• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread

johninderby

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Further thoughts on the Mauler after playing with it a bit more.

Think of it as an Improved Scout that crawls great right out of the box but unlike the Scout doesn't need a lot of mods. Has great development potential and in particular a great adjustable chassis that is way better than an SCX10 chassis. Great tyres as well that don't need replacing.

So you could buy one and keep it stock and enjoy crawling with it as is but rather than then buying A more expensive crawler you could upgrade it a bit at a time rather than having to lay out a big wad of cash all at once. It's that potential that is the strong point of the Mauler. Fit Axial axles, upgrade the spur gear and pinion to Traxxas ones, fit metal driveshafts and upgrade the shocks. Then of course there's motor and ESC options. 

Hmmmm just happen to have a set of Axial axles and all the other bits. Perhaps I should do the full set of upgrades just to show the potential. :017:

John

all good then John, wonder how it would look with a savage size shell, maybe a f150 truck

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Just thinking the same thing myself. :D

Will have see what shells will fit.

John

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-1979-ford-f-150-body/rc-car-products/363681 am thinking maybe 1 of these in blue metalic for the old bigfoot kinda look, i have not cracked yet and ordered them but some rc use today then al be hyper and prob want bloody more

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Ha ha. Have that shell already on my Bigfoot replica. Will have to feel it up and see what it looks like. :thumbsup:

John

good man, i have the same but smaller on my 2wd stampede and the longer version on my losi xxle, great shell

26 minutes ago, johninderby said:

HPI  1979 Ford shell sitting on top of the Mauler chassis

IMG_1566.jpg

Removed the front hinge from the shell that the shell pivots open on. Was just a real pain as got in the way when open and made it difficult to get the shell down onto the body posts when closing it up. 

IMG_1571.jpg

John that is bloody great, am popping to local model  shop and i do hope they dont have these in stock as i have no bloody space 

Great :thumbsup:

Will be good to hear your opinion. Thing I like best is it's upgradability. Thinking about doing the full upgrade to mine although pleased with it as is but have all the parts so cost is zero to me and would perhaps be of use to those that might want to upgrade. :017:

John

Edited by johninderby

I have an RC4WD two speed transmission available. Hmmm.....rock racer perhaps.  :017:

Think you might have to change the axles etc for that motor.  :mf_laughbounce:

First mod I would suggest is getting rid of the body hinge st the front and reaming out the body mount holes in the shell slightly. Body on mine just fits on so much easier now. With the stock hinge it was really difficult to align the mounting holes in the shell with the posts. 

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I have an RC4WD two speed transmission available. Hmmm.....rock racer perhaps.  :017:

Think you might have to change the axles etc for that motor.  :mf_laughbounce:

First mod I would suggest is getting rid of the body hinge st the front and reaming out the body mount holes in the shell slightly. Body on mine just fits on so much easier now. With the stock hinge it was really difficult to align the mounting holes in the shell with the posts. 

John

Thanks, that body mount would have to go, the yeti XL does my head in with not being able to remove the body completely. Have you dropped a diff out yet? I've seen pics of both plastic and  alloy diffs. Was wondering what's in it. 

• Like 1

As far as I know metal gears in the diff with a plastic locker. All aluminium diffs available but at 28 quid not worth it. Rather go for the Axial axles. 

Will remove an axle and check the internals tomorrow.

Flip up bodies work on a small RC but just get too clumsy on anything bigger. The Yeti Jr I just sold had the flip,up,body and it actually worked as the body was so,light.

John

Edited by johninderby

Doing some nosing around and it would seem it's actually and rgt rock hammer rebranded as ftx. Biggest notable change is that the rgt comes with a proper esc and Rx as separates. Other than that l, looking the rock hammer vids on YouTube it seems quite capable. ?

I found it was very capable indeed even completely stock.

Just been offering up the Axial axles to the chassis and they will be a perfect fit.   :thumbsup:  So it looks like I'll be fitting the new axles. 95mm Absima shocks will fit OK as well. Will have to get some steel,driveshafts. Have some steel driveshafts but they're just a bit too short. :ack:

As mentioned happy with the performance stock but can't help wondering how much upgrading the driveline will improve it.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1