-00

It's this one. People be raving about it. I have no opinion of it, haven't seen videos or reviews yet. 

Seems cool... Although the black can ones had excellent efficiency and ran cool anyway.... Even in heavy 1/6 platforms etc. 

Wonder if they improved the rotor laminating.... That's the only issue I ever had... Re did mine myself. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Seems cool... Although the black can ones had excellent efficiency and ran cool anyway.... Even in heavy 1/6 platforms etc. 

Wonder if they improved the rotor laminating.... That's the only issue I ever had... Re did mine myself. 

I honestly wouldn't have an idea.

This can is "rated" to 20lbs, but just a brief check on youtube revealed a guy running the Kraton 8s on it with an 18t pinion, popping wheelies for miles. He doesn't really say anything factual though, lots of advertisement for shops but that's it. No temp check or anything. According to him, apparently castle bench tests these on 9s. It should have a relatively easy life in a 10lbs roller on 6s. 

I've seen it for pre-order, messaged them asking when they expect stock. If it's before the ECX/EBR (what's this roller even called now?) ships, i'm tempted. I might even be tempted by a 1717/MMX8s combo, it'd be nice to run it sensored. Completely unnecessary, but i liked my Reventon sensored system (the only sensored one i ever owned) in a short course truck. Refreshing to not cog like mad.

edit: £414 for a 1717/MMX8s combo. Oof.. 

That said, the "smart-sense functionality", switching between sensored and sensorless on the run (sensored only to to get it rolling/preventing cogging, then switching to sensorless for efficiency/power) sounds really good. If it works flawlessly. 

Edited by m4inbrain

I'd like to know what these people consider hot, have any of them actually measured the temps? I've at least two rigs that regularly see 80C, have done for years, no sign of deterioration. Not saying my way is the way to go, but it hasn't stopped the party. 

Currently own three 1717s, two genuine, one clone. Only one in service, the others are in the parts bin. The one I'm using is in my Savvy, runs 6S and only sees around 50C. 

Unless you run this EXB geared 1:1, a 1717 should, in theory, carry it no problem, but people do like gearing to the moon!

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

I'd like to know what these people consider hot, have any of them actually measured the temps? I've at least two rigs that regularly see 80C, have done for years, no sign of deterioration. Not saying my way is the way to go, but it hasn't stopped the party. 

Currently own three 1717s, two genuine, one clone. Only one in service, the others are in the parts bin. The one I'm using is in my Savvy, runs 6S and only sees around 50C. 

Unless you run this EXB geared 1:1, a 1717 should, in theory, carry it no problem, but people do like gearing to the moon!

In regards to the 4985, 190F gets quoted a lot. Translated from cheeseburger to english, that's around 88 degrees - and that's indeed too hot for my liking. 

1717 are suggested precisely because they don't seem to be running  hot. In terms of gearing for the EXB, 20t pinion seems to be the way most want to go. So 20/50.

Edited by m4inbrain

2 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

In regards to the 4985, 190F gets quoted a lot. Translated from cheeseburger to english, that's around 88 degrees - and that's indeed too hot for my liking. 

1717 are suggested precisely because they don't seem to be running  hot. In terms of gearing for the EXB, 20t pinion seems to be the way most want to go.

Isn't 4985 pretty much the 1717 dimensions? 

And yeah, I stop at 80, 88 is too much (Marty!). We have to remember we're only measuring the outside of the can, not the core temps. 

Just now, Tug said:

Isn't 4985 pretty much the 1717 dimensions? 

And yeah, I stop at 80, 88 is too much (Marty!). We have to remember we're only measuring the outside of the can, not the core temps. 

I wouldn't know, sorry. They do look similar in size though, yes. 

As long as i don't intend to gather 1.21 Jiggawatts through a lightning strike, i wouldn't want to risk it. 88 degree can might be over 100 degrees core temp. 

😂😂😂. You not been around any of the Arrma FB groups or the Arrma forums there’s loads out there there are just as spec’d  as these 

It’s a nice roller but end off the days it’s nothing more than a upgraded Kraton which leads you to wonder are they doing it to kill off these little aftermarket companies ? Probably which is a shame as it’s these little companies with there aftermarket support that made these trucks so Desirable in the first place 

Be the same old same old out next month hyped to the hill used for a few weeks and stuck on the shelf by most then argued it’s the best thing in the world nothing changes really just a shame it’s taken Arrma 5 attempts to finally get it right (maybe)  still all makes for some nice Arrma Drama 😂

I love it when folks rate things they don’t have yet or use it once or twice and bang on about how great it is 😂😂😂

Right I’m off crack on chaps 👍

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I wouldn't know, sorry. They do look similar in size though, yes. 

As long as i don't intend to gather 1.21 Jiggawatts through a lightning strike, i wouldn't want to risk it. 88 degree can might be over 100 degrees core temp. 

Just checked, including fins they're 49.95mm x 85mm, so yes, it's another clone. At least it's a clone in my book, same dimensions and kv, it's a clone. 

Great Scott!

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

Just checked, including fins they're 49.95mm x 85mm, so yes, it's another clone. At least it's a clone in my book, same dimensions and kv, it's a clone. 

Great Scott!

Huh? What's a clone?