• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stimpys Capra - A Wild Goat??

stimpy

Next it was Electric’s.... I’d looked at a few options and settled with an old Tekno FXR I had new in package and a Holmes Hobbies 16t Crawlmaster Pro. I absolutely love these motors, the low down control and resolution is awesome👍.

As I was going to be running it on 3S and had a 6v Savox servo sat about I put a BEC in... There was also the DIG servo consideration which I fed via the BEC also, RX was fed from ESC. 

As my considerations were towards ultimate COG I didn’t want to put them in the allocated locations....  I figured I could get them on the skid somehow... Especially as I had an FXR which are tiny... 

Lorra Wires!

6D5E44DC-76F8-4B5D-96AB-AC6028CC5549.thumb.jpeg.7877e71fd2bfaf6a2679b1f8082d1fae.jpeg

And where to put it all...

4C2D67D8-E660-4737-A8C5-6329F75DD037.thumb.jpeg.1ad0562f01b01a47a4414a499ba32e27.jpeg

Ooh... Perhaps I could hide it all!!

4E2F48B5-8FAC-430D-9592-F72F9875B3E2.thumb.jpeg.459a4c73bd99503e43b047188f825468.jpeg

This could work!!!

FC4F5F83-D1DC-41B3-9992-981B46B2E71B.thumb.jpeg.09f46cd0c11327eb87737f97256973b3.jpeg

Rough positions for now...

2EC87F7F-BA4D-4179-9524-4F028F8240C1.thumb.jpeg.4a92cd76711ddbad3b2044a32c2034be.jpeg

So, some of you may have noticed that battery in an odd place.... Well, I wasn’t happy with how high the battery was placed in the model and as I’d be running small batts only I could see a much lower solution ( which granted I may have noticed an issue with later on!!! )... 

Cutring... 

A9252A99-0FD3-4557-B2CB-621287781658.thumb.jpeg.74df88f7b1519882f55bd1e840035647.jpeg

Gluing

15FE04B0-BB9B-4D75-9FB0-C6F10C27CC06.thumb.jpeg.3390ee5c96ab1533dd2d1e781040bfa3.jpeg

Voila!! 

0546C70E-4EA6-4E6C-BB22-72E4E11452D3.thumb.jpeg.f0f319217394d3a445dafd86c19d5fa7.jpeg

Edited by stimpy

3 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

Very nice!  The Capra was on my ‘short’ list when I was looking for a project.  How well did those axles go together - did they need much shimming? 
What electrics are you gonna run?  

All was easy man. Don’t know what all the fuss was about... The only point of note was you have to read the manual! Oh, and one instruction said 18mm screws when you only had 16mm left or something like that... 

Just done electrics.... Will continue putting the build down after feeding  and amusing the pupil... Currently homeschooling! 🙈

Whilst messing around with the links a bit I found  some bent Ti units on the uppers of my Yeti project that were a good size. These are ever so slightly longer than standard , something I’m  cool with as the front links will be slightly shorter when tuned for caster... 

Ooh, fancy rear clearance ... Them wheels look funny mind!! 1.9 vs 2.2

FC8F0618-9C25-4701-B6A4-34D7F6AA5936.thumb.jpeg.936ca2c9f16929fa560752012aae2043.jpeg

Next was the body... I wasn’t sure if I’d run all the panels due to weight considerations but figured I’d start at the beginning.... 

I really wanted to go lairy with the paint for some reason - as I normally play safe - and was considering all sorts of colour combos! For some reason I was getting drawn to Berry Purple and Taxi Yellow! 🤢 

Soooo many choices...

1E3F4859-28F4-480A-8EB3-E37150932D41.thumb.jpeg.b77824b463adc6c970992fc7f787d9c3.jpeg

But in the end my safe side got the better of me and I decided with a pearl white and Matt black mix with some highlights....

Then my pearl reacted with something on the lexan... I probably didn’t let the solvent cleaner dry enough... Dunno...

1A9E54C7-6956-4881-AED1-6D4BCB9B6358.thumb.jpeg.5cba9c40429ff8cf2266b1631c7a942c.jpeg

After having a quick go at wiping it off I just couldn’t be bothered and though sod it!! So I backed the funky Pearl with some Berry purple... But it didn’t show... So I put more on... then a bit more.... hmpf... Not showing much... Then I backed it with white..... And watched the whole thing intensify as it was drying!! 

