• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

any one tried the team corally triton?

Yrkoon

i took a punt on one of these for 135 quid https://www.modelsport.co.uk/corally-triton-sp-2wd-monster-truck-1-10-brushed-rtr/rc-car-products/444076

just wondering it any one else has one and know's of any bits that would benefit from a upgrade, overall first impression is that it is pretty well built and so far seems to be a solid little truck that likes to wheely and over specced for the money.

changed the front shock oil to some tamiya soft oil i had kicking around and tightend the servo safer a tad, it handles better now after initially handling like a bath tub lol and had a go with it in a muddy garden with rain going on earlier, got it doing doughnuts and stuff on the wet mud.

dad and i  are pretty impressed with it considering the money spent and it has had some hard impacts with nothing breaking, also got a 12 turn 550 motor kicking about that came with my bandit xl-5, guess ill use that when the stock 15 turn 550 motor goes kaput :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

They are very robust and well built i did do a few videos on my youtube channel covering it in some detail and a few mods i did etc!

Very pleased with mine i changed the brushed setup to a cheap goolrc brushless and it's great fun.

On 3s it will not keep the front wheels down also incredibly quick but difficult to control at high speed with the high COG.

Great truck love it! 

• Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 10:27, iRiCkYx said:

They are very robust and well built i did do a few videos on my youtube channel covering it in some detail and a few mods i did etc!

Very pleased with mine i changed the brushed setup to a cheap goolrc brushless and it's great fun.

On 3s it will not keep the front wheels down also incredibly quick but difficult to control at high speed with the high COG.

Great truck love it! 

what esc and motor did you put in it? im tempted for a moderate brushless upgrade after using dads one :)

i tried my bandits original motor in it recently and the motor gave up after about 10 mins of lacklustre performance, back to the stock one lol

only problem i have is some screws particularly the ones holding the front suspension arms hub carriers etc can come lose, a wee bit of super glue and no probs since, also using a tamiya servo saver :)

oh dads brushless one wont keep the front wheels down either and thats stock on 2s lol

edit: dad just tried to give me his durga i gave him before back..... too high maintence for me but he says i can take the brushless system back, it's a 3250 kv 4 pole 540, that would be fun to try in my triton. i was like nah do not want but ill take its esc and motor and he was like sure, he isn't keen on the durga but if that esc and motor are inbetween the brushed and brushless one i would be very happy, if it doesnt work out in the triton my drifter or sandviper would like it :)

Edited by Yrkoon

On 27/06/2020 at 00:05, Yrkoon said:

what esc and motor did you put in it? im tempted for a moderate brushless upgrade after using dads one :)

i tried my bandits original motor in it recently and the motor gave up after about 10 mins of lacklustre performance, back to the stock one lol

only problem i have is some screws particularly the ones holding the front suspension arms hub carriers etc can come lose, a wee bit of super glue and no probs since, also using a tamiya servo saver :)

oh dads brushless one wont keep the front wheels down either and thats stock on 2s lol

edit: dad just tried to give me his durga i gave him before back..... too high maintence for me but he says i can take the brushless system back, it's a 3250 kv 4 pole 540, that would be fun to try in my triton. i was like nah do not want but ill take its esc and motor and he was like sure, he isn't keen on the durga but if that esc and motor are inbetween the brushed and brushless one i would be very happy, if it doesnt work out in the triton my drifter or sandviper would like it :)

a very cheap £35 GoolRC esc and motor! Does the job nothing special no thrills and yeah 2s and 3s mental. 

The issues you are having with the screws i also had i think its a design issue in general and one of the only issues i have had with mine was the screws constantly coming loose so i just threadlocked them and no issues since.  

• Like 1

might go the gool route as well, i tried the durgas brushless earlier and it was a pretty good improvement but the esc is getting very hot and the motor has mental cogging, gonna try a fan on it and a smaller pinion and see how it goes :)

Edited by Yrkoon

I'm running a Triton with a 4600Kv Castle system and 2s lipo. It is a beast of a truck and takes a hit like an absolute champ! I removed the fake spotlights and replaced the wheels & tyres with a set of Pro-Line wheels, sporting Trenchers.

