• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread

johninderby

14 hours ago, Kev T said:

Sorry, I can't answer your questions but as you've got a good selection of Axial rigs I figure you'll get a good idea once it arrives.

I'm wondering if its possible to convert the Mauler to a Wraith ... the Wraiths wheels seem to stand a little more forward.

It's an illusion caused by using a shorter body. Losing the front bumper and fitting a 1/10 body with the rear arches roughly in the right place for the rear wheels will give the same effect.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 14:12, just rolling said:

its great, i put a old f150 savage shell onto it and its great, got the ftx diff lock blocks to fit to the rear diff and maybe middle, i love monster trucks and its super value and shares alot of parts with other ftx vehicles so all good, pretty sure its mostly the rear end off the outlaw both front and back

How well does the Thunder do compared to the Mauler at climbing? I imagine that the Mauler would out perform it but then the Mauler cant possibly keep up with its pace when not crawling.

16 hours ago, Nickarla said:

How well does the Thunder do compared to the Mauler at climbing? I imagine that the Mauler would out perform it but then the Mauler cant possibly keep up with its pace when not crawling.

mauler much much better for climbing, mighty thunder much faster than mauler, mighty thunder a lot lighter so better run times

• Thanks 1

My Mauler just arrived today.
Not had a chance to run it properly but after a few observations had some questions.

What's the largest pinion gear that can be fitted with the standard spur and also the smallest pinion with the standard spur?

I also noticed the standard steering angle is quite poor. Has anyone tried grinding off the little bits of plastic that stick out of the steering knuckles that make contact on full steering?

Plans so far are to fit a waterproof Power HD 20Kg servo
Hobbywing 1060 ESC with BEC
35t motor on 3s
Remove stickers
Grind down plastic restrictions on steering knuckles
Lighter shock oil

Plans later might include (will see how i get on initially)
Axial AX10 axles with alloy Chubs, lockouts and Knuckles
Open diffs
Upgraded drive shafts
3400kv brushless motor
Axial AX10 trans and skid with metal gears

You will get plenty of steering travel just by fitting a new servo. No need to grind anything off the knuckles. Stock servo is utter rubbish. 

Mauler chassis with AX10 axles with alloy bits and beef tubes, steel driveshafts, Absima shocks,  carbon fibre links to lengthen wheelbase for new pickup body. Sensored brushless motor and Hobbywing ESC about to go in. Have a two speed trans that I might fit later on.

John

A8_B61_CDD-166_E-4189-9_A1_C-5_EC0957430

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, just rolling said:

just fitted a hobbywing 1080 esc to mine, comes with a programme card so lots of tuning options, may get out later to try it

Be interested to hear what you think and what kind of actual difference you notice

6 hours ago, Kev T said:

Be interested to hear what you think and what kind of actual difference you notice

not had a chance to try it yet, a lot of different settings on it, i had the mauler out last sun all stock and it kept cutting out on long very steep climbs, i think the truck could of done the climbs but the stock esc let it down

I took mines out today for it's maiden voyage.
All in all, not too bad at all. 
Really good performance out the box for the price. I ran it all stock except from a 4000mah 2s lipo.

Got home after playing around and popped the following in so far

PowerHD 20KG servo
Hobbywing 1060 ESC
Turnigy 6v 5A BEC
Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 21t 550 motor

All in all much better to drive. Low speed control is much smoother even with the same 14t pinion. Much more torque as well. Lost a little wheel speed on 2s but since i'll be running 3s it should even out.
Steering end point to end point not a problem now even on carpet.

• Like 2

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:49, Hardcore said:

I took mines out today for it's maiden voyage.
All in all, not too bad at all. 
Really good performance out the box for the price. I ran it all stock except from a 4000mah 2s lipo.

Got home after playing around and popped the following in so far

PowerHD 20KG servo
Hobbywing 1060 ESC
Turnigy 6v 5A BEC
Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 21t 550 motor

All in all much better to drive. Low speed control is much smoother even with the same 14t pinion. Much more torque as well. Lost a little wheel speed on 2s but since i'll be running 3s it should even out.
Steering end point to end point not a problem now even on carpet.

ran mine today with new servo and a hobbywing 1080 on 3s, running 10% drag brake and only 75% forward power 50% rear, great run time and much improved, i have the hobbywing 1060 in other trucks but the 1080 deffo seems worth the extra coming with a programme card

6 hours ago, just rolling said:

ran mine today with new servo and a hobbywing 1080 on 3s, running 10% drag brake and only 75% forward power 50% rear, great run time and much improved, i have the hobbywing 1060 in other trucks but the 1080 deffo seems worth the extra coming with a programme card

Deffo i agree. I only popped in the 1060 with the added BEC as it was sitting there unused from when i used to run it in another truck. I've 3 1080's just now. 1 in use, 1 for future project and one that i blew the capacitor on that i need to repair.