Wowzas!!!?? Where’d that pink come from!?!

DAA76439-5574-48ED-B08A-2A5204F7B272.thumb.jpeg.757b9af2939444fb95b85dc51c6a52f6.jpeg

Crazy Bonnet tie dye effect!..

33E711C2-AB6C-44E3-8699-7522D30BD918.thumb.jpeg.d1c6b91587af9ea2ce2a934db6f23a8b.jpeg

The pink was growing on me!.. But it still lacked something.... 

Some stickers helped

BA00A19E-E3BB-4C26-865F-35825FA2EC7D.thumb.jpeg.bda0e4000f80f1284ee54d42846ab259.jpeg

Then started having a play with the geo and links... Built a quick ramp to monitor progress... ( Bare in mind ascending is not the only forte needed but fun to see)

On 2.2s So actually a higher COG than it would normally run  ( Edit - just remembered I had zipped down the front suspension to try mimic future stance / weighting effect - should still get better than this mind)
1A86FEEB-85D2-4B8F-9245-EB4294F9A3D3.thumb.jpeg.8a1e9af3d851f4d39b9dfeb6550733b6.jpeg

That saw 60 degrees, which to be honest with no weighting at all yet or proper tuning is pretty respectable ..

D18544AA-B26A-43D0-BC21-AE2B2490C9D7.thumb.jpeg.841ba695196832e60a9d724edf8b102b.jpeg

Edited by stimpy
Return of memory!
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

That's a nice neat elecs install :D 

Took a while to figure out!! 

I could actually get the BEC now at the back of the skid behind the receiver but as I’m considering a 12v servo I’ve not bothered.... 

• Like 1

This is pretty much where I am currently... At that stage I had missed some stock bits in the UK and made an RCMart order which if you’ve been reading the other thread.... Has still not reached me... 

When these bits arrive I will be dropping the body off the chassis/ skid and making a load of adjustments!.. I also have a flat skid coming from Shapeways at some point which will see me be able to drop the whole body around 6/8mm further... This will take some more link playing mind!.. 

I have also found my battery mount to be a bit of a faff! It’s ok as I’m not running the interior but with it in I’d be upsetting folk around me with rage!!. So I am going to redesign this so the battery sits between the bulkhead side plates nice and low. It will sit there battery in a better position for COG as well as aid my mental health 🤪🤓

This design is only functional with small batteries. And as my interest lies in Crawling performance only it fits the bill perfectly. Currently I run 850mah packs but will test some slightly larger ones at some point 👍

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

Just use a 3rd party host like Imgur.

Much easier than uploading direct to the forum, unlimited space for free.

This is where I have never managed to succeed!.. 

The fact you didn’t need a host on this site is why I’ve got this far!... 

Is the limit per thread or total per forum?. 

2 minutes ago, stimpy said:

This is where I have never managed to succeed!.. 

The fact you didn’t need a host on this site is why I’ve got this far!... 

Is the limit per thread or total per forum?. 

You have a total capacity you can upload.

Imgur is easy, Google it, open the site, drag and drop your images, wait for them to upload, then click in the top right of each image, click 'get share links' then copy the one for forums, paste here... Repeat until done, easy peasy once you've done it a few times and much better than uploading directly to the forum.

• Like 1

Hmmm.. Just googled... Will take a look.. I’m scared of tech so might have a cocoa first 👍🤪

Right.. comes up with Imgur - Gif and Meme maker !?? What the hell is this? Is this what I want?? 

Edited by stimpy

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Hmmm.. Just googled... Will take a look.. I’m scared of tech so might have a cocoa first 👍🤪

Right.. comes up with Imgur - Gif and Meme maker !?? What the hell is this? Is this what I want?? 

I’ve just done the same thing, but with the iso app 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Thing is I don’t know if I can trust Gifs and Memes??  Took me a long time to trust Skype!!! What a name... I was sure it was a skin disease 🤮

I was previously a member of this forum up until around 7yrs ago, when I left the hobby (I’ve forgotten the login of my old profile; ‘DirtyHabitz’) 
Back then I used Photobucket to host my pics, so maybe that’s an option - in fact, my old account may still be active..I’ll have to check.  But Imgur seems okay from what I’ve seen so far, although it only has a 3 star rating on the App Store. 

