• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Bomber upgrades?

Hi guys I have just ordered a RTR bomber.Is there any out of the box upgrades recommend?I am going to use it for a bit of crawling but also light bashing in the park.Thanks for any tips and advice.

1 hour ago, martin34 said:

Hi guys I have just ordered a RTR bomber.Is there any out of the box upgrades recommend?I am going to use it for a bit of crawling but also light bashing in the park.Thanks for any tips and advice.

@Oh How Original had/got one, he may be able to advise on this mate.

To be honest, I could give you a massive list of things to upgrade, but most of them just aren't necessary, especially when it's brushed, it's awesome right from the get go, if anything I would say change the motor, get the Holmes Hobbies trailermaster sport 21t or 27t, get a few 3s LiPos and just enjoy it, they're such an awesome RC.

The stock Axial motors will burn up so fast on 3s and to be honest it's kinda boring on a 2s pack.

Just be aware of the battery compartment size, not all 3s packs fit, it can be a bit tight.

• Like 1

Thanks very much mate for the advice.I have read that the rear sway bar is a good upgrade aswell.
Absolutely you'll want to do this. But it's one of those things you can try and do without first off and then decide.
I recommend the Vanquish sway bar but axial also do one.
Can't remember what servo they bung in these stock but I imagine that'll be another replacement you'll want to consider. The MG959 is very good and nice and cheap [emoji106]
A 3S 4500 hardpack lipo fits in mine (overlander) I think but you might need to shift the ESC back to accomplish this[emoji848]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Personally I would upgrade the steering servo from the off, one of those power hd 20kg servos would do the job (around £20 I think) and the other job would be fit cvd’s on the front, ive found the axial branded ones to last a lot longer than Vanquish or Rc4wd equivalents.

cant remember if it has bendy steering links, if so the Vanquish titanium links are the best option in my opinion.

rest I would probably upgrade over time... should you wish.

hope this helps mate :good:

Had another quick go this morning and blimey this is weird to drive compared to what I am used to.The drag brake is strange.I am used to normal branding but this goes straight into reverse popping reverse wheelie.

Had another quick go this morning and blimey this is weird to drive compared to what I am used to.The drag brake is strange.I am used to normal branding but this goes straight into reverse popping reverse wheelie.
Yep, crawler kit is usually forward-reverse only. You can dial in a different ESC like the hobbywing 10bl120 for brushless which will give you a lesser drag brake but forward-brake-reverse. It's just something to get used to and one of the reasons the mamba X is so popular in these rigs. You can choose to have a drag brake or not on the fly.
Unfortunately mega bucks!

What is the current stock esc mate?

fairly sure it will have forward/brake/reverse enabled esc, would be madness on axial’s part if it didn’t.....

hobbywing 1080 esc and a Holmes hobbies 550 torquemaster 27t would be my preferred route and indeed was when I had one. Won’t cost no more than £60 and your guaranteed decent electrics should you wish to use it in any kind of wet condition including submersion, that’s from experience. That is of course you wish to stay brushed.

if brushless tickles your fancy, the new hobbywing axe system might be worth a look, another properly waterproof combo. But I believe these are around the £200. 

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

AE5 if it's stock RTR.

http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/1073910280

Might help with fine tuning emoji106.png

I'm personally not a fan of them but I see no reason to not run it into the ground before swapping out!

Amain are shipping the Castle Sidewinder 4 for $82 right now if you're interested!

Ahh yes, the old hobbywing 1040, they have been knocking these out for a while now, I had one in a new Dodge Ram power wagon scx10 when they first came out. Weren’t very good back then lol.

Ahh yes, the old hobbywing 1040, they have been knocking these out for a while now, I had one in a new Dodge Ram power wagon scx10 when they first came out. Weren’t very good back then lol.

Mine was like a mini nuclear reactor in my of scx10! Such a difference finding the hw1080[emoji106]

4 hours ago, Gaz! said:

if brushless tickles your fancy, the new hobbywing axe system might be worth a look, another properly waterproof combo. But I believe these are around the £200. 

I'd watch the video John Holmes did of the AXE before buying. It doesn't appear to be all that great. Put me off buying one anyway. If you're going to spend the cash to go Brushless the Mamba X is on a different level in terms of programming and both the RX4 and Mamba X have more features. The puller pro is meant to currently have the lowest start up rpm out of the that, the slates and axe. Don't know about the roc412 though. 

Thanks guys but it's going to stay brushed for a bit but I will go brushless in the future.Its my boys birthday Saturday and if I have any money left on Sunday I am going to order the axial sway bar and the incision link kit.I know they are quite a bit heavier than the titanium ones but a bit of extra weight low down should help with roll overs and they look beefier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mond said:

I'd watch the video John Holmes did of the AXE before buying. It doesn't appear to be all that great. Put me off buying one anyway. If you're going to spend the cash to go Brushless the Mamba X is on a different level in terms of programming and both the RX4 and Mamba X have more features. The puller pro is meant to currently have the lowest start up rpm out of the that, the slates and axe. Don't know about the roc412 though. 

Ahh right never investigated the Axe set-up in depth. Definitely agree with the mamba x and puller pro being the better option, not the cheapest mind...

the tekin motors are supposed to be good too although never had one personally....

as its staying brushed for the foreseeable future, the 1080 and Holmes motor will be perfect. :good: