• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Official W.R.C.C.A ( Competition Crawler) Rules

stimpy

Welcome to the Rules book!!

Just to be absolutely clear here, these are not mandatory to have fun crawling! Infact, you can have fun crawling with anything!! But if you wanted to compete or build a rig within the guidelines for competition then here they are!! 

Sadly there are no Competition Crawler Class comps that run in the UK that I am aware of but a buddy of mine is working on it. As to the rest of the world, all is still very much active in the USA and Europe to an extent.

If you are interested in viewing the rules here is a direct link to the 2020 current World Radio Control Crawler Association rule book:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AFkkloN_zL7M1nuWUTmTyoLwcog9V3KO-Kqe67hNcAI/edit

Forgetting all the actual gating and driving points rules. The actual rig rules in a nutshell are this:

SECTION 2: Vehicle Requirements

2.1 - General: (Excluding Performance Scale Class which is written on section 2.6 forwards)

▪ 2.1.1 - Vehicles are limited to 4-wheeled vehicles only, unless special exemption is given to the class. These 4 wheels can be the only source of propulsion for the vehicle.

▪ 2.1.2 - All vehicle specifications regardless of class, body or bodiless the measurements are to be taken in the vehicle's ready to run condition while sitting on a flat surface (i.e. tech table).

▪ 2.1.3 - Wheelbase is measuring from centreline of front axle stub to centreline of rear axle stub.(See Section 6 Wheelbase)

▪ 2.1.4 - The vehicle's roof must be raised a minimum of 1”/25.4mm. from the main chassis to resemble a cockpit. The frame sides must be an overall minimum of 1”/25.4mm tall (The cockpit & frame side are to be measured vertically from where the hood intersects the cab). 

2.1.5 -Vehicles should resemble a 1:1 vehicle.

▪ 2.1.6 - Shocks and fasteners (nuts, bolts, washers, or spacers) shall not be included in the measurements of the vehicle.

▪ 2.1.7 - Vehicles body/ bodiless measurements must reach a minimum of (A) width, (B) length, and (C) height. Measurements may include, but not limited to bumpers, stingers, frame-rails, side-rails, skid plates, roof, hood, and side panels. See Illustration B.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NISP2wzGMcLYelmWNgANKNHg4ohMLFfA4ipwhYzvrKuMBoQ_wLYNMKRkB62hiJKoF4MxCz0_Hdr5TKl7SU0rHAMmk3wu6oM34uO2KXrKU6Qrec4IsIrpwW4ydlQrCbf0JQ

Illustration B.

▪ 2.1.8 - Winching down of the axles is allowed. The winch line must be attached within a 1/2"/12.7mm of the centre of the axle, and by a single attachment point only.

▪ 2.1.9 - There are no limitations on the amount of radio channels used on a vehicle. Unless 

specified in the class rules.

Measurement methods - Vehicle track width is determined by measuring the bottom of the outermost edge of the front and rear tires while the vehicle is sitting on level ground. 

Vehicle wheelbase is determined by the distance between the axle shafts in a resting position , at no point during articulation of the suspension must the wheelbase exceed the specific classes maximum amount.

Classes

2.2 - Super Class:

▪ 2.2.1 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a minimum of 16”/406.4mm. and a maximum of 18”/457.2mm.

▪ 2.2.2 - No limits to steering configuration.

▪ 2.2.3 - Wheel/ rim is limited to a minimum 3.2”/81.28mm or larger at the bead surface. Wheels may be modified provided that the tire bead surface is not less than 3.2”/81.28mm. in diameter. 

▪ 2.2.4 - Tires may be modified from other size tires using only a pliable rubber.

▪ 2.2.5 - Vehicle body/ bodiless measurements must be greater than or equal to 12"/304.8mm. overall length, 3"/76.2mm. overall width, and 3"/76.2mm. overall height.

2.3 - Pro Class: ( This is our 2.2 MOA rig)

▪ 2.3.1 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a maximum of 12.5”/317.5mm.

▪ 2.3.2 - Vehicle track width is limited to a maximum of 12.5”/317.5mm. 

▪ 2.3.3 - Wheel/ rim is limited to 2.2”/55.88mm or smaller at the bead surface. Wheels may be modified provided that the tire bead surface does not exceed 2.2”/55.88mm in diameter. With a tire mounted no exterior component of the wheel including but not limited to the bead lock ring shall exceed 2.55"/64.77mm. 

2.3.4 - Tires may be modified from other sized tires using only a pliable rubber but must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 6”/152.4mm.

▪ 2.3.5 - Vehicles are limited to 2-wheel steering only.

▪ 2.3.6 - Vehicle body/ bodiless measurements must be greater than or equal to 8"/203.2mm overall length, 3"/76.2mm overall width, and 3"/76.2mm overall height.

▪ 2.3.7 - Limited to two motors.

