• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Team Associated RIVAL MT10 Monster Truck

Kukynas

Just now, Paul Busby said:

The battery is 30c capable, but it doesn't charge them at 30c... as that would be 14.8V X (5a X 30c) = 2220W

Im joking bro 😉

Why would I have a 13w charger 😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, babylon said:

I charge my 4s 5000 packs with a 50w charger, And I think it's absolute nonsense to say it's absolutely nonsense to suggest getting a 50w charger with a 6s Kraton when the B6 has been recommended  around here for as long as I have been around here.

It absolutely is nonsense lol, if you have to buy everything new it's absolutely nonsense to suggest getting something that isn't up to the job entirely, especially if there's not much (if any!) difference in price. The B6 in that regard isn't even a bad option, depending on which one you take. I've recently learned that there's a lot of 80W b6s (i think fnknan pointed that out to me) around, and yeah, they're of course able to charge perfectly.

If you're okay with sitting 2.5 hours next to the packs that you can only charge at what, 0.6c ish? That's okay. That's not what i'd suggest to someone who has to buy a new charger anyway. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, babylon said:

I charge my 4s 5000 packs with a 50w charger, And I think it's absolute nonsense to say it's absolutely nonsense to suggest getting a 50w charger with a 6s Kraton when the B6 has been recommended  around here for as long as I have been around here.

As someone just coming into it I would say a b6 isn't the best choice. I have one that I use to charge my airsoft batteries but it can only charge the 5000mah lipos at 0.5c as setting it any higher it just shuts off.

It takes about an hour and half per battery so for the 4 I have to charge that is 6 hours. Something like the Turnigy dual charger I have bought is far more of a sensible option and doesn't break the bank at £50

Edited by Craig76

4 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

It absolutely is nonsense lol, if you have to buy everything new it's absolutely nonsense to suggest getting something that isn't up to the job entirely, especially if there's not much (if any!) difference in price. The B6 in that regard isn't even a bad option, depending on which one you take. I've recently learned that there's a lot of 80W b6s around, and yeah, they're of course able to charge perfectly.

If you're okay with sitting 2.5 hours next to the packs that you can only charge at what, 0.6c ish? That's okay. That's not what i'd suggest to someone who has to buy a new charger anyway. 

Am I being a bit dim, What's this perfectly you keep talking about, You said originally that you can't charge 3s packs with a 50w charger, You can, And I'm not sure were you have got that 0.6 ish charge rate from, That's like the same charge rate as an old bike dynamo,.

No one said it would be fast, If you only have one battery and your gonna sit there and watch it charge like watching a kettle boil, Then get a faster charger,  But waiting an hour and half or so as opposed to an hour or so doesn't mean one charges perfectly, And one doesn't.  

Edited by babylon

5 hours ago, babylon said:

Am I being a bit dim, What's this perfectly you keep talking about, You said originally that you can't charge 3s packs with a 50w charger, You can, And I'm not sure were you have got that 0.6 ish charge rate from, That's like the same charge rate as an old bike dynamo,.

Yeah, sure, as i said, you can charge it with a 5w solar charger. I didn't bring up "perfectly" btw, that was someone else. But of course, charging "perfectly" is charging a battery at 1c. And that 0.6ish charge rate is the maximum your 50W charger manages with a 4s 5000mah battery. A 4s 5000mah pulls, at 1c charging, 84W. Meaning 42W is 0.5c, making 50W slightly more than 0.5c. In reality it's probably even less considering you're supposed to take 20% loss into account. 

4 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

That's no bad thing if people are stating things that just aren't true.

Sure, I should've worded it differently. I should've said it's nonsense to buy an underpowered charger if you have to get a new (first) one anyway. It's still wrong to suggest an underpowered charger "charges perfectly", it charges slower than a charger that has the proper wattage, making it by the very definition not perfect. 

That's me done on this topic though. 

26 minutes ago, Jumper said:

That's quite surprising. They seem to have done a proper $ to £ conversion (unlike pretty much every other RC manufacturer who just changes the $ sign to a £ sign?). That would take the "big kit" to £299, truck/charger/battery. If the truck is as good as i think it might be (i don't know the Helion that it's apparently based on either, so i gotta wait for reviews/videos etc), this might actually be the best value entry level basher vehicle on the market currently. 

