• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New ARRMA Teaser....

Fly In My Soup

I'm not saying that it couldn't be a Granite XL, but these don't seem like official pictures. I would think that people would be able to not have cat hairs on their lens before taking a picture. Also, to me personally, wouldn't make much sense to take their smaller MT and make a bigger version of it when they have the already bigger Nero. 

Not to mention, would be a weird teaser if they just flatout put half the name of the truck in the picture. 

If it's a granite, i'll be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

I'm not saying that it couldn't be a Granite XL, but these don't seem like official pictures. I would think that people would be able to not have cat hairs on their lens before taking a picture. Also, to me personally, wouldn't make much sense to take their smaller MT and make a bigger version of it when they have the already bigger Nero. 

Not to mention, would be a weird teaser if they just flatout put half the name of the truck in the picture. 

If it's a granite, i'll be disappointed. 

The Nero line is long gone, thanks to Traxxas and the American legal system. 

12 hours ago, stonedef said:

A 6s Granite?? If this pic is to be believed

73077492_10214616920477183_7745737097566224384_n.jpg

The pics not anything to with Arrma it was just a guy on face book it’s the Arrma countdown clock with his own granite showing the paint scheme was the same

Cubby over at big squid has mentioned that he had heard it would be one thing initially but that has been delayed... https://www.bigsquidrc.com/ask-cubby-more-astute-questions-really-terrible-answers/   personally I'm hoping it's going to be a big mt style basher... obviously the nero won't be back due to suspensiongate  but they are definitely lacking a larger scale mt in the lineup and I think a more reasonably priced yet sufficiently sturdy rtr mt is definitely a hole in the market that needs to be plugged

That answer sounds like something expensive is in the making, that's at what i gather from "pretty chancy in this environment". A rock crawler wouldn't be chancy considering it got a big upswing with "casuals" buying loads of TRXs. Also the fact that he put "big" in quotations might point in that direction. 

Here's the "scary" part. Not many people bought the X-Maxx (compared to other Traxxas releases/Kratons etc). Not because it's big, not because it caught fire in the beginning - it's because it's prohibitively expensive. 

If they release a, lets say, £750 - £800 "Arrma-Maxx", that'd be somewhat interesting. If they go all out and slap the X-Maxx price on it, i'm not sure if that sells. I'm not sure that Arrma fanboys are as willing to throw £1000 at them as Traxxas fanboys are. 

I certainly wouldn't. I'm pretty convinced that it'd be a commercial flop if that were to happen.

Best case for me personally? A "legal" successor to the Nero. A nice MT, 1/8th scale. Tough, 6s, no diff brain, high CoG with humongous (upright) shocks. Like a proper monster truck should be (yeah yeah solid axle, don't care), i don't understand the obsession of making them lower and lower, the majority of monster trucks are just "monsterfied truggies" nowadays. 

Edited by m4inbrain

Arrma don't do slow machines, so I can't see them bothering with a crawler/scaler. 

Is it a true X-Maxx competitor? I truly hope so, but not with a flat ally chassis, that'd be awful. 

Count down is too long, should've been a week at most. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

That answer sounds like something expensive is in the making, that's at what i gather from "pretty chancy in this environment". A rock crawler wouldn't be chancy considering it got a big upswing with "casuals" buying loads of TRXs. Also the fact that he put "big" in quotations might point in that direction. 

Here's the "scary" part. Not many people bought the X-Maxx (compared to other Traxxas releases/Kratons etc). Not because it's big, not because it caught fire in the beginning - it's because it's prohibitively expensive. 

If they release a, lets say, £750 - £800 "Arrma-Maxx", that'd be somewhat interesting. If they go all out and slap the X-Maxx price on it, i'm not sure if that sells. I'm not sure that Arrma fanboys are as willing to throw £1000 at them as Traxxas fanboys are. 

I certainly wouldn't. I'm pretty convinced that it'd be a commercial flop if that were to happen.

