• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hellhorn herja chassis development journey

Hell horn.

So I have had plenty of scale Crawlera now. I was wanting to do something different. So I looked in to a different class of Crawler. After some research I found the sporty class. A more full on rock Crawler.  But not overly crazy like some of the moa ones around.  

I stated by heavily modding my gmade r1 chassis.  To get it low and light. Then moved on to making a carbon fibre chassis my self.   Got that almost sorted and then stimpy made me an offer I couldn't resist.  A lovely little ugc chassis and bits.  So after sorting a deal with him.  I'm now half way to building this up. 

Ugc chassis. Ar60s. Scx10 gearbox for now. Ci wheels with rovers. Custom made upper carbon fiber links.  Alu front lower. Steel rear.  

Behind axle steering.   

In the post to me is a set of dlux link/servo mounts. And some spools. 

Next order will be ud/od and vanquish slw hubs.  After that possible beter shocks and a lighter gearbox for it. 

Still needs a lot of messing with and some better parts. But I'm super happy with how it's turning out.   More custom bits to make yet.  

IMG_20200507_195852.jpg

IMG_20200425_163705.jpg

IMG_20200430_151124.jpg

Edited by Hell horn.
  • Like 3

Man she just keeps getting better and better 👍

Cant wait till we can get out for a crawl  - hopefully I’ll have a sporty built up again by then! If not I’ll have to use the MOA 🙀🤪

• Like 1

Well my parts are now in the Uk. So hopefully not to long before I can get my hands on them.  Front and rear servo/link mounts. Spools. And a cuple little bits. And then from rcbitz. An overdrive set up.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Picked up some .4mm  lexen sheet to remake panels. And some more 4mm carbon rod. Makes for fantastic upper links. Super light and strong. But with a bit of flex to help with bumps.  Fingers crossed I have something rather nice in the post on its way to me to. 

Next for this is some nice wrap for it.any one any ideas who could make me some cool skins for it. That don't cost the earth. Thanks guys 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My parcel from dlux finally arrived. Early Christmas present from my wife's parents. 

Super nice but if kit. Simple to build. But feel amazing. Just Need to sort my spare sump plate out for it. And it will all be fitted. 

IMG_20201122_161354.jpg

IMG_20201122_164605.jpg

IMG_20201122_163713.jpg

IMG_20201122_165619.jpg

Much lol.  Unfortunately nothing as fun as that. Blood pressure tablets.  Helps to stop my heart from bursting out of my chest. Alien style. 

My sporty is most definitely getting there now. 

• Like 1

Swapped the shocks. Shorter by 20mmm. Much nicer now. Moved rx around again. Think this is now in the right place. All feels nice now. Could do with some slightly softer springs.  

Gets a good amount of flex. 

IMG_20201126_192657.jpg

IMG_20201126_192650.jpg

IMG_20201126_192420.jpg

• Like 1

Bit of messing around with link mount points. Seems to be as good as I can get it now. Plenty of suspension drop and good ride hight. Nothing binds up now. Just need to get my wheels sorted. Working on that currently.  Then it's shocks and lighter springs. Then it's new lockers. Dlux tight ones. To stop the slop in them. After that. It's just about finished. 

IMG_20201130_182222.jpg

IMG_20201130_182242.jpg

IMG_20201130_182046.jpg

• Like 1

• Hell horn. changed the title to Hellhorn herja chassis development journey