2.4 - Mini Class:

▪ 2.4.1 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a maximum of 8.5”/215.9mm.

▪ 2.4.2 - Vehicle track width is limited to a maximum of 8.5”/215.9mm. 

▪ 2.4.3 - Wheel/ rim is limited to 1.9”/48.26mm or smaller at the bead surface. Wheels may be modified provided that the tire bead surface does not exceed 1.9”/48.26mm in diameter. With a tire mounted no exterior component of the wheel including but not limited to the bead lock ring shall exceed 2.2”/55.88mm

▪ 2.4.4 - Tires may be modified from other sized tires using only a pliable rubber but must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 4.95”/125.73mm.

▪ 2.4.5 - Vehicles are limited to 2-wheel steering on front axle only.

▪ 2.4.6 - Vehicles are limited to the use of 2 channels radio control (one for steering & one for throttle) only. Neither channel can be used to perform more than one function. Radio systems with more than 2 channels are allowed but only 2 channels can be used to control the vehicle.

▪ 2.4.7 - Vehicles are limited to 1 ESC & 1 servo only.

2.4.8 - Vehicles are limited to 1 motor powering both of the axles.

2.4.9 - No driver controlled devices, other than steering and throttle control, will be allowed. Independent throttle control to the front or rear axles (“burn” or “dig”),(winching down the axles, and forced articulation are not allowed in this class.)

▪ 2.4.10 - Vehicle body/ bodiless measurements must be greater than or equal to 6.75"/171.54mm overall length, 2.5"/63.5mm overall width, and 2.75"/69.85mm overall height.

2.5 - Sportsman Class: (This is our Sporty or Shafty rig)

▪ 2.5.1 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a maximum of 12.5”/317.5mm.

▪ 2.5.2 - Vehicle track width is limited to a maximum of 12.5”/317.5mm. 

▪ 2.5.3 - Wheel/ rim is limited to 2.2”/55.88mm or smaller at the bead surface. Wheels may be modified, provided that the tire bead surface does not exceed 2.2”/55.88mm in diameter. With a tire mounted, no exterior component of the wheel, including but not limited to, the bead lock ring shall exceed 2.55"/64.77mm. 

▪ 2.5.4 -Tires may be modified from other sized tires using only a pliable rubber, but must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 6 inches.

(Copied directly from the WRCCA Google Download)

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 1

Just now, Andy-Roo said:

I think my brain just melted 🤪

Its a bit boring them rules eh??... Don't worry, they can all be simplified.... Or of course all ignored if one fancies!!

And anyway... You don't need to concern yourself with these yet!!! Once you've completed your truck and then the missus's then come back in here and build a real performance crawler!!! Haha...

• Haha 1

• .AJ. pinned this topic
  • .AJ. unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...
19 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Is this correct?

Certainly not Nationals in the UK but there are some small groups that set gates out. PLEASE DO CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!!

There are still plenty in Europe, infact it has been my dream to go to the Euros - can't drive for toffee and never practice but it would be great to see. Have discussed going with a buddy of mine but not got my game together yet....🙈 

On 03/07/2021 at 19:56, Fly In My Soup said:

I wouldn't have a clue dude...

Just noticed what you'd wrote amd wondered if there are any comps that have been running before in the UK.

The sst has the Kom this year...so was just interested

There did used to be comps here but was quite a few years ago now.

With the popularity of scale crawl, then scale comp, there has certainly been more interest in 2.2 comp now again but not big numbers. Ultimately the populous prefer a scale look.... Personally I love the tech and geometry in 2.2 comp crawlers.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Don't see any mention of windows in the top post. 

Sure I read about windscreen being needed or is that a different rule set?

Checking dims I just squeeze into 2.2 

Pro class.  Moa  I've had to lock the rear axle though. Getting used to no independent rear steer has taken a little time. 

Based on a bully 2 but  custom

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2022 at 19:28, eLuSiVeMiTe said:

Don't see any mention of windows in the top post. 

Sure I read about windscreen being needed or is that a different rule set?

Checking dims I just squeeze into 2.2 

Pro class.  Moa  I've had to lock the rear axle though. Getting used to no independent rear steer has taken a little time. 

Based on a bully 2 but  custom

Hey up..

So the windscreen rule I'm pretty sure is stricter in SORRCA - the scale stuff, if I remember correctly it definitely applies to C1 and possibly C2 but would need to look it up. As for  our comp 2.2 rigs I believe the "must resemble a real vehicle body" rule would mean a windscreen shape certainly is required..

Bully2 is a great rig. I run a bully2 chassis on some XR10 axles. As for rear steer, I've certainly seen plenty do the conversion on the bully, but it's not for me, makes it too capable and I like the limitations of the rules. Motor mixing, dig and burn are plenty fun 🤗

(Oh, and best get a piece up in the pic thread - be great to see the rig 👍)

• 1 year later...