Best case for me personally? A "legal" successor to the Nero. A nice MT, 1/8th scale. Tough, 6s, no diff brain, high CoG with humongous (upright) shocks. Like a proper monster truck should be (yeah yeah solid axle, don't care), i don't understand the obsession of making them lower and lower, the majority of monster trucks are just "monsterfied truggies" nowadays. 

I think they make these monster truggy esque trucks and not full on monster trucks because they tend to drive better with a low CoG. 

Personally I don't really see the point in a high CoG design. They just handle a lot worse and won't really do any better over rough terrain because the diff cases are still the same height. This means that 'step' down to the diffs will kinda catch over the rough stuff whereas a flat chassis will glide over the terrain.

Although I get where the appeal of having a high riding monster that rolls and flips all over the place comes from. It's just not my cup of tea 😌

• Like 1

I'm not sure if i get that correctly, what do you mean by "step" down to the diffs? It's pretty simple, a Kraton has 1.3in, or 33mm ground clearance. My XXL2e (well, not mine anymore, Simmyotos now) has 3.7in, or 94mm ground clearance. There's no "gliding over the terrain" for a Kraton where a big MT goes. The shocks of a XXL2e are also 25mm longer. 

While the XXL2e didn't handle like a truggy, it did handle quite well. It traction rolls on high grip, yes. So does the Kraton, the Maxx, the X-Maxx, the Mojave, and pretty much anything that runs big tyres. No, of course it didn't handle like a truggy. But if i wanted something that handles like a truggy, why on earth would i be looking at monster trucks? If i want something that is great at traversing rocks, i'm not looking at buggies either. If i wanted something that handles like a truggy, i'd get the Kraton. If i want a 1/7 that handles well, i'd buy the UDR over the X-Maxx. The X-Maxx is a monster truck. Much like the XXL2e, an actual monster truck (solid axle, don't care). Unlike the Maxx which is, according to Traxxas, the same category

Nah. It's fine if you don't like MTs (obviously), but don't ask for MTs to be turned into truggies. 

Well you can all speculate as much as you want trouble is none of us know what it is and I’m with Tug the countdown clock is far too long. I can see why they did it mind as it  puts the kibosh on the new Maxx release as folks will now won’t to wait and see what else is coming so a nice sneaky bit of marketing games by Arrma imo 

I mean for all we know it could just be a extended kraton with bigger wheels 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

I'm not sure if i get that correctly, what do you mean by "step" down to the diffs? It's pretty simple, a Kraton has 1.3in, or 33mm ground clearance. My XXL2e (well, not mine anymore, Simmyotos now) has 3.7in, or 94mm ground clearance. There's no "gliding over the terrain" for a Kraton where a big MT goes. The shocks of a XXL2e are also 25mm longer. 

While the XXL2e didn't handle like a truggy, it did handle quite well. It traction rolls on high grip, yes. So does the Kraton, the Maxx, the X-Maxx, the Mojave, and pretty much anything that runs big tyres. No, of course it didn't handle like a truggy. But if i wanted something that handles like a truggy, why on earth would i be looking at monster trucks? If i want something that is great at traversing rocks, i'm not looking at buggies either. If i wanted something that handles like a truggy, i'd get the Kraton. If i want a 1/7 that handles well, i'd buy the UDR over the X-Maxx. The X-Maxx is a monster truck. Much like the XXL2e, an actual monster truck (solid axle, don't care). Unlike the Maxx which is, according to Traxxas, the same category

Nah. It's fine if you don't like MTs (obviously), but don't ask for MTs to be turned into truggies. 

Well the x-maxx and e-maxx have a chassis that's raised far above the diffs to the point where it's like a step up to the chassis from the skid plate. So while the ride height may be higher in the center, the diffs are still just as low to the ground as the front and rear arms. Whereas something like the Thunder tiger mt4 g3 is based off of a truggy with big ol' wheels and tires. So it has a flat chassis. But the height of the diffs will still be roughly the same as the e-maxx because the they have similar sized tires. (X-maxx obviously bigger). So the e-maxx technically has the higher ride height but the lowest point in the truck will be the same. So to my knowledge the extra ride height of the non flat chassis trucks is kinda useless?

