• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best all round 1.9 tyre?

.AJ.

pit bull rock beast in 1.9 with CI foams, supposed to be the best there is. Ive got a set of 1.55 rock beast and they are super super grippy. Had a set of 1.55 growlers too which were also great. Depends what diameter you need, ive always wanted a set of those ottsix KLRs but they are too huge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Freddy said:

“3 years later”, 😆 

Just bumping this up in the hope someone notices it. 
Really baffled by all the choices and don’t want to spend £40+ on rubbish tyres.

Its not just the quality of the tire / tread its the rubber compound that sets them apart.
This is also just one aspect as good tires and rubbish foams result in poor performance due to lack of control of the tire.
Thus i would also be looking at 2 stage and single stage foams or 3d printed not foams or similar of your serious about getting the most from your crawler.
A good / best all rounder imo is the ProLine Flat Iron g8 compound, that being said they are big, so you might be better looking at the class 0 or 1 tires as they come in at 98mm tall.
I see most top end comp people using the BF Goodrich Krawler for the solid side lugs and deep tread, as these wear down on the rocks the traction actually improves and they look the part as its what most the real rock crawler use.
The traxxas 1.9 canyon tires from traxxas are very good as they rubber compound is spot on, the foams however are the worst and 2 stage foams transform them into an amazing tire.
Single stage in the rear for stability and stop the tires bottoming out on climbs and 2 stage in the front to allow them to still hook.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Redback said:

What truck is it? And what wheels are you mounting too?

They are going on an Element Enduro Trailwalker and will (probably) be mounted on a set of Gmade stamped steel beadlocks.

5 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

They are going on an Element Enduro Trailwalker and will (probably) be mounted on a set of Gmade stamped steel beadlocks.

Stock body or cut? Might have issues getting canyons to fit at they are really wide, its the height and the wheel arches that wont clear. Even a class 0 1.9 will rub a bit. If body is no concern and you dont mind a bit of rub.
There's loads of choice its a matter of looks vs performance.
I don't mind some rub, and im keen on good performance, regardless of tire get some good foams tuned to your truck, the elements quite light so might get away without 2 stage, as you add weight tho they make a big difference.

15 minutes ago, Redback said:

Its not just the quality of the tire / tread its the rubber compound that sets them apart.
This is also just one aspect as good tires and rubbish foams result in poor performance due to lack of control of the tire.
Thus i would also be looking at 2 stage and single stage foams or 3d printed not foams or similar of your serious about getting the most from your crawler.
A good / best all rounder imo is the ProLine Flat Iron g8 compound, that being said they are big, so you might be better looking at the class 0 or 1 tires as they come in at 98mm tall.
I see most top end comp people using the BF Goodrich Krawler for the solid side lugs and deep tread, as these wear down on the rocks the traction actually improves and they look the part as its what most the real rock crawler use.
The traxxas 1.9 canyon tires from traxxas are very good as they rubber compound is spot on, the foams however are the worst and 2 stage foams transform them into an amazing tire.
Single stage in the rear for stability and stop the tires bottoming out on climbs and 2 stage in the front to allow them to still hook.

Thanks that really interesting.

The Enduro is overdriven 5 point something percent at the mo. Does this make a difference to tyre and foam choices?

18 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

Thanks that really interesting.

The Enduro is overdriven 5 point something percent at the mo. Does this make a difference to tyre and foam choices?

I wouldnt say so, The overdrive will help a bit with sidewall rolling when climbing but it will also pull the truck down, thus the more the tires will deform with soft foams. Reducing the gearing.
The big benefit of 2 stage and hard foams is the ability to pinch the tires into places, like steep v notches that really make use of the sidewalls and push the truck up things not possible with hairbuns or normal foams

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

i have some swamper clones that are 112mm diameter not a bad tyre, yours if ya want them

For the element I’m going shiny new wheels, tyres, and shell just because??
but…
Would you say they were better than the stock Carisma tyres? If they are an improvement I could put em on Cowboy Bobs rig.

