• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Removing bearing ring from hobao hex axle

MMG

Can the bearing ring be successfully removed from the hobao hex axle crank off shaft. I have managed to break at least 4 of the bearing rings in the starter. I have plenty of ball bearings to replace them (£1.57 for 10) but it appears the base ring is attached solid to the shaft once all the balls and metal outter is removed. So the whole thing has to be replaced at greater cost (about £10) every time. I have been enjoying nitro cars for a few years but am new to this forum. I hope this hasn’t been covered elsewhere but I can’t see it if it has. Thank you all in advance. It’s only the newer hobao COPS system that use these stupid bearings!

I also find the only sign that it has disintegrated in the starter is the pull starter cord not retracting which can terminate in broken starters too!

6C8A06C5-AB52-407E-99AC-9DB482B686CC.png

Edited by MMG
More info

Do you have pics to help visualize?

When i had afew popped bearings and the bearing race was stuck inside. I used a plastic paint brush handle poked it through the hole then punched it all the way through with hammer and driver and it brought the races out the other side. It was a punch the air moment seeing that first race finally come out. £50 part not wasted lol. 

Thank you for your reply. That sounds ingenious using the paintbrush head! Unfortunately the ring that I find unmovable is that at the innermost on the bearing in the picture.

It seems welded to the starter shaft and as it’s against the hex I can’t even carefully saw it to prove whether it is?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump.

It would be really beneficial to know this bearing size. I was putting a roto start backplate on my Hyper 30 VS and noticed that the bearing on the hex axle had fallen apart. The engine hasn't been used that much so it's very disappointing. I had no trouble getting the bearing off the hex axle as it had completely broken to pieces.

What I'm really surprised is that the manifold and exhaust cannot be reinstalled with the roto start backplate installed. The manifold is tight against the roto start part that sticks up at 45 degrees where you put the hex driver into to spin it. Not only that, but the manifold is night flush against the engine as the roto start interferes with it being installed correctly. No-one else has mentioned this problem. I need to use something like the Hyper 7 exhaust for it to all fit. I guess this should go in a different topic.