The stuff I said about gliding over terrain, I'm referring to the fact that the bottom of the chassis being consistent throughout the length of the truck so if you were to go over an obstacle, there's no hitches in the bottom of the truck to catch on meaning it gets over easier ( this only really applies at speed ) where something that has a raised ride height may get caught as it can get snagged in the area leading down from the chassis to the skid plate.

I just remember Jang from urc saying all this many years ago and it made sense in my head. I obviously get that mts aren't meant to be very good handling, they're just meant to be stupid fun but that was just my thoughts, I hate having to walk over to get my truck all the time and with a low CoG you don't have to do it as much.

Idk how well I've explained my thoughts lmao but there they are

Edited by fnknan

Totally agree about the step-downs, known it for years having owned (and still got em) two E-Maxx trucks. Mine rarely grip roll because I use the original Chevron tyres and soft suspension. MTs don't need to handle supremely well, they're about having fun. I can't stand tippy machines anymore than anyone else. I don't want wheelies with every tickle of the throttle, only when I want a wheelie. And yes, definitely prefer having a CD, even in MTs. 

The flat chassis handles better and presents all the bits that need maintenance in easier access positions that are located on top of that flat chassis. In many respects the flat chassis designs wins, but it lacks soul. They're stone cold. Too good at everything. Give me something that doesn't look like a flat piece of metal with some parts attached to it. Give me something that resembles a machine. My old E-Maxx, Revo and Savvy trucks have soul in spades. Harder to work on, but more pleasurable in the long run. 

Definitely a marketing trick, people will hold off spending on Christmas presents until they've seen the new arrival. 

2 hours ago, fnknan said:

Well the x-maxx and e-maxx have a chassis that's raised far above the diffs to the point where it's like a step up to the chassis from the skid plate. So while the ride height may be higher in the center, the diffs are still just as low to the ground as the front and rear arms. Whereas something like the Thunder tiger mt4 g3 is based off of a truggy with big ol' wheels and tires. So it has a flat chassis. But the height of the diffs will still be roughly the same as the e-maxx because the they have similar sized tires. (X-maxx obviously bigger). So the e-maxx technically has the higher ride height but the lowest point in the truck will be the same. So to my knowledge the extra ride height of the non flat chassis trucks is kinda useless?

The stuff I said about gliding over terrain, I'm referring to the fact that the bottom of the chassis being consistent throughout the length of the truck so if you were to go over an obstacle, there's no hitches in the bottom of the truck to catch on meaning it gets over easier ( this only really applies at speed ) where something that has a raised ride height may get caught as it can get snagged in the area leading down from the chassis to the skid plate.

I just remember Jang from urc saying all this many years ago and it made sense in my head. I obviously get that mts aren't meant to be very good handling, they're just meant to be stupid fun but that was just my thoughts, I hate having to walk over to get my truck all the time and with a low CoG you don't have to do it as much.

Idk how well I've explained my thoughts lmao but there they are

Don't get me wrong, as mentioned, it's subjective: i'm not gonna try and talk you out of your opinion - i just don'e share it. I never got stuck with anything on the XXL2e either - it might be "more likely" in theory, but in practice i can't say i've ever noticed. That said: i didn't run my MT as people run their Kratons, either. 

And again: it's entirely fine to want a low CoG - i'm saying is, design a truggy then, rather than compromise both. A "monsterfied truggy" doesn't handle well (or as well, rather) as an actual truggy - nor does it have the appeal and habits of a real monster truck. 

Definitely a marketing trick, people will hold off spending on Christmas presents until they've seen the new arrival. 

