• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stimpys Capra - A Wild Goat??

stimpy

2 hours ago, stimpy said:

Yes, Ci foams. So much better than any thing else due to their compounds. Stick with Double Deuces for more crawl, and the Deuces/ single stage for quicker trail work. 

What sort of usage do you plan?

NB: If you are just trailing  don’t think you must get posh foams! It’s only really when you start crawling that foams and softer tyres come into play. That said, the right combo will always make better traction in most situations... 

More crawl than trail, well at this point anyway, maybe a trail rig at a later date (really like the TRX4 Defender), but for the 10.2 I’m leaning more toward performance - I find it  fascinating watching the tyres and suspension compressing, looking for grip, and the slow speed really lets you study what’s actually happening. Omg - I’ve turned from a basher into a crawl voyeur 😂

Edited by Andy-Roo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Stimpy great build, lovely rig (no i dont want one though😃) , where i live there are plenty of old Quarries so have  a lot of choice for crawling

Where abouts are you based Jack? 

• Like 1

Andy - Roo - Hahahahaaaa... I love it too! 

But with all seriousness that scx platform is a great place to start.

We have one for my boy and it continually surprises me.. We just did some weighting on it a couple weeks ago and it beat my capra on the ramp! Made just under 63 degrees! Granted it’s no good sidesloping yet but has so much potential 👍

26 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Andy - Roo - Hahahahaaaa... I love it too! 

But with all seriousness that scx platform is a great place to start.

We have one for my boy and it continually surprises me.. We just did some weighting on it a couple weeks ago and it beat my capra on the ramp! Made just under 63 degrees! Granted it’s no good sidesloping yet but has so much potential 👍

I agree, so much potential in the 10.2.  I’ve got big plans for it and once I have finished there won’t be much, if any, of the original rig left.  In hind sight, I could have just bought parts and built from the ground up, but it’s all part of the fun - one thing often leads to another....an empty wallet usually! 

• Haha 1

Andy - Be interested in seeing what your plans are. 

There’s so much I could do to the boys but a bit busy on others! Hehe... But will get to it some time... tbh what he really needs is some decent tyres at the mo, he likes the originals ( and has done some trimming to them 😂) but they still struggle for crawl really. I’ve also laid the rear shocks down some but now I need to fit some heftier springs to regain side hill a little more... 

I was planning on starting a (re)build thread once I had enough parts, but with everything taking much longer than normal to arrive, I may end up starting that thread sooner rather than later.  
I have my shocks laid over too - got the shock towers in the middle position right now -  any further and the shocks bind on the towers, without longer standoffs fitted. 

What weight shock oil are you using in the Capra?  

Cool man. Capra has the standard build 35wt in currently... Unless I can sort something with links I will probably up the rear weight to 40/45. 

Just got my other springs today so will get on that over the weekend... 

And yeah, get the build up man!! 

( May put some of my other builds up if I can make time... Dont wanna bore folk mind! ) 

Edited by stimpy

Will do - probably over the weekend at some point. 

You don’t wanna bore us with other builds? You have a captive audience (literally, for most people), so please feel free to bore us 👍 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

Will do - probably over the weekend at some point. 

You don’t wanna bore us with other builds? You have a captive audience (literally, for most people), so please feel free to bore us 👍 

Muhuhahaha!!!! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2020 at 03:58, stimpy said:

When these bits arrive I will be dropping the body off the chassis/ skid and making a load of adjustments!.. I also have a flat skid coming from Shapeways at some point which will see me be able to drop the whole body around 6/8mm further... This will take some more link playing mind!.. 

I'm finishing up my first 10th scale crawler build (Capra) and I am loving it. I've crawled a Losi Mini and my 1:1 2006 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (see my profile pic). Any updates on the flat skid? I am in the camp that says getting a flat skid lowers the cage and doesn't raise the skid. What is your plan with shocks? From what I've read, 90mm shocks seem to be a good length, but lowering the cage and shock mounts means even shorter shocks? I can't wait to get it on the rocks and starting mods.

Edited by Rick Brower
  • Like 1

Morning Rick! 

And congrats on building the Capra! Get some pics up man! 

Nice 1:1, I’m a Zook man myself - currently got a wee Jimny on 33s and a long term LWB SJ project tucked away..... 

I have a flat skid now and rear link riser kit in stock to go on ( though I don’t think that will do much tbh as not much separation of links). 

The flat skid , whilst it could raise the transmission a wee bit in basic form will allow the whole cage to be lowered as you thought, around 6/8mm I’m thinking. And if you’ve read my build you’ll note I’ve already managed to lower the tranny some so I will definitely be seeing a lower COG.

Shock wise I will be limiting the standard ones and have some element enduro springs ( shorter) to play with. Have them on currently but sloppy till I limit the shocks...

Also have some weighting and OD gears in stock and some others coming through at some point... 

Hoping to get the Capra on the bench this weekend and will update 👍

We don't see many LWB Suzukis in the US, but I did have a friend find and buy one. Unfortunately I don't know what ever happened to it. I've always thought they'd be a lot of fun. I'm afraid I am  more interested in projects than driving them because I would get one and drop in a diesel or convert to electric.  I would love to see the new Jimny here. Are they available in the UK?

I did see your tranny drop and loved the idea. Did that cause any other issues or was it pretty straight-forward? I saw a thread on rccrawler with a custom skid that even rotated the tranny so the posts were cut at an angle and the skid plate was drilled and countersunk on an angle. I'd love to have the skill and equipment to do that. How'd you cut and trim yours?

Mine is built but I am way behind on painting the panels and haven't taken it out to the rocks yet. Shops have been closed and shipping is a mess due to stay-at-home orders in California. I am happy with how this turned out, though:

5q6tj0I.jpg

• Like 1

Ah! Now it’s all falling into place! Assume you followed my link from RCCrawler...

Good looking Capra :-). Have you worked out the paint yet? Mine was a complete accident but it’s grown on me!!

Yes not many LWB here left either! A mate had 2, this ones been in a field / dump for years so needs lots of welding!... Funnily enough, I am considering an electric conversion on this long term too, but we’ll see. This was gonna run on 35s  ( small for America! But big enough here!) and trick transmission etc but time is not on my side with too many projects... 

As for the Capra tranny, yes I cut the raised tabs and locators at an angle so the motor - the heaviest part - dropped significantly... I took a metal rule and placed it along the existing tabs slanting in towards the motor end, marked it , then cut. Then you just file out a wee bit to clear  some of the raised sections on the original skid . Then measure safe depth for screws back into tranny - shorter now. Then screw it back in!..

The only thing that may happen is you cut a bit much is the motor will touch where that seam is between skid and cage but that can be filed down... 

Only real downside is the tranny does now not locate in those holes in the skid as neat so I filled them with the bits I’d cut off... 

Other than that no issues 👍

Here's the concept. I am afraid it won't mask this nicely, but I'll give it a try. Roof and hood will be more simple.

76HNWFh.png

My LJ is on 35s and I think it looks just right with the lwb. I got into crawling in the 90s when 31s and 33s were a good size (had both on my YJ) and 35+ was getting big. Now it seems like 35-38 is normal here. 33s and 35s are tough to fit on a Sami. I live in an area with a bunch of golf carts on the road and I would consider an electric Samurai in the same category 🤣. Fun to zip around in town, then tow it to Moab and go crazy on the slickrock!

Edited by rbronco21
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, rbronco21 said:

Actually, here's the latest.

RuRM5gc.png

Yeah that’ll be hard to mask, especially as the panels have forms on them. It would certainly be easier if you followed some of the forms?... 

LJ?? Now you’re talking! Best post a pic!!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Following on from some queries on my Toyzuki thread:

On 02/06/2020 at 11:58,  stimpy said: 

Hello mate....

So the Holmes ESC have had the ‘Holmes hold’ on for some time but I have never actually tried one to comment - though the yanks reckon it works 👍.

The MM by all accounts is completely reliable ( with the right pinion) for up to 2200kv. I have heard of folks running a 2700kv but it is not generally recommended....  And yes, the Aux is what most folk like else you could run a sidewinder - but for similar money and similar weight most folk will pick the micro X. 

