• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Desert Fox Owners Thread

47 minutes ago, RCbutcher said:

Was everything must go i hope they not closing the uk warehouse.

I remember reading that they're just clearing out some old stock ready for some new arrivals in time for Sping/Summer - no need to panic just yet :) 

Just pulled out the servo to check it out. Not that bad a servo.really.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-tgy-4409md-ds-mg-servo-9-45kg-0-11sec-44g.html

Compared it to a similar spec Alturn low profile but the Alturn seems faster. Will see if a regular size servo will fit.

John

Edited by johninderby

Fitted a 1501MG full size servo. Nearly twice the power and waterproof and has more travel. While the stock low profile servo is usable want to see how much of an improvement the new one is.  :017:

Also fitted a twin cooling fan unit to the motor. Had it in the spares box so why not and it can’t hurt. :yes:

John

5_CDB82_B8-94_D2-4_B05-_B220-_B0_D1_CB77

BBA9_A966-_BAB4-4388-8_FC4-3_C967_C20_A5

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johninderby said:

Fitted a 1501MG full size servo. Nearly twice the power and waterproof and has more travel. While the stock low profile servo is usable want to see how much of an improvement the new one is.  :017:

Also fitted a twin cooling fan unit to the motor. Had it in the spares box so why not and it can’t hurt. :yes:

John

5_CDB82_B8-94_D2-4_B05-_B220-_B0_D1_CB77

BBA9_A966-_BAB4-4388-8_FC4-3_C967_C20_A5

Is the fan as a precaution or does it need it , good to know the servo is strong enough , on your cogging test the esc looked like it lags a little or was it just me .

The fan is a precaution and may not be needed but cheap brushless motors tend to run hot.

For a sensorless  brushless system cogging is very minimal. Minor cogging when trying to start off very slowly but no problem with normal starts. I was impressed with how little cogging there was..

john

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The fan is a precaution and may not be needed but cheap brushless motors tend to run hot.

For a sensorless  brushless system cogging is very minimal. Minor cogging when trying to start off very slowly but no problem with normal starts. I was impressed with how little cogging there was..

john

I will keep an eye on the temps when I get chance to run it , are you going to use the original tx/Rx combo as I use a Dx4s , so might replace if it can be calibrated easy enough , think I need to get the manual out lol.

31 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Parcelforce driver was late today. Didn’t knock on my door till 7:00am. :D

Couple of spare body body sets for the Fox.

4_F61_D3_C7-2288-4741-9_E4_D-_E451_B5558

I wish my postie would come that early , still only one in stock and nothing I need to get the free postage :ack:.

it would be really nice if parcel force would deliver mine, they were kind enough to take my money for 24hr delivery and send me a message saying it would be delivered on or by the 6/3, its been prepared for delivery on both the 6 and 7, its now the 8! arghhhh and am due another delivery off hobbyking, prob be 2025 for that

Edited by just rolling
wrong dates

I'm now in the habit of checking HobbyKing everyday, They often drop the price on a car or kit for no particular reason, The Sabertooth ARR was only £155  a couple months ago for a time .

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Does fitting the tyres from a Mad Bull make this a Mad Fox???    :D

Just thought I’d see what it looked like with wider tyres. Not intending to leave them on but might try seeing how it runs with them.

John

8_F9_AD850-_D8_FF-407_C-88_DA-6_BE31342_

You read my mind John , was going to look for a set in my spares see if there were anything that would look good a run well , looks well planted with those on :rc_car:.

WOW these tyres are staying. So much more grip on grass as well as better handling.  :yes:

The Mad Bull / Lunch box tyres are 110mm tall compared to the stock 105mm so close enough to not need a pinion change. With the increased grip there was a bit more cogging when starting off but still not enough to be a problem. I fitted the tyres to Tamiya 2.2 inch wheels which gives them a flatter profile compared to stock Mad Bull 2.0 inch wheels.The new servo does improve the turning radius. 

So far just bits from the spares box used so keeping this a cheap and cheerful project. :thumbsup:

John

Mad Fox

E0_A3998_C-_CAE0-4_D4_C-_BE7_B-_D6051_AA

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Mine arrived plus a lot of bits, put some red springs on which i also got from hobbyking, fitted a 17t pinion and a bit of a check over, weird lag on braking with esc but the thing handles great. Comes with bearings oil shocks metal drive shafts etc etc, its great, also got the carbon chassis they had in sale which looks like it will fit and shorten it to the length of a vantage buggy / banzai drift car, just as well i bought a spare to fiddle with

55 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Can’t wait to see some posts of what others have done to their Desert Foxes..

Wish I had bought an extra one to play around with or just use for spares.

John

Thought I had some spare wheels , looked everywhere with nothing to be found :ack: , are you going to be painting the half men inside the cage , not sure whether it would make a good look or stand out like a sore thumb .

Got a spare one to use the esc motor and radio gear in other truck and truck etc as spares, removed the weird drivers and the wheel, not fitted spoiler either. Most of it looks to be the same as the front of a ftx outlaw, also similar bits to a ftx banzai so there should be a lot of options for it

Wonder if could fit the drivers from an Outlaw ?   Don’t want to paint the stock drivers as they are a bit rubbish and don’t want to draw attention to them.

Have the 3D print files for the front suspension arms and the knuckles so covered for the most likely breakages. 

John

Edited by johninderby

Greased the front and rear diffs...not internals, managed to get a little more oil into shocks but they were almost full, greased the axles, fitted a castle sct3800 system. Now have my esc mounted at front on the middle chassis brace thing, receiver also behind it, leaves a nice big gap now in front of the motor for more cooling, should bloody fly now..........also had to patch up my front diff on a ftx outlaw and they seem the same front end

Edited by just rolling

Just ordered two of the Tamiya buggy drivers and will fasten them onto a piece of black plasticard. Should be easier to fit than the Outlaw part. Got the last two from Tonystamiyaparts but availableat MS etc.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-buggy-driver-figure-set/rc-car-products/390717

Edited by johninderby