• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread

johninderby

13 hours ago, Crawl.and.Explore said:

Hi, So has anyone found any other shells that fit these. I was looking at Outbacks because I want to crawl but with realistic scale looks. Although these look like better crawlers but I’d want a realistic scale truck body on it...

Nothing seems to be a direct fit, even John's F-series body is not a straight forwards fit. The main issue seems to be the 350mm wheel base. Most 1/10 shells are designed to fit 280-310 wheelbase cars. Another thing to consider is the 2.2 tyres are huge compared to the 1.9 tyres and will make it look less ''scale".

Here's a good example of fitting 2.2's to a vehicle that has 1.9's stock http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/6130

Fitting massive tyres (40"+) on a full sized vehicle requires huge amounts of modification. For a good crawler you need to keep the COG low so lots of body work trimming, stretching the wheelbase and as little suspension lift as possible are typically the way it's done. Relying on the huge tyres instead of suspension lift to give you the ground clearance.

A couple of real world examples

39322475515_254046ed49_c.jpg

26347883018_3542414c81_z.jpg

Compared to a Wraith which also has a 350mm ish wheelbase

26347882888_00f028e3fb_c.jpg

As you can tell by position of the wheel arches the Wraith essentially has a 1/10 300mm ish wheelbase shell.

With the right shell and plenty trimming there's no reason you couldn't fit a 1/10 shell but it will still look like a heavily modified rig rather than a lightly modded or stock rig. 

Edited by OllieNZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes the non standard Mauler wheelbase does make it a pain to find a properly fitting body.. As I’ve gone for a 1/8 body the stock tyres don’t look too big but on a 1/10 something a bit smaller will look better if you want a scaler rather than a monster truck.

John

Edited by johninderby

I picked up a battered Axial body off ebay to experiment on changing the look.

At the moment I`m trying to find longer body posts to move forward.

As a separate question to those who have changed the ESC and receiver, has it been a straight forward swap..mainly regarding the connections for the lights etc.

Did you just unplug from the existing and plug into the new...?

IMG_20180209_100705014.jpg

IMG_20180209_100712769.jpg

Just now, johninderby said:

Yes just plug the lights into a spare channel in the receiver. It’s all just plugging in the new bits. Only thing you might have to do is change the battery connector on either the ESC or battery..

Thanks for that...I was hopeful it would be straight forward

These body posts will fit the stock brackets if you drill out the holes about 1/2mm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAVERICK-MV22417-BODY-POSTS-x4-SC-CHASSIS-PARTS-NEW-GENUINE-PART/381685549677?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

After a bit more thought have decided to go with a shorter 2.2” tyre. 125mm vs 139mm.

B39704_D4-2429-4_EBF-88_E8-3_A285354_E92

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8658b9321af989be48dcd271aae1c477.jpg

just been for a walk up a few trails. First proper outing with new servo, driveshafts, motor and bumper brought back a bit. Absolute dream now. Slowly but surely new bits to add and it’s exciting times. Goes up old quarry sides with ease. The only thing bugging me now is the colour, hence the mud will stay on the body! Otherwise it’s a bath all around cos as expected I did end up sliding half way down a hill on mi bum

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kev T said:

As a separate question to those who have changed the ESC and receiver, has it been a straight forward swap..mainly regarding the connections for the lights etc.

Did you just unplug from the existing and plug into the new...?

The standard servo wouldn't plug into my receiver as the standard servo had a little lip on the side of the plug that stopped me plugging in it
I could have broken that part off the plug and got it fitted but since i wasn't a fan of the standard servo i swapped it as well with no issues.

6 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

I've just measured and the maximum length of motor that can be fitted is 64mm.

Thanks Ollie. I fitted a 550 to it the other day there. Much better now.

• Like 1

So it’s not great and not complete but I’ve tried to change my colour scheme up a bit. (My painting skills are non existent so please excuse the smudging). I know it’s gonna chip off when damaged but I like It better than I did to start with. 5be64f612bbad8d764243c5f11851eed.jpg drivers helmets are sharpie coloured as I don’t have the painting technique for anything that small. Just waiting for my payday and I’m after some new wheels and tyres. Any recommendations on that front ? Also Swapping out the esc receiver as I think I’ve already buggered it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, richardmwaller said:

Hi guys,

My son and I are new to the RC world. We have just ordered our FTX Mauler having been playing with a colt for 6 months we are really enjoying it. I’ve read this forum front to back several times about upgrades etc and would like to think we will tinker with one or two. I’m sure we will be back to ask daft questions soon but I just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed as it really helped us decide what to buy etc.