Righto... sold my soul to imgur.. Had to agree to follow all sorts of nonsense I am principally against.. 🤬

Heres a few pics from out at the quarry a while back.. On smallish 1.9s no real tuning... Hard foams bleuch!!

Looks like nothing in the pics but this is a good test climb. Bumps in all the wrong places!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was with Ottsix KLR blues on with hard foams . These tyres were just breaking in but wrong compound and foams completely, struggled with traction.. Made it maybe 2/10 goes...

Have since modded these tyres and put fancy foams in but now on another project... And on rims that sadly won’t fit over the portals else I know they’d be good now 👍

The Capra is now on new 1.9 Pit Bull Rock Beasts with modified standard foams. I also fitted some softer shorter springs. Managed a trip out with It on the weekend but forgot to get pics! Again, these tyres were breaking in - definitely better than last time but still traction through compound needing more work and foams not right made it tough out there! I’m gonna give the standard foams one more tweak and if that don’t work then I’ll go fancy on them at some point...

The other issue was the rear end was too soft / didn’t offer enough support on the side hills so I’ll need to look into that...  

Still had lots of fun trying silly lines mind!! And to be honest, considering it has little tuning , no weighting and no overdrive it’s still feeling quite planted...  ( For a scale - ish rig that is!). 

On another note; I had Actually originally planned to run some KLR X4 on this but these are still in the post!! These will need some tweaking also to get right.. But look like they’ll be good performers when sorted to me 👍🙈

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 3

That’s a cool looking spot for a cool looking rig, and even the pink is starting to grow on me...reminds me of strawberry Fruitella! Remember those? 
What fancy foams are you thinking - Crawler Innovations?  
I’m gathering parts for my rebuild and Pitbull Growler, or possibly the Berserker, along with CI foams are top of my list for tyre choice. 

8 hours ago, Andy-Roo said:

That’s a cool looking spot for a cool looking rig, and even the pink is starting to grow on me...reminds me of strawberry Fruitella! Remember those? 
What fancy foams are you thinking - Crawler Innovations?  
I’m gathering parts for my rebuild and Pitbull Growler, or possibly the Berserker, along with CI foams are top of my list for tyre choice. 

Haha... Strawberry Fruitella!! 

Thanks man. The paint looks even better close up as I started with a Pearl , and also put a wee bit of random fine metallic randomly through.. The black sections I matted from the outside... I plan on spraying up a set of wheels too and going full commitment!! Haha..

Yes, Ci foams. So much better than any thing else due to their compounds. Stick with Double Deuces for more crawl, and the Deuces/ single stage for quicker trail work. 

What sort of usage do you plan?

NB: If you are just trailing  don’t think you must get posh foams! It’s only really when you start crawling that foams and softer tyres come into play. That said, the right combo will always make better traction in most situations... 

Edited by stimpy

11 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

Those inclines! emoji44.png

Makes me really want one emoji16.png

You’ll certainly have some rock up your way mate👍

There’s even steeper bits to the left of that pic! I use my front leading tyre to literally just hang/ grapple my way across on a ridge - soo much fun! Hehe.. 

• Like 1

You’ll certainly have some rock up your way mate[emoji106]

There’s even steeper bits to the left of that pic! I use my front leading tyre to literally just hang/ grapple my way across on a ridge - soo much fun! Hehe.. 
Oh yeah I have the Dales one way and the Moors the other way.... Part of the reason I live here still [emoji16]

There is a couple of clubs and tracks specifically for crawlers... I just have so many projects going on as it is.

1 hour ago, Paul Busby said:

Oh yeah I have the Dales one way and the Moors the other way.... Part of the reason I live here still emoji16.png

There is a couple of clubs and tracks specifically for crawlers... I just have so many projects going on as it is.

You lucky bugger!!

My in-laws live in Littleborough - half way between Manchester and Leeds, some good rock round there too ... Did consider a move up there once.... 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stimpy said:

You lucky bugger!!

My in-laws live in Littleborough - half way between Manchester and Leeds, some good rock round there too ... Did consider a move up there once.... 

Stimpy great build, lovely rig (no i dont want one though😃) , where i live there are plenty of old Quarries so have  a lot of choice for crawling