• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cheap brushless system for the bomber?

Hi guys I had the bomber out yesterday in the park and it's painfully slow.I can't afford castle stuff and don't need rocket speed but something to make it fun.Has anyone got any links or suggestions please?

Is it totally stock?

You could try just increasing the pinion size by a few teeth and see if that's quick enough. That will certainly be the cheapest option but note you will need to check your motor and ESC temperatures regularly to make sure you're not overheating for a few runs.

If it does overheat then a new motor or combo will be best[emoji106]

You wouldn't have to go brushless, a fewer turn motor and 3s lipo will give it a good in the guts [emoji6]

Holmes does a trailmaster in 21t and 27t which are inexpensive and good quality. I personally prefer the 27t.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just realised I'm preaching to someone who knows what they're doing [emoji1787][emoji1787] sorry bud, too much time on my hands this morning!

Cheap brushless would probably be the goolrc stuff [emoji106]

[emoji125]

• Like 1

Thanks guys yes it's stock and Dartmoor trials I don't  have a clue what I am talking about lol.To be honest as fast as my son's brushed ftx outlaw with a 2s lipo will be fast enough.I have an axial 20t motor here but I have been told that it will burn out in minutes.Maybe a Holmes 21t with a 1080 will be the way to go?

If I was to go Holmes trailmaster 21t would I want the 540 or the 550?Also would a pinion size change be recommended?
Not sure if the 540 goes below 27t?
Pretty sure the bomber can take a 550 and that would be better versus the 540.
A 21t Holmes 550 size could be a good setup for you and marrying it with a 1080 would be a really good combo.
As for pinion sizes, I'd start up around a 15t and check those temps! Might even want to start lower like 13t...
I've a 11t pinion in mine but that's a brushless setup and I get near on 6:1 ratio.
Try it and see [emoji106]

• Like 1

They only seem to have a couple of versions in 540 size, was looking yesterday.  Couldn't find anything in the UK.  Tried HH own site, 20 usd...hmmm...not bad I thought.  But 30 odd dollars for delivery ? 

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

They only seem to have a couple of versions in 540 size, was looking yesterday.  Couldn't find anything in the UK.  Tried HH own site, 20 usd...hmmm...not bad I thought.  But 30 odd dollars for delivery ? 

It's the 550 size one we need.The 540 is the standard axial size and will fit obviously but the 550 is ment to be better.

As I understand it, Anything made in China then shipped to the US for final packaging and distribution is being affected by Trump's trade war. So Castle, Tekin and Holmes are all affected. It may be worth looking into a non US brand as those are unaffected.

Yup, I've also been looking at that can, with postage it comes to 25 usd, which is only about 2 usd, or £1.50 over the import VAT threshold...  Turns what would have been a £19 motor (delivered) into a £33+ motor! 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Holmes today and got stung with a £13:14 charge but it doesn't matter as it's still cheaper than ordering from Holmes.Going to order the 1080 on pay day and wouldn't mind getting the Ali motor mount aswell but I can't find the inner circle mount bit that you need to order separately in stock.Amazon has the full motor mount kit but they are gpm ones and I am not sure of the quality.

Edited by martin34

Got the Holmes today and got stung with a £13:14 charge but it doesn't matter as it's still cheaper than ordering from Holmes.Going to order the 1080 on pay day and wouldn't mind getting the Ali motor mount aswell but I can't find the inner circle mount bit that you need to order separately in stock.Amazon has the full motor mount kit but they are gpm ones and I am not sure of the quality.
Unlucky on the charge.
I have that mount but not installed yet as the stock seems absolutely fine [emoji106]
What gearing will you be trying out?
Need to replace the system in boys Wraith and now erring towards brushed given he doesn't really hoon about too much[emoji85]

• 2 weeks later...