Thanks

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I think you'll find this a great step into the world of Crawling...I'm new to this myself and enjoyed messing with the car & the Maulers 2.2 wheels make quite the difference I noticed compared to the Axial Scx10 I later bought.

I like the Crawlers because you can set a course up in the garden and trail whenever you fancy...something faster tends to mean a trip with more space somewhere else. 

Enjoy.

Having a lot of fun with this now and despite a lot of abuse, no breakages!

Current mods
Great Planes S-600 19t 550 motor with 3 degrees advanced timing
Power HD 20KG servo
Alloy servo horn
Hobbywing 1060 ESC
Turnigy 5A BEC (conformal coated)
Orange 3 channel receiver (conformal coated)
All running off a 3s Lipo

Took a kicking all day. Lots of small jumps, hill climbs, wheelies, donuts etc.
Motor got a bit toasty towards the end of the hill climbs and servo stopped responding after about 1 hour so will need to see what's what.

Going to pop in a Hobbywing 1080 ESC instead and swap out the servo if it's still playing up and maybe go to a Great Planes T-600 motor (22t instead of 19t) for a bit more torque & less heat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so we bought the mauler and it was going great but after a week the front wheels have lost their drive. 

The front diff is still locked and the wheels turn if I spin the axle so I’m guessing it’s the drive train box thingy me bob in the middle. Is this something that’s common I can fix or does it need replacing or Am I looking to return as faulty. 

Cheers for the advice, and be gentle as we are new to the rc  world. 

56 minutes ago, richardmwaller said:

Ok, so we bought the mauler and it was going great but after a week the front wheels have lost their drive. 

The front diff is still locked and the wheels turn if I spin the axle so I’m guessing it’s the drive train box thingy me bob in the middle. Is this something that’s common I can fix or does it need replacing or Am I looking to return as faulty. 

Check the grub screws in the front drive shaft

I enjoyed the short time I had with my Mauler, but the ESC/RX combo died after just 14 minutes.

The intention was to put proper electrics in it anyway, but this is forcing me to do so sooner than I wanted, but not worth a warranty claim.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2018 at 13:16, Kev T said:

Has anyone tried to fit a spare wheel on the back....something I`d like to do at some point

Hi, new to the forum. Glad i found it. ?

I have added a wheel to the back. Zip ties and paracord helped. Will post some photos soon. 

Cheers! 

K

• Like 1

On 14/06/2018 at 20:37, richardmwaller said:

Hi,

It is also worth taking the axle apart and checking the hub. The metal gear has plastic axle holding slots that are not quite suited for the power of this rig. They crack, depriving the wheels of power. A weak link on this  marvellous machine. Happened to one side of my rear set and it was a pain. Replaced it and now all is well. 

Cheers! 

K

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hardcore said:

That looks awesome! 
Did you find you get more steering angle with the different axles?

I think they offer greater angle but I've not measured to be able to quantify, it does seem to be turning sharper though. They are also 10-20mm wider than stock too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

I think they offer greater angle but I've not measured to be able to quantify, it does seem to be turning sharper though. They are also 10-20mm wider than stock too. 

You've got me wondering now! 
I wonder if these would fit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Alloy-Front-Rear-Axle-Part-For-1-10-RC-Crawler-AXIAL-Wraith-90018-Car/382014781746?epid=702094196&hash=item58f1daf932:g:CpoAAOSwWxNY1G-7

On 09/07/2018 at 23:10, Hardcore said:

They should fit but you'll either have to flip the axles or gearbox so the outputs/inputs line up. I also had to flip the servo mounts to stick the servo further forwards otherwise it contacted the top links preventing full droop and the chassis preventing compression. 

These are the type I bought, if you've never used AliExpress before don't be worried about it they run buyer protection like ebay, just make sure you use a tracked shipping method (you can upgrade for a couple quid if the seller doesn't offer it standard)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-10-Rc-Car-Aluminium-Alloy-Front-And-Rear-Axle-Wraith-CNC-Machined-for-1-10/32847744464.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.5.651b3debeAjax7&scm=1007.13338.98644.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.98644.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.98644.000000000000000&pvid=ce62a702-87f0-4836-adbd-010b1be172fb&_t=pvid:ce62a702-87f0-4836-adbd-010b1be172fb,scm-url:1007.13338.98644.000000000000000

• Like 1