• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Show us ‘Yer 2.2 Sporty or MOA Rig!!

stimpy

• .AJ. unpinned this topic
  • .AJ. pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Bit of an update for this chat. 

My own designed chassis is growing closer and closer  to being right. Need a slight change of rear link mount to help with suck down. And redesign the shock mounts at the rear to then. Also need to sand the chassis down a little bit more to get it looking better. But chucky in places still.  Lots of little bits to adjust still  

IMG_20210409_155130.jpg

IMG_20210409_155123.jpg

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Hell horn. said:

I'd look at the upgraded front axles. The stock ones are crap. The upgraded ones are so much better. 

Apart from that.  A fantastic little car. 

I think you mean axle shafts perhaps man!... 

This is with respect to the standard CVDs the kit comes with - some have had a lot of play in, some apparently have not...

@aPpYe Good looking rig. I also have a Bully2, albeit I run the body with my XR10 axles currently....

What turn motors do you have currently? You may be able to use a smaller pinion to bring the speed down. Only point of note is your rear lower links want to be the other way round ideally - so they start with a long rod and curve from the skid.... ( But you may prefer this as is perhaps...)

I had thought the Bully II axles were much improved upon the originals?  Or is it the CVD thing as Stimpy suggested?

Yeah, I know about the rear links.  I kept bending them and reinstalling them, just a little at a time to get the motor clearance I was after, then I installed them backwards the last time I guess!  I keep meaning to get around to it, but I have a couple of stripped bolt heads.  Cheap tools and cheap screws I guess.  Time to grab the rotary tool ...

Yes it's the joints in the front axle shafts. I had 3 sets of them that had massive amounts of play in them.  A lot of people in the groups also had issues with them. If yours has no crazy amounts of play in them your all good. But it's worth upgrading them anyway.  The upgraded ones are a vast improvement. 

Apart from that.  It's a brilliant car. 

Did you get the new tyres and foam with it? 

Now comes with 2 stage foam in them 

On 29/06/2021 at 20:47, aPpYe said:

Oh yeah.  16t crawlmaster sport motors.  I should have gone for the 20t I guess.  Once I dialed in my control stick's d/r curves, I have all the control I want really.

s

I run 16t on most of my crawlers. 👍

All is good with this car.  I swapped the links around.  I had R&R'd them so many times trying to get the right amount of clearance (they wanted to touch one of the contacts on the motor) and I ended up putting them on backwards.  Derp.  

I am happy with the 16t, totally.  When these burn out I'll go for a 20t just for more low end control, but I probably won't notice the difference.   On 3s, this thing tops out at maybe 15mph?  12?  Faster than I can run most likely.  On 2s, it is a bit more sane.  I still can't decide which one I like better.  The 3s is 75c, and the 2s is 40c ...

Are the U Joints just tighter?   More durable?  I have not had any issues with the axles it came with.  I'm trying to imagine a situation where play in the axle matters ...

I don't remember what foam I got.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheers Stimp 👍🏻

Made a little course around the living room yesterday with the youngest, was great fun. Deffo more capable than it was out of the box. Easily climbing over the ol’ 2L drinks bottle and scaling the famed bits of wood up to the sofa obstacles 😂

Cog is so very low, driving up a wall the rears are almost touching before it flips. Need to do a job on the wheels though. Those tires are quite hard and the wheels are light. Managed to climb probably 45 deg ply but over that it just slips back down. The lightest finger poke on the front end had it easily climbing the same ply at like 70 deg so I guess a load of weight in the front will do a similar job? 🙂 

4 hours ago, Ross9999992 said:

Cheers Stimp 👍🏻

Made a little course around the living room yesterday with the youngest, was great fun. Deffo more capable than it was out of the box. Easily climbing over the ol’ 2L drinks bottle and scaling the famed bits of wood up to the sofa obstacles 😂

Cog is so very low, driving up a wall the rears are almost touching before it flips. Need to do a job on the wheels though. Those tires are quite hard and the wheels are light. Managed to climb probably 45 deg ply but over that it just slips back down. The lightest finger poke on the front end had it easily climbing the same ply at like 70 deg so I guess a load of weight in the front will do a similar job? 🙂 

Hard tyres will play a large part in your issue. Some weight over the front axle can help, generally we are looking for a 60/40 weight bias without going too wild!... Hard to tell from the pic re links but what you want is when the front end unloads is for the front axle to rotate forward - this can be done by altering link lengths - which will then give more bite to the front 👍

Forgot to post , but managed a day up at black rocks with MRCC and some other chaps the other month... spacer.png

spacer.png

Had a brilliant day there as usual though the rocks were not so grippy as it was cold so mostly ran the Scale LCG rig instead of the MOA. 

The last time I was here I was running the Y Town chassis which I love , but this bully chassis offers better rear link positions so that in part accounted for greater success 👍

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Hard tyres will play a large part in your issue.

Yeah for sure, I was going to do the old soaking in wd40 but I watched a video where that actually enlarged the tires which is clearly not what I’m after…gonna brush them over (to avoid the beads) once I’ve given them a chopping though to see if that helps.

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Hard to tell from the pic re links but what you want is when the front end unloads is for the front axle to rotate forward - this can be done by altering link lengths

That is currently what happens though only a tiny amount. I did look into the geometry and stuff while building it but that was a couple of years ago originally so I’ve since forgotten everything of course 😂

I’ve marked my top links in the pic there, if I straighten (lengthen) them then it kinda squishes itself up (shortens) after climbing some things, as it is it kinda pulls itself down to the floor. I forget why though 🤦🏼‍♂️

B0FC266E-46E1-449E-8394-3E7D063714A6.jpeg

Edited by Ross9999992
  • Like 1

Again hard without it in front of me but I'd say the rear doesn't look awful, the front upper chassis link could do with being lower. Your axles are very different to comp ones but essentially our front upper chassis point wants to be lower than the axle mount point with the upper links...

Goodluck!