How much do you want for them?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Redback said:

Stock body or cut? Might have issues getting canyons to fit at they are really wide, its the height and the wheel arches that wont clear. Even a class 0 1.9 will rub a bit. If body is no concern and you dont mind a bit of rub.
There's loads of choice its a matter of looks vs performance.
I don't mind some rub, and im keen on good performance, regardless of tire get some good foams tuned to your truck, the elements quite light so might get away without 2 stage, as you add weight tho they make a big difference.

I don’t think I’d get away with 1.9’s on the stock body without some drastic cutting.

Not very keen on it anyway.

Thinking of replacing it with this…

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/pro-line-1993-ford-ranger-clear-body-set-for-313mm-wb-crawler-1335550

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

For the element I’m going shiny new wheels, tyres, and shell just because??
but…
Would you say they were better than the stock Carisma tyres? If they are an improvement I could put em on Cowboy Bobs rig.

How much do you want for them?

you can have them just cover postage but if you have carisma AT tyres then no not better, the carisma are pretty good

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

you can have them just cover postage but if you have carisma AT tyres then no not better, the carisma are pretty good

That’s really nice of you Jules. Far too generous. If I were in need of them, I’d take you up on it, but as it stands I’d just be taking advantage of “free stuff” for the sake of it. Thanks anyway though, the thought is appreciated 👍

The tyres on Bobs rig are original equipment from the first generation kit. Probably not great tyres but I have nothing to compare them to. To me they seem to just get better as they get more worn (although they are a bit **** on wet rocks).

It’s my birthday soon, so I pretty much have a free pass to spend some money on fettling the Element without getting a hard time about my “expensive toys” from my ever patient Mrs.

I just never realise HOW MANY different tyres there are! And they all claim to be super grippy blah blah blah. 
All a bit baffling.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

That’s really nice of you Jules. Far too generous. If I were in need of them, I’d take you up on it, but as it stands I’d just be taking advantage of “free stuff” for the sake of it. Thanks anyway though, the thought is appreciated 👍

The tyres on Bobs rig are original equipment from the first generation kit. Probably not great tyres but I have nothing to compare them to. To me they seem to just get better as they get more worn (although they are a bit **** on wet rocks).

It’s my birthday soon, so I pretty much have a free pass to spend some money on fettling the Element without getting a hard time about my “expensive toys” from my ever patient Mrs.

I just never realise HOW MANY different tyres there are! And they all claim to be super grippy blah blah blah. 
All a bit baffling.

they are there if you want them as i have 2 sets, the newer carisma tyres i find pretty good , we will have to get together for a run some place

6 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

@RedbackSo, in your opinion, would you say this lot would make a good combination?

FDE68A13-9008-4FAA-82C7-FC3A6EF73655.png

Yes, Just be ware the single stage are a bit small for the xl tires, they flop about a little thus i use the single stages at the front for the those tires, you might just be the same off having 2 sets of 2 stage that will fill the tires out completely.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Redback said:

Yes, Just be ware the single stage are a bit small for the xl tires, they flop about a little thus i use the single stages at the front for the those tires, you might just be the same off having 2 sets of 2 stage that will fill the tires out completely.

Thanks, but now I’m confused (it’s not hard to confuse me).🤣

Both types say they fit the flat iron XL, and both say they are 105mm diameter.

I thought that was odd, as the tyres are 120mm, but figured, taking into account the depth of the tread, the internal diameter probably is about 105mm(??) but if so, and if both foams are the same diameter, why would the single stage flop about? Maybe because the single stage have a curved profile and the dual stage have a squared off profile? 
Not questioning what you are saying but it is confusing.

5 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

Thanks, but now I’m confused (it’s not hard to confuse me).🤣

Both types say they fit the flat iron XL, and both say they are 105mm diameter.

I thought that was odd, as the tyres are 120mm, but figured, taking into account the depth of the tread, the internal diameter probably is about 105mm(??) but if so, and if both foams are the same diameter, why would the single stage flop about? Maybe because the single stage have a curved profile and the dual stage have a squared off profile? 
Not questioning what you are saying but it is confusing.

Yeah i dont quite understand why the single stage are undersized, thus why i would have opted for the 2 stage that fit perfect.
Dont get me wrong the single stage still work and work great, i just dont like the floppyness of the tire over the foam, doesnt feel right.
Same applies for the single stage in traxxas canyons, they are also a bit too tall and wide for single stage but they work none the less.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1