• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread

johninderby

1 hour ago, c4llum83 said:

Out and about getting the Mando Mauler's wheels wet for the first time.. 

Looking good mate 👍

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Looks great in its natural habitat :good:

Thanks all. The Hobbywing 1080 and the ftx parts have now arrived for making it 4 wheel steer, just waiting for the flysky fs-gt5 transmitter/receiver to arrive from China via AliExpress... 

Also wondering whether to upgrade the stock 20T motor to a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 21T seeing as so many people rate it...

• Like 1

On 17/05/2022 at 19:20, Shergar said:

Theres a really good holmes hobbies video for setting up the 1080 on youtube. 

Thanks…. Only just saw this by chance (I don’t have a Mauler) and I plan to set up a 1080 tonight. 
👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Trunkle said:

If you can't wait for the slow boat from china , look whats back in stock 👍

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-mauler-optional-receiver-for-seperate-esc-use-not-2-in1--422676

Lol yeh saw that but decided not to spend twice just to avoid waiting a few days. Controller is guaranteed delivery by 8 June. Got my mate (and YouTube guides) to help me figure all this lot out for the 4WS setup at some point -  might as well do it all at once!

Then when the stock motor packs up I'll replace with a HH. I've asked Red Winches their UK stockist for some advice on whether 21T Trailmaster is the best choice... The Crawlmaster / Trailmaster range and turn/torque/speed variety etc is a little confusing! 

PXL_20220521_190150998.jpg

Edited by c4llum83

13 minutes ago, Shergar said:

And I prefer the Trailmaster 😁 Either is good, I have tried both and have one of each in two similar trucks running your transmission!

I want to be able to get some good strong slow crawling in, but also open up the throttle on the open beach with the family and bomb around a bit at speed - nothing crazy quick obviously, just have some fast fun with it occasionally... Appreciate there's always a compromise but trying to find that sweet spot for the mauler... 

How would you say both crawlmaster and trailmaster compare in terms of crawling v speed? 

Edited by c4llum83
  • Like 1

Im using a trailmaster in my dc1 and there is a noticeable speed increase and better crawling than my sons dc1 with a generic motor 

I also have a crawlmaster motor but not used it yet as its awaiting 1 of the trx,s motors to pack in

But Shergars the man to ask as he runs both motors 

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, c4llum83 said:

How would you say both crawlmaster and trailmaster compare in terms of crawling v speed? 

I’d say they are as quick as each other! Crawlmaster is super smooth low speed, Trailmaster has a better drag brake. I like a full 100% drag brake on a low turn 45+ turn motor, however on a low turn 21/27 turn motor it will hurt the gearbox when you (effectively) near enough stop itself  dead if you come on the throttle sharpish! You can have fun trying the 1080 programmer with different settings (and a hill!).

Go for the crawlmaster this time round 👍  Read through the Homles advice, the Mauler gearbox and ratios is effectively an Axial AX10 copy so take the gearing advice on his site too, buy a RW pinion and a spare spur FTX gear off someone like Modelsport too.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

4DA7EDCF-A32C-4791-8191-3D6EFDD6B3EC.thumb.jpeg.1cb62c660105155acf7f919705ba3f1e.jpeg

If your beach running a set of rubber shielded bearings might be a good service part, the 2 gearbox to propshaft outputs and each axle propshaft output seem to go first.

https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2182

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/05/2022 at 23:36, Shergar said:

I’d say they are as quick as each other! Crawlmaster is super smooth low speed, Trailmaster has a better drag brake. I like a full 100% drag brake on a low turn 45+ turn motor, however on a low turn 21/27 turn motor it will hurt the gearbox when you (effectively) near enough stop itself  dead if you come on the throttle sharpish! You can have fun trying the 1080 programmer with different settings (and a hill!).

Go for the crawlmaster this time round 👍  Read through the Homles advice, the Mauler gearbox and ratios is effectively an Axial AX10 copy so take the gearing advice on his site too, buy a RW pinion and a spare spur FTX gear off someone like Modelsport too.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

4DA7EDCF-A32C-4791-8191-3D6EFDD6B3EC.thumb.jpeg.1cb62c660105155acf7f919705ba3f1e.jpeg

If your beach running a set of rubber shielded bearings might be a good service part, the 2 gearbox to propshaft outputs and each axle propshaft output seem to go first.

https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2182

Thanks mate that's really useful! Of course there's so many options and a lot of it comes down to personal preference over time trying different combinations

I just heard back from the really helpful Neil at Red Winches who said:

"The 21T 550 Trailmaster sport is the ideal motor for your Mauler, I would go for the Trailmaster over the Crawlmaster as it will give more drag brake which you will find beneficial with the weight of the Mauler."

So... Ordered TrailMaster 21T from Modelsport (Red Winches recommended as they were out of stock) so will look forward to putting it to the test!

Screenshot_20220523-145552~2.png

Edited by c4llum83

Holiday fun on the beach, until I think saltwater got into the motor, esc or one of the connections and now lost drive. Cleaned and lubricated but still no luck. Doh! .... Lucky I got new motor, esc and receiver to go in it when I get home...

PXL_20220529_145051065.jpg

PXL_20220528_132959645.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all, I’m a complete newbie to this game. 

bought myself the mauler last week and love it, looked to upgrade straight away and got a basket of a few bits. Are these the right for the mauler and do you recommend anything else? 

thanks Steve 

ECC2CED7-2F5C-4E99-B04A-38095734FED7.png

• Like 2

It might be a good idea to get some all metal diffs for it, the plastic ones dont seem to last long 😀

• 9 months later...

Evening all, 

My lads mauler is killing center drive shafts,  running stock with hsp diff gears, 1080 esc and a 2s lipo.

Stock shafts, after market ones none seem to last more then a pack or two.  My lads only 7 and ita frustrating he can run it around the garden with out center shaft issues. 

Does any one have any bullet proof shafts that will fit?

Hi @thesnake505, in what way is it killing the driveshafts ?, my mauler has the hsp diffs, traxxass rx, tx, and esc and the stock propshafts and never broken one, even when used with 2s

The only problem ive had was it kept destroying the osf axle end casing and steering hub, and bending the axle driveshaft, which was due to the super grippy deepwoods tyres on it. I fitted different tyres and have had no breakages since