• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Question about rear steering.

Oh How Original

Not sure if any of you will know this, but I'm wondering if it's possible to turn on/off rear steering.

Imagine for example, you want to drive along normally, with the rear servo set to centre and told not to move.

Then flick a switch and it comes alive doing the opposite of the front.

Flick the switch again and it returns to centre.

Is this possible?

I have a DX4C, so my spare buttons are 2 or 3 position and I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible?

If you used a y cable meaning that servos at each end would to the opposite to each other due to direct could you then use a simple switch in line with the rear servo that in essence allows you to turn power to it on and off? The only issue I see is that it would remain it whatever position it was left when it is turned off. I mean this type of switch 222872097263 (eBay item number)

Edited by norcoforever

5 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Not sure if any of you will know this, but I'm wondering if it's possible to turn on/off rear steering.

Imagine for example, you want to drive along normally, with the rear servo set to centre and told not to move.

Then flick a switch and it comes alive doing the opposite of the front.

Flick the switch again and it returns to centre.

Is this possible?

I have a DX4C, so my spare buttons are 2 or 3 position and I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible?

If each steering servo is plugged into a separate channel, you can set up a switchable steering mix assigned to the switch of your choice. This is how I have the 4WS set up on my WR-01 and G6-01.

2 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

If each steering servo is plugged into a separate channel, you can set up a switchable steering mix assigned to the switch of your choice. This is how I have the 4WS set up on my WR-01 and G6-01.

What he said.

I used to have that setup on my first crawler (that become my Bronco scaler). Could enable/disable the RWS at the push of a button. Plus you had the ability to enable/disable "crab" mode... for all the good that did!

I have a 3-way toggle on my TXT-2, on a separate servo on the rears.

It works but unless the suspension's tight and well-centred, it can look like it's 'crabbing' slightly.

Fun for a while, but often revert to simply steering with the front's.

Al.

Cheers chaps... I really must look into channel mixing too... Interestingly, in the 1:1 world, crabbing can get you out of a lot of situations... I was hoping the project in question was arriving today, but just had the post and it hasn't, so it'll probably be Monday now.

Long way to go yet, but it gives me time to research and learn about it.