• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

E-Revo 2.0 motor/ESC combo decisions

After opinions on these ESC/Combos for my E Revo 2.0 

Option 1
Tekin RX8 Gen3 & T8 1700kv motor

Option 2
Castle Monster X & 1515 2200kv motor

Running off 6S 

To add to the mix there is the T8 1550kv option which would put the motor in the 30k rpm range but fear it might run a little short on speed, I could gear it up more but I have seen a few run into heat issue gearing up a 1500kv on this chassis.

thanks in advance 

The Tekin has the best spec but it's not waterproof, the Castle has the best list of programming options and is waterproof and both are sensored. The Max 8 is sort of  cheap and cheerful. I'd probably go for the Max 8 as the other two are wasted on an erevo, unless RCmart is doing a special on Tekin, which they occasionally do.

14 minutes ago, Tug said:

It has a reduction gearbox, so you don't need any of the low kv options. 2000 to 2200 will be best. 

True but these are known to run hot dropping the kv will help elevate some of this. 

2 hours ago, Guns said:

Its the stock electrics that run hot. 

Have heard a few comment the same on the castle set up (not just Nick) 

But and a huge but, as it’s staring me in the face, you are running that 6S kv set up and running ok temps (I assume) 

Any 2200kv motor on 6S geared for speed will run hot. The Castle can absolutely take that sort of power though, it's rated for 60000 rpm.  The price is the main sticking point, because the ESC comes packed with features not found elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, mond said:

Any 2200kv motor on 6S geared for speed will run hot. The Castle can absolutely take that sort of power though, it's rated for 60000 rpm.  The price is the main sticking point, because the ESC comes packed with features not found elsewhere. 

From my research the MX and RX8 Gen3 look pretty much level on feature unless I’m missing something.

Price wise the MX & 1515 is around £280 and the RX8 & T8 is £315 (only drawback is the Castle is backordered until mid June) 

1 minute ago, EvilR said:

From my research the MX and RX8 Gen3 look pretty much level on feature unless I’m missing something.

Price wise the MX & 1515 is around £280 and the RX8 & T8 is £315 (only drawback is the Castle is backordered until mid June) 

The Mamba Monster X has the 3rd channel option and the programming options are more powerful, but unless you're using it for racing or in a crawler, I doubt either will be of too much use. The Tekin isn't waterproof but I believe is capable of 212amps, which is obscene. You'd need to factor in also buying the Tekin hotwire (unless the Gen3 has bluetooth) and witht the Castle, it will need a Castle link, unless there's now a bluetooth option out. There was talk of one.

Just need to align your needs with whatever you decide to buy. They all have advantages and disadvantages but you can't really go wrong with any of them. I would however say the Tekin is the least suited to use in a erevo. It's really meant for 4-5S racing in an 8th scale buggy or truggy. 

The Hobbywing is also a lot easier to program with the £21 lcd programmer too.

Mines over geared and runs hot, but it isnt an issue and I dont run a fan/heatsink. 

I think you’d be crazy to spend £280-315 when the HW combo is almost half the price, available next day from Modelsport even with TRX Connectors 

Edited by Guns

For a basher, I'd go Hobbywing with a pit card, or Castle if you're feeling flush. 

Castle still has the nicest drive, so smooth, even on their old sensorless systems. Pit card is available, intuitive to use. 

The Hobbywing ESCs have come a long way, good drive, good braking. In days past, you only got three stabs of the brakes, a fourth application of brakes would actually send the car in to reverse, while still moving forward! They seem to have fixed that now. The Quicrun is preferable, this gives the option of running odd cell counts, the Max range doesn't. Their motors are fine, only got one myself, but it's fine. 

Valid points and listened too!

I should of mentioned I am/was looking at Tekin for my 1/10 so that was one of the reason I was so keen on them as it made sense to run the same on both cars, however once looking more into HW they do a few nice options for my planned 1/10.

To be fair and I don’t mean this is a blasé  manner but cost isn’t really my concern within reason I was just after what I liked and what was advised, however I can’t deny the saving from running 2 HW systems Vs 2 Tekin’s is a fair amount!

1 hour ago, EvilR said:

Valid points and listened too!

I should of mentioned I am/was looking at Tekin for my 1/10 so that was one of the reason I was so keen on them as it made sense to run the same on both cars, however once looking more into HW they do a few nice options for my planned 1/10.

To be fair and I don’t mean this is a blasé  manner but cost isn’t really my concern within reason I was just after what I liked and what was advised, however I can’t deny the saving from running 2 HW systems Vs 2 Tekin’s is a fair amount!

If costs no concern sell the E Revo and buy the Tekno MT410 in the classifieds ;)

12 minutes ago, Guns said:

If costs no concern sell the E Revo and buy the Tekno MT410 in the classifieds ;)

The MT410 does nothing for me!

I know kits are better and what I’ve dropped in the E Revo I could of purchased one highly spec’d with money left over I actually love the look of the E Revo and half that is the driving force for me to want! Who in their right mind runs Boca yellows in a Revo (me haha) 

Looking at a 1/10 truggy from either Tekno or X-Ray, just seen the X-Ray teaser so that might be an option.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...