I had issues with the shocks; specifically, the holes in the shock pistons were not formed properly. Drilled them out and then filled shocks with 30 weight TLR oil. They are much better, now.

Also had to remove the wheelie bar (initially modified it, to give more wheelie angle, but it would still send the truck tumbling), which now means it can sit happily at near-vertical on the back of the body shell.

Finally, I had to replace the AWFUL sevo saver with the Corally HD upgraded one. It needed drilled, as it's universal and not specific to this truck. For a while, I ran the standard servo saver, with the internal spring compressed using some added stops, but that didn't last long.

Now, she's very sorted and a hoot to drive. Sometimes difficult to handle, given the short wheelbase and big power, but it's fun! :good:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SgtStress said:

How are you finding it with 30WT shocks? Thats a lot thinner than specified as stock. I have some 40WT kicking around and tempted to use it for the mammoth

It is. Recommended was 1000csp, which is the equivalent of TLR 80 weight. So I tried 80 weight and it flat-out didn't work. Then 55 weight; better, but not good. The 30 weight runs, jumps and lands really well.

40 will probably be fine. Even the 55 would have run OK-ish, had I known the shock pistons were a bit naffed up.

• Thanks 1

Well issues with one of the rear shocks - it moves a lot slower than the other, and this was before draining and re-filling with 40WT. Not sure why this is, it looks like all 4 holes in the shock seem to be formed properly. Guess ill have to strip them fully and rebuild them both :(

made use of the free shipping when i was buying a hyper vse so also got a 4 quid fan for the esc and a 15 tooth pinion on the way, if i can get the esc to behave temp wise i reckon it will be about right.

if it doesnt ill just grab a gool system, as the motor im using has always been a bit of a problem but it stayed cool unlike it's esc  :)

stock pinion was to long on the shaft for brushless motor so i used a random one that fitted the gears and feels like a tamiya one lol

Edited by Yrkoon

well the fastrax 4 quid fan is working fine on the brushless esc im using, got quite a bit of time with it compared to before, before taking it in and no thermal limit issues like conking out or stuttering, noticed the motor felt a bit hot for my liking so ill mess with pinions and see what happens and i also put a speccy rx in it for my dx3c :)

edit : hehe just watched some of rickys you tube vids always good to put a name to the face, liked and subscribed of course, pretty kool how u make ur garden entertaining, nice editing and i found it entertaining  but wont some one think of that poor stock motor that gallantly gave it's life lol   :P

the manual does say 2 or 3s hehe

Edited by Yrkoon

well got my electrics sorted, put a 10 tooth rw pinion on the triton earlier and it is going pretty sweet without the motor or esc heating up plus the esc fan really helps too, seems a nice medium between the madness of the brushless version and the stock brushed system and im pretty happy with how it is going now with a old team orion vortex touring brushless system @3250kv :)

put a traxxas servo saver on it earlier as well but it broke when i hit a tree a wee bit then put a tamiya one on it and broke that against a curb so im back to the stock one again for the moment and the awful steering lol

IaVrirc.jpg

VukU6QM.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, SamL said:

@Yrkoon did the other servo savers make a big difference? I modified the stock version slightly by adding a couple of bits of plastic each side of the spring to tighten it but it still feels pretty rubbish.

yeh they made it turn a fair bit better but im back to the stock one at moment becuase i broke the others lol

12 hours ago, Yrkoon said:

yeh they made it turn a fair bit better but im back to the stock one at moment becuase i broke the others lol

yeh the stock servo saver with the traxxas spring i fixed up for you lol 🍻

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

i noticed the edges on dads rims were looking the worst for wear the other day when i had a shot, for all the guys that have sorted the steering, what servo savers done it for you?

im thinking of that hd universal corrally one as the traxxas one didnt work out or even a tamiya hd one like the durga has or even a metal horn for a stock tamiya and all they options are getting a bit pricey for a stab in the dark  :(

dad is still running a traxxas one and it was flipping all over the other day but something went wrong with his steering, kept going right of trim, dunno what it was he hasnt mentioned :P

Edited by Yrkoon