• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rhodey's Budget TRX4 D110

Soooooo after a little spending spree on the trx, I ended up buying the HW1080 for a mear £34.08 😎 which I felt was a good price.

Aswell as a Yeah Racing Hackmoto 35T V2 motor (as I know Simon at Greens Models stocks the springs and brushed for a rebuild) for a grand total of £21.56.. again 😎lol..

Screenshot_20200629-211925_eBay.thumb.jpg.7b66792ec79e7ff8b8e3b1c7757e9b86.jpg

My next question for the vast knowledge of you guys is; what tyres would you guys reccomend off the ModelSport website? I run on mostly on rock, sandstone and mud.

I have heard great things about the hyrax's and the Gmades have a good rep too but I figured you guys probably have a much more testing under the belt than I do.

If you could list what tyres you use on what rigs for comparison and what you would like to use / reccomend it would be greatly appreciated this end.

Thanks in advance peeps! ✌

P.S @stimpy, the scrunchies will be getting tested soon as the tyres land 😁

Great purchases!!..

Re tyres, I personally haven't done enough testing on them but its hard not to recommend the hyraxes in predator compound for a performance tyre... If you were more mud biased then some sort of super swamper type tread would be better definitely, but with a bias on rock id pick a rock tyre all day long... The added bonus with the proline tyres are their prices which are really very reasonable.

That said, pretty sure MS sold out them in 24hrs.... But Wheelspin did have stock last I checked...

I "think" I may prefer the Ottsix KLR over the hyraxes (Not the X4s I had on the toyzuki but their regular offering)but they're not cheap and hard to get hold of....

• Thanks 1

Cheers gents! As always the knowledge is always welcome!

@Andy-Roo I was looking at these earlier they are quite abit like the BF Goodrich Baja's I used to run on my disco back a few years.. love the look of them and if the predator compound is as good as I've read about, they might well be the winners..

@stimpy, thanks brother! 👍🏻😁 I  went with the Hackmoto due to HH trailmaster being in short supply in the UK atm 🙁

To me though if they sold out in 24hrs, that's a good sign, but the reason I'm using MS atm is I won the weekly prize this week so.. £20 off new boots! 😁 and budget, budget, budget! 

But I'm still not sure on a certain winner yet..

I'm going to have to watch a few youtube comparison vids and I'm thinking about drilling some vent holes in the wheels I bought, as I've had some flat spot woes of late.. thoughts on this guys?

Thanks again the help is well recieved

😁

Edited by WreckitRhodey

I do @Andy-Roo, I think I may have punctured the back tyres on the trail as it seems to let the air out but wont draw it back in. The front dont do it they stay soft but pressured like they should but the backs look knackered after being on the ground for 5 mins.

I should have took a pic really last time I took it out.. 🤦🏼‍♂️

But the cheap chinese triple stage foams aren't bad but still aren't the best, I dont think they help too much lol.

As they guys have said - Proline Hyrax in predator compound with dual stage foams. Both my TRX's run Hyrax, as does my Vanquish. My Enduro is on Proline BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tyres in predator compound with, you guessed it, dual stage foams 🤣 They are all good and the predator compound Hyrax are a really nice rock type.

• Like 1

Cheers @CarlC!

I am swayed towards them tbh, as I mostly run on sandstone or loose'ish gravel/duckers..  The two stages are on the list, but a guy on a fb page I follow mentioned he'd had really good results running on Predator compound with 130mm hair scrunchies for inserts.. Got to be worth a try for under a skydiver🤷🏼‍♂️.

But if all else fails I've got the 3 stages, the stock traxxas foams to fall back on but will definitely look at the two stages as they seem to be a massive contender.

Thanks again for the input Carl, it appreciated buddy! ✌🏻

@WreckitRhodey And the Hyrax will come with single stage foams as standard anyway. I have bags of them where I keep changing them for dual stage lol. Looking forward to seeing what your hair scrunchie experiment is like.

Edited by CarlC
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @CarlC!

I did see the inserts on the modelsport page, but wasn't sure if it was just for illustration/photography purposes.