It's a bit late though. Ideally you want people ordering in November so you can fulfil your deliveries until christmas. I can't imagine many things worse than ordering a gift, and the company not making it until christmas. Keep in mind, it comes out close to the beginning of december. That's basically four weeks from reveal (not "being in stock" - that begins after reveal) to christmas. Bit tight. For christmas, you'd roughly want the reveal now (would suit me better, too -.-). 

2 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

It's a bit late though. Ideally you want people ordering in November so you can fulfil your deliveries until christmas. I can't imagine many things worse than ordering a gift, and the company not making it until christmas. Keep in mind, it comes out close to the beginning of december. That's basically four weeks from reveal (not "being in stock" - that begins after reveal) to christmas. Bit tight. For christmas, you'd roughly want the reveal now (would suit me better, too -.-). 

I doubt Christmas will come into the equation as I dare say these won’t be priced at what you’d spend on a kids rc plus if it is a large scale you’d be more inclined to buy a kid something smaller. Most adults don’t really care if it comes at Christmas or not just getting one would be a bigger concern 🤣 

If it’s not a marketing ploy to stuff up the Maxx release why have they left us waiting and guessing for so long they could have left it until closer the time 🤷‍♂️

Just now, mydoddy69 said:

I doubt Christmas will come into the equation as I dare say these won’t be priced at what you’d spend on a kids rc plus if it is a large scale you’d be more inclined to buy a kid something smaller. Most adults don’t really care if it comes at Christmas or not just getting one would be a bigger concern 🤣 

If it’s not a marketing ploy to stuff up the Maxx release why have they left us waiting and guessing for so long they could have left it until closer the time 🤷‍♂️

Christmas is where the money sits loose. If i'd ever spend another £1000 on an RC that i can't explain by "but look, it has a Hasselblad camera", it'll be around christmas. Generally christmas is the time where i buy the stupidest (/expensive/useless to me/pointless/ridiculous) RCs. 

If it were a marketing ploy, they would've started teasing before the Maxx hit the shops, to dig at the first wave of orders. Now most orders are in (you're a good example there), people have or are waiting for their Maxx-es, and certainly won't order another £1000 RC (or the vast majority). At least from where i'm sitting. Not to mention that there would be major disappointment either way, an Armaxx wouldn't be marketed against the Maxx anyway - and if it's something that actually is marketed against the Maxx (like another/fixed Nero, for example), people will be disappointed that it's not an Armaxx.

Guess all we can do is wait, enjoy the memes that Arrma posts in the facebook conversation and hope for a (real) teaser. 

3 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Christmas is where the money sits loose. If i'd ever spend another £1000 on an RC that i can't explain by "but look, it has a Hasselblad camera", it'll be around christmas. Generally christmas is the time where i buy the stupidest (/expensive/useless to me/pointless/ridiculous) RCs. 

If it were a marketing ploy, they would've started teasing before the Maxx hit the shops, to dig at the first wave of orders. Now most orders are in (you're a good example there), people have or are waiting for their Maxx-es, and certainly won't order another £1000 RC (or the vast majority). At least from where i'm sitting. Not to mention that there would be major disappointment either way, an Armaxx wouldn't be marketed against the Maxx anyway - and if it's something that actually is marketed against the Maxx (like another/fixed Nero, for example), people will be disappointed that it's not an Armaxx.

Guess all we can do is wait, enjoy the memes that Arrma posts in the facebook conversation and hope for a (real) teaser. 

Then you clearly haven’t seen this yet then regarding the Maxx  plus nothing stopping anyone cancelling there pre order I have 🤣👍. Just because you buy at Christmas doesn’t mean everybody does plus rc fans will and do buy anytime of the year. The maxx has only just hit the shops and a week later out came the announcement so if you where going to get a maxx for your kid or other half for xmas you might well hold off now to see what’s coming. Let’s be honest no one knows what it is yet or what it’s aimed at 

Important Information Regarding Shipping:

This product will be available for in-store purchase only until the 1st December 2019. Please note, any orders placed for delivery will not be despatched until on or after this date. More details on this Traxxas policy