Edited by m4inbrain

now look at the cost of spare parts 😂 , set of driveshafts for less than 10£ ? Traxxas would charge you for pair nearly 25£, arrma nearly 20£, entire diff with metal gears for 16£ ? arrma/traxxas slipper clutch cost 42£ 😂... if TA keeps the same prices than you have a winner in terms of value for money...

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/s/?q=helion+avenge

I acknowledged that i should've worded it differently, and made clear that i'm not gonna further argue on that topic. I don't know why OHO feels the need to instantly bring it up again.

5 minutes ago, Kukynas said:

now look at the cost of spare parts 😂 , set of driveshafts for less than 10£ ? Traxxas would charge you for pair nearly 25£, arrma nearly 20£, entire diff with metal gears for 16£ ? arrma/traxxas slipper clutch cost 42£ 😂... if TA keeps the same prices than you have a winner in terms of value for money...

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/s/?q=helion+avenge

To be fair, this is somewhat weird though.

I don't think the initial price stays the way it is. If you look here:

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/cars_and_trucks/RIVAL_MT10/RTR/

They're currently(?) reduced. The original MSRP for the non-package version is $440 (reduced to $299). Not sure if that goes up in price after the initial batch? 

edit

Advertising video, but it does look good. And so far, i've always been happy with my TA purchases, so i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here, i think this is a great little piece of kit.

Edited by m4inbrain

Found in a different news article: it's a 1/10, but the SCT kind of 1/10, not the usual 1/10. 

Scale: 1:10
Power: Electric
Length: 507mm (20.0”)
Width: 325mm (12.8”)
Weight: 2.80kg (6.1 lb)
Wheelbase: 225mm (8.86”)
Transmission Ratio: 2.85.1

It's 51cm long, making it a direct competitor to the Traxxas Maxx.

You can get two of these for one Maxx, ffs. 

10 minutes ago, babylon said:

Whats happened with the Thunder Tiger collaboration.

Doesn't Thunder Tiger own Team Associated, or at least part of it?

edit: yeah, they do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Electrics

Edited by m4inbrain

26 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

To be fair, this is somewhat weird though.

I don't think the initial price stays the way it is. If you look here:

I think initial price of Helion in US was 359$ than reduced to 299$ (or even less) so most probably TA realized 440$ is too much to stay competitive but who knows if it stays as is...

here UK prices https://www.activescalemodels.co.uk/helion-avenge-10mt-xlr-4wd-brushless-uk-hlns1501uk but not sure what was initial price

20 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Found in a different news article: it's a 1/10, but the SCT kind of 1/10, not the usual 1/10. 

Scale: 1:10
Power: Electric
Length: 507mm (20.0”)
Width: 325mm (12.8”)
Weight: 2.80kg (6.1 lb)
Wheelbase: 225mm (8.86”)
Transmission Ratio: 2.85.1

It's 51cm long, making it a direct competitor to the Traxxas Maxx.

You can get two of these for one Maxx, ffs. 

yes, the same as Helion (except they have wrong wheelbase), here full specs http://helion-rc.com/avenge10MT_XLR/features.asp

3 minutes ago, Kukynas said:

I think initial price of Helion in US was 359$ than reduced to 299$ (or even less) so most probably TA realized 440$ is too much to stay competitive but who knows if it stays as is...

here UK prices https://www.activescalemodels.co.uk/helion-avenge-10mt-xlr-4wd-brushless-uk-hlns1501uk but not sure what was initial price

yes, the same as Helion (except they have wrong wheelbase), here full specs http://helion-rc.com/avenge10MT_XLR/features.asp

Yeah there's a few small differences between the Helion and the MT10, but they indeed look very similar. 

Here's a top view of both. 

Rival_MT10_3Q_NoBody_gallery_lg.jpg

gallery18.jpg

A few parts are different, but this is unmistakably the same RC, slightly modified (top one is the Rival MT10).