I think from the vids the chap uploaded that they make pretty good inserts and from what they are made of, water getting in shouldn't really be an issue, so venting shouldn't be too much of an problem I.E not having to vent them after every dip.

But I'll take pics incase it's a good mod and start a thread with a "how to" for shape if any mods are needed 😁

• Like 1

FWIW I ran Pitbull Rock Beasts (not XL) this weekend gone on wet gritty mud and slippery rocks and they performed well, but not nearly as well as an identical rig with the Predator Hyrax boots on. Granted the other rig had better weight bias but those tyres we just gripping much better and he managed to go places I couldn't which I  rectified this AM by ordering 2 pair from some random on Ebay.

Obviously dual stage foams all the way;)

• Like 3

@DartmoorTrails,

Thanks for the comparison buddy, this is what I'm after really, real life comparisons. (hence spending most of the morning [much to her indoors' disapproval] watching trx4's tyre comparison vids 😁)

But I'm coming to the same conclusion that the hyrax's might be the ones as they seem to be a pretty good all-rounder too.

Thanks again for the knowledge man, really appreciate it 👍

• Like 1

Some more advice needed please guys.. (I know it's getting ominous now..)

So what are peoples thoughts on running droop vs. Sprung setups on the standard shocks?

I'm kind of leaning towards a comp/droop setup atm but don't want to lose too much ground clearance, however I know with droop GC does drop. Which isn't too much of a worry as it's still lowering the CoG even if only slightly. 

Any links you guys could share with me would be HUGELY appreciated  and well studied.. 👍

20200701_200734.jpg.ce8587a56d54bb887850e12619a9e5d0.jpg

I put pen springs in my Capra to reduce the ride height by about 30%, works well for that rig as it's quite tall for all out crawling.

Very simple 'mod' to do, you just need 4 equal pen springs and put them inside the shock bodies so you've got them pushing in the opposite direction to the normal springs. like this:

384255d1570630251-img_6271.jpg

• Like 2

I have seen a vid on the pen spring mod, really cool idea IMO.

I'll have a go at it I think,  for the cost of four pens it can't be a bad shout. How do you find the recoil rate after doing the mod any better? I saw a mod with the relocating of the back shocks too, that has them leaning forwards on a 45'ish° angle.. doesnt do much for the recoil but adds what looks like alot of droop to the rear axle might be a good shout with the pen mod aswell? I'll have to give it a go.

Thanks for the advice 👍 

Wasnt sold much on the capra's at first, however after seeing them crawl... what beasts! Tbh it's looks are really growing on me too!

I never tried the pen spring mod personally as never quite thought it would help as much as just limiting travel and shorter springs. I can see that it should help a rear wheel to pop up over a ledge if it has got stuck under, beyond that it will just work against your compression... That said, plenty of folk like it and use it and it would give similar results to limiting and softer springs.......

Oh, and I guess its an awful lot cheaper than new shorter coil springs!!

Edited by stimpy

On 02/07/2020 at 22:21, WreckitRhodey said:

I have seen a vid on the pen spring mod, really cool idea IMO.

I'll have a go at it I think,  for the cost of four pens it can't be a bad shout. How do you find the recoil rate after doing the mod any better? I saw a mod with the relocating of the back shocks too, that has them leaning forwards on a 45'ish° angle.. doesnt do much for the recoil but adds what looks like alot of droop to the rear axle might be a good shout with the pen mod aswell? I'll have to give it a go.

Thanks for the advice 👍 

Wasnt sold much on the capra's at first, however after seeing them crawl... what beasts! Tbh it's looks are really growing on me too!

I'd give one modification a go at a time, that way you'll find out what works!

It helps with gettig the rig to sit lower for me, not sure about the phsics of it all sorry but I had no detrimental side effects after going that route.

• 6 months later...

New steel and brass axle housings turned up today 😎 more weight in the right place.. C hubs and portal housing's next.. 

On another note the scale hub covers for the Marlin and my new roller turned up today! 😁