By all means have a look at the Capra thread - the poor thing has been on the bench now for 3 weeks with some upgrades due.... Should have some other bits fly in this week hopefully so may get on it next week!.... 

(Oh, and if you are looking for OD gears for the Capra let me know)

Any questions just let me know 👍

In this vid JRH mentions he's working on new active drag for the BRXL: ('bout 4 minutes in). That was October 2019 though so may have shipped but it's not mentioned on his site right now so a bit unclear!

What OD gears you got - portal end or diff? I was looking at the TGH Mild OD gear set (24% OD) from supershafty but am going to test the rig first off to see if I really need/want it.

Thanks for the vid man, think I watched that one but must have skimmed it!! Sounds interesting but yeah can't see any other info on it anywhere.....

With regards OD, I currently have none in the truck. But I have a HR set sat here and then the TGH Mild and the Wild arriving imminently!.. The HR are 12/14% iirc, the mild 24% and the wild 36%.

I will not be fitting the HR set so they will be for sale and would make a great OD set for trail / light crawl or add a gear set and they are crawl/little bit of trail. I suspect as all my rigs end up as crawl I will use the 36% then also sell the 24%. However, if the 36 drags the arris too much then I'll go back to the 24!!... Looking at the topography you have , you will benefit from OD, how much will depend upon what you actually do with the truck...

3 hours ago, stimpy said:

With regards OD, I currently have none in the truck. But I have a HR set sat here and then the TGH Mild and the Wild arriving imminently!.. The HR are 12/14% iirc, the mild 24% and the wild 36%.

I will not be fitting the HR set so they will be for sale and would make a great OD set for trail / light crawl or add a gear set and they are crawl/little bit of trail. I suspect as all my rigs end up as crawl I will use the 36% then also sell the 24%. However, if the 36 drags the arris too much then I'll go back to the 24!!... Looking at the topography you have , you will benefit from OD, how much will depend upon what you actually do with the truck...

Keen to see what you think of the TGH when you run it.

I'm leaning towardsthe mild 24% given how high geared the goat is already! Might make sense for me to look at the Vitavon(?) replacement transmission but i'll certainy not be doing anything like that till i've had a real good play!

The gearing of the GOAT is not great sadly. The vitavon tranny offers nothing bar the ability to put a regular motor with  2 hole mounts only in with a 9T pinion. If you have a 4 mounting hole motor you can do this with the kit tranny which is also lighter... Any HH certainly are 4 holed and many of the usual motors we use are also so no problem...

As to OD, I was sure I would settle on the 24% but having driven my Toyzuki now with 30% and feeling that it could use more I'm now fairly certain I'll run the 36. If this was anything but Crawl I would not consider it - we do still drive between sections with the boy and I pretend to play for him but it's always crawl I enjoy!

Back to the gearing, iirc I have a 12 or 13t pinion in at the mo as thats all I had and with a 16t 5 slot Crawlmaster Pro I'm finding it OK - a LOT better than I expected but probably due to the 5 slot. I have a 9T sat waiting for it so I reckon with the OD that will be just fine. 

I had originally expected that I would change out the tranny to a much lighter variant, but now I'm finding the dig useful I probably won't, added to which one is never gonna get the GOAT Uber light with that cage but it does look awesome!. The only other thing I considered and ever so nearly pulled the trigger on was getting another Axial 3 speed tranny then putting the Vanquish Dig on the back, that would then be lighter, lower,  more reliable and easier to set up.. If I end up keeping the Capra longer term I may consider it though I suspect if I did get hold of that tranny and dig I may just put it in another Toyzuki type chassis - Gspeed or GC4.2 would probably be the direction🥰..

Thanks for the update mate.

So you changed out the motor bolts only to get nearer then; i'll have a play about with it  when my order gets here!!!!

That HR brass though. Where's my shades!?!?!?

I've been toying with finding a small box for my BEC to mount it in the rear but see you've managed tog et your up front. Did you put the RX in the rear fuel cell?