• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MCD racing 5th generation

Kukynas

just got the message from seller of the Xti motor that they screwed it up and sent something else :banghead: will get my money back but time wasted and not sure what to do now, will have to hope that SSS will work as expected without backup plan...

• Like 1

so I can't source the Core RC cans in my country and UK shops aren't allowed to ship cans out of the country due to hazardous content so I'm left with Tamiya colors for the moment which should be fine (I hope) 

second issue is that supplier of the ESC fail to ship it on time and I wasted another month so all over again with someone else 🙄 

positive news is that I found solution for high current supply so to deliver even 400A to the motor shouldn't be an issue but it won't be cheap tho 😝 

body arrived, grill arrived too except it's small 😫 and coz I'm double blind decals aren't included so order again :banghead: fortunately nothing unusual as I'm pretty good in paying for extra shipping 🤦‍♂️

IMG_1905.thumb.JPG.7e0f0e6e285a31ff76c3ca6d8e2c2979.JPGIMG_1906.thumb.JPG.266c3bb4b43f8307da97d9e820144ac4.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'll stick to ZTW for now (finally one on the way) and will test it with SSS for start, later would like to add 3080 Lehner motor.

MCD parts are usually on stock, main trouble is with electronics (china) and hop up parts such as carbon fiber sheet, alu parts (grills, stiffeners, etc), all again from china unless someone's willing to pay several times more for local producers (carbon fiber out of china cost me $25, locally $100)

my earlier comment regarding 400A supply was related to batteries which are the main bottleneck here, ESC can handle up to 1000A short term (couple of seconds) but even the best RC lipo battery on the market won't supply more than 250A, now some might argue why more than 250A? under normal situation that should be plenty especially at 50V operation but my goal with this car is 1Kw of power per 1Kg of weight which requires bit more than just standard setup

slowly starting with disassembly, due to limited space for batteries I won't be able to use motor mount, brushless conversion kit, radio/servo/brake tray and spur has to be moved from front to back with consequent rework of center diff mount top plate so a lot of work front of me, managed to install alu front chassis stiffener and found new 50T spur (DBXL-E) and adequate pinion.

any recommendation for motor mount with back holder?

before and after, that's all for now...

IMG_1922.thumb.JPG.5b1cd779bb036d406d71aed4d3f7a081.JPGIMG_1923.thumb.JPG.e60855651063444b2504b9afb140e94b.JPG 

• 3 weeks later...

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel 😀, yep but not gonna use them, I'm trying to weight balance it and to be able to do it properly I have to build my own trays from carbon fiber (on the way already) below pictures how it will look (same as @.AJ.s 5ive-B) , 2 front and 2 stack where original battery box used to be, now to be able to fit front row of batteries I have to push the motor mount couple of cm to the rear means I have to buy new motor plate and drill new holes, no big deal as MCD is selling the competition version in solid alu, second step is to rotate spur gear by 180 degree to align it with pinion means new diff mount and top plate, again shouldn't be a big deal if the alu one from china fits (original MCD won't) , last picture showing what happens with tires when the weight balance isn't appropriate (left wheels especially rear one)

I plan to speed run with XS5 and see what can I squeeze out of it so weight balance is even more important 

IMG_1926.thumb.JPG.4b3a6348ed2da67a4cc380db7da2b2c6.JPGIMG_1973.thumb.JPG.2d18a1aef606ab81dc850a60ccfa13cf.JPGtyres.thumb.jpg.7220cc479dbf7874e6c81056d0fbb152.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

so spur arrived and I got 50% lucky, remaining 50 needs to be sorted out, solid bar has holes on different places which shouldn't be an issue but spur has different nose for different bearing so either I have to CNCit or buy specific bearing (15x24x6) which is hard to source, quick question for @.AJ. , which bearing do you use with your spur gear? stock flanged LOSB5973 or any other?  I could get 15x24x5 and add 1mm steel washer but that's not very smart solution, most practical would be CNCit down to 12x24x6 like original is and use standard bearing available everywhere.

forgot about another option, CNCit to 15x24x7 and buy regular bearing available everywhere but it would be 1mm wider (on inner side) than diff housing which shouldn't be an issue 

Edited by Kukynas
added sentence

so here's the situation with clutch housing (original motor mount), there are 2 bearings with 17x30x7 dimension, their max rpm is 32k in open type, 26K in 2Z and 14K in 2RS, motor will turn 39K rpm so in all cases I have to go different road means new motor mount and pinion directly attached on output shaft which means also new pinion with 8mm hole instead of original MCD with square hole, all in all 100 bucks wasted and another 4-6 weeks waiting time :banghead:

machining of the spur in progress, new bearings on the way, new through hole pinion on the way, new motor mount on the way and new servo saver set on the way too, hopefully in 4wks time all ready for assembly...

• Like 1

CNCing went well, new holes in solid bar and spur nose downsized (from 15 to 12mm) to accommodate MCD bearing,  now this solid bar supposed to be pushed by 2.4kw 2.0NM motor, new brushless motor is 5x more powerful so lets hope I wouldn't see shrapnels flying around in 30k rpm 😂

new rounded output caps will be added to be able to attach rubber boots means no mechanical brakes anymore

IMG_2075.thumb.JPG.b3a792c28e5524e5fa30f236d2036773.JPG

• Like 1