• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Beginner Heli

I know this thread has been done to death, but most of them are old. I see the atom fixed pitch is recommended but no longer available. I had trex 100 few years ago and got along well with that. Never went any bigger because got into the cars. Is there any recommendations out there looking for something outdoors to use in garden, budget of 150

MCPX is CP and old now... it also had a habit of self destructing on anything more than a perfect landing...I know my father has various MCPX carcasses dotted around the garage.

I have a 120SR as does my father (he also has the later 120S), and being an old flybar design, it has some rather strange flight characteristics - I much prefer flying my original MSR around the lounge, as while it is also an old flybar design, the oddities are slightly less pronounced in the smaller bird.  The 120S is marginally better in this respect.

Another option is a used 200SRX, a very nice flybarless & brushless 200 size heli, my father has one of these too, and I've flown it briefly, and liked it.  I bought a little XK K110 a year or so ago, and while its CP, it has a very capable 6G gyro that allows even a complete beginner to do basic hovering and fly circles. And when you've gained some more experience you can really wing it around in 6G and even progress to some 3D should you so desire. Cheap as chips too for what you get, though most likely wil have to come from China.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks like it is meant to charge either from a car 12v battery or a standard say... yuasa 12v battery as an example or a 3s lipo will do.  Why not have a look to see if you can get a mains 230v adapter for it that will give you  12v  and 1.5amp or more of power.

I did have a hunt around yesterday to see what people are using and like you said most common I saw was the car battery. Was just curious to see if it could just charge straight of the balance board on my lipo charger but tried yesterday and can’t

I’ve actually tried the first method, but on this particular charger it needs a feed from both the balance port and the usual banana sockets. I did contact wheelspin models and they said this charger won’t support those batteries. So just looking at other options at the moment 

Thanks for the replies Mack took your advice on the second one. From what I’ve made out this should work 1 in the balance board, banana plugs in. Also what amp should these be charged at, not use to these as been on petrol cars for a while

648AC1F6-8E0E-4E8D-A87E-077EF36B90E2.png

It has been a while so please double check. If you charge 2 batteries at a time the lipo charger should be set at 0.5A assuming 250mah each.

Edited by Mack1