• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What a load of Yama...

Grimsson

Finally had time to start my yama 30cc buggy today, or so I thought. After the first two pulls on the starter cord, it wouldn't recoil. I didn't pull it hard or too far out.

I took the pull cord off and found weak plastic internals to turn over a 30cc motor, really? The plastic ring had snapped. I have had to pay £26 for a replacement one with metal internals like it should be as standard.

Trying to get hold of Nitrotek, what a waste of time that was, not impressed!

Any how, that's my moan over. Hope everybody else had a better day ?

Unlucky they got you mate. Yama are well known as junk BUT nitrotek are good at getting their stuff seen on Google and the prices do the rest. 

You can easily get a metal paw or something to beef up your pull start or swap for better pullstart. Km baja mayb. Km baja is the cheapest go to 5th scale with lots of support still around for bajas. But you'll probably just keep on running the yama and finding something else needing beefed up. Things like pull starts and other universal fit stuff is easy. But good upgrade gears, plastics etc mayb harder to get. Unless parts from other models can be modded to suit the yama. 

Good luck with it man. 

• Like 1

Plastic internals are not the issue.....HPI Baja's all have plastic internals on the pullstarts...which were standard issue on the original Zenoah motors and all the clones. The problem is when the plastic used is not up to the task. A pullstart takes a lot of abuse and should last years when used correctly. Never pull the thing until it goes no further....usual stuff.

Normally...heavy handed users snap cables.

To have the pawl break up means the thing was poorly made with materials just not up to the job. Plenty of decent replacements out there as I guess the thing is common to all these motors. Metal pawls just transfer the stress...which is why I have always stuck with plastic. But get a better quality replacement. Not another Yama one from Nitrotek.

• Like 1

I have got all the aluminium upgrade parts coming from a seller on eBay, so won't be much left to break easily.

I was thinking of getting a better engine with tuned exhaust for it later on. What kind of engines fit this car? and what kind of things will I have to replace/mod to make it possible to fit a high performance engine?

I'm a bit obsessed with power and speed so would want something more powerful, or would you recommend just building a custom Baja or Losi truggy instead of wasting money on the yama? 

I would suggest starting with a solid Baja or Losi if you want to go for serious power. Use the Yama for what it is, and you can have fun with it...but I reckon pushing the power up will just highlight more issues and lead to frustration. Get a decent Baja roller for £250-£300 with some upgrades in place, and then add your motor of choice.

• Like 2

Definitely don't waste anymore money on a Yama.

Would also recommend not to just cover it in alloy as well, chances are it'll be cheap in quality and it just adds unnecessary weight, I can't imagine any of the quality manufacturers make a lot of parts for the Yama buggy.

If you want to go fast, the last thing you want is more weight.

The Yama will unfortunately never be able to be bashed properly, they're just very poor RCs, so save your money and put it towards a Baja or a 5ive/X2.

I'd probably chalk the Yama up to an expensive experience and a bad decision.

• Like 1

What a day lol ?.........

Yama has broke again! 

I done the run-in all went fine. I went to the local park and tuned low and high end, was running really well and responding fast. Then I started to open it up and the rear suspension fell apart and flipped the car. Can't find the spring anywhere and I'm not spending any more money on it.

The suspension piston is just a push fit in to a bit of plastic, nothing holding it in.

I will be saving up for a second hand well looked after Baja then swopping the engine and exhaust out for something race tuned from O'Neil Brothers Racing. 

From the 3/4 of a tank of fuel I managed to bash it for I can say that I'm going to enjoy the hobby a lot when I get the right buggy ?

Do you recon I will be able to sell the yama for spares or just take it to the tip? 

Let me know if you or anybody you know is selling a decent Baja, I might be interested.

Edited by Grimsson
Spellings rubbish

Hi there I've got a yama myself and believe me mate I wouldn't listen to what most have said bcoz I've had less hassle withmy yama than any of my fg marders etc!! So long as you upgrade the right bits then you'll love it mate!! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diydrifter said:

Hi there I've got a yama myself and believe me mate I wouldn't listen to what most have said bcoz I've had less hassle withmy yama than any of my fg marders etc!! So long as you upgrade the right bits then you'll love it mate!! :)

Hi there dude, 

I don't know what to say, I must of had a bad one of a batch or something. Even the screws were bad quality. But a couple good things I can say is it did start well, tune well and went well for all of 30 minutes. 

But from my experience of building and tuning nitro helicopters, it was not a good car quality wise. The cost to upgrade it to something remotely capable of bashing would be too high and putting a decent, powerful engine in it later on, I think it would pull itself apart. 

Just down to my bad luck! ?

P.S. I hope your Yama keeps going strong. 

• Like 1

Well mine has cost me peanuts to maintain and believe me mate I bash it, crash it and whatever else you can think of doing with it and it's never ever given me any cause for concern mate!!! 

We're you located at pal coz I might be able to help you out if you're not too far away from me!! :)

Thank you for the offer diydrifter but I have already sold it to another msuk member. 

Im from Torbay, Devon. If you are from around here we could still meet for a bash once I finish my Losi build. 

Cheers, Mike. 

8 hours ago, Grimsson said:

Thank you for the offer diydrifter but I have already sold it to another msuk member. 

Im from Torbay, Devon. If you are from around here we could still meet for a bash once I finish my Losi build. 

Cheers, Mike. 

No worries mate I'm up just past Manchester!! So quite a trek!! But if you ever need anything else then always give me a shout coz I've got alsorts if rc stuff and you won't get it any cheaper than from me pal!! :)

• 3 months later...

Goinging to Revive this thread, i just got a 1 year old yama 30cc Limited edition 1/5th its only been used once when it was bought and its in mint condition it got all metal upgrades, one problem im having is that the black fuel pipe is building pressure up when the prime pump is pressed 3-4times but the prime pump isnt filling with fuel and the second clear pipe has no fuel in, if someones got one of these buggys dose the black pipe go to the rear of the carb or the frunt? any pics you can put up might help, (Hard to find clear photos online)

7 hours ago, Walney-Reptiles said:

Goinging to Revive this thread, i just got a 1 year old yama 30cc Limited edition 1/5th its only been used once when it was bought and its in mint condition it got all metal upgrades, one problem im having is that the black fuel pipe is building pressure up when the prime pump is pressed 3-4times but the prime pump isnt filling with fuel and the second clear pipe has no fuel in, if someones got one of these buggys dose the black pipe go to the rear of the carb or the frunt? any pics you can put up might help, (Hard to find clear photos online)

Hi Walney-Reptiles,

All I would do is swap the fuel pipes around and test. If it still doesn’t work, try checking inside the carb for blockages as well as the fuel lines. 

I would of thought the fuel lines would be the wrong way round. 

Hope this helps. 

Mike. 

8 hours ago, Walney-Reptiles said:

Fuel flows in the bottom and out the top of the carb so if you look in the fuel tank the line with the filter on should go to the nipple at the base of the carb, hope that helps?

• Like 1