Were you using the stock motor on 3s?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardcore said:

Deffo i agree. I only popped in the 1060 with the added BEC as it was sitting there unused from when i used to run it in another truck. I've 3 1080's just now. 1 in use, 1 for future project and one that i blew the capacitor on that i need to repair.

Were you using the stock motor on 3s?

yeah just stock motor as there cheap enough to replace, full throttle was crazy lol so turned it down to 75% forward power but only really use maybe 20% max as i just climb about with it, the 3s gives me a mega run time, i have a few models with the 1060 and the 1080 much better

.just looking at the trailmaster sport 21t, how u finding it? have a few models and kind of need spare basic motors

Edited by just rolling
question added
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, just rolling said:

yeah just stock motor as there cheap enough to replace, full throttle was crazy lol so turned it down to 75% forward power but only really use maybe 20% max as i just climb about with it, the 3s gives me a mega run time, i have a few models with the 1060 and the 1080 much better

.just looking at the trailmaster sport 21t, how u finding it? have a few models and kind of need spare basic motors

When i tested the Trailmaster Sport 21t 550 on 2s vs the stock motor it had much better slow speed control and much more torque. It lost some wheel speed at top end but it has a lot more kick on the bottom end.

Today was the first day i've ran it on 3s though. It's great. Runs cool with the stock pinion, good runtime and gobs of torque with enough wheelspin to throw up dirt on the hills.

• Like 2

Love seeing what you guys are doing with your maulers :good:

mine is still stock apart from servo!

i have a question,why do you need a bec?i raced 1/10 touring cars many years ago and we never used bec’s back then!

why now?

Also I am getting a hobbywing 1080 to put in mine,will I be able to use a Traxxas 3 cell 5000mah battery with that?

i use that battery in my trx4 and it has plenty of power and run time.

2 hours ago, Hardcore said:

When i tested the Trailmaster Sport 21t 550 on 2s vs the stock motor it had much better slow speed control and much more torque. It lost some wheel speed at top end but it has a lot more kick on the bottom end.

Today was the first day i've ran it on 3s though. It's great. Runs cool with the stock pinion, good runtime and gobs of torque with enough wheelspin to throw up dirt on the hills.

cool thank you, it should be cool for my trx tactical too for when that dies

21 minutes ago, bigdar44 said:

Love seeing what you guys are doing with your maulers :good:

mine is still stock apart from servo!

i have a question,why do you need a bec?i raced 1/10 touring cars many years ago and we never used bec’s back then!

why now?

Also I am getting a hobbywing 1080 to put in mine,will I be able to use a Traxxas 3 cell 5000mah battery with that?

i use that battery in my trx4 and it has plenty of power and run time.

The BEC that's built into most ESC's on RTR  is 5 volt output with about 1amp peak current.
When you add in higher torque servos the built in BEC starts to struggle and can even die and take out the ESC with it.
An external one like the cheap Turnigy one i have on mines is 5amp current so lots of juice for bigger stronger servos and it's 6v output as well.
Helps keep the ESC cool

The built in BEC on the Hobbywing 1080 is actually really good so no need for an external BEC on it. 3s 5000mah is what i use on most of my 1080's. Works great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hardcore said:

The BEC that's built into most ESC's on RTR  is 5 volt output with about 1amp peak current.
When you add in higher torque servos the built in BEC starts to struggle and can even die and take out the ESC with it.
An external one like the cheap Turnigy one i have on mines is 5amp current so lots of juice for bigger stronger servos and it's 6v output as well.
Helps keep the ESC cool

The built in BEC on the Hobbywing 1080 is actually really good so no need for an external BEC on it. 3s 5000mah is what i use on most of my 1080's. Works great

Thanks for that hardcore :good:cheers 

I've added some really old RC4WD alloy beadlocks now and some really old RC4WD Rock Crusher Tyres to try.
They're about the same height as standard, but the offset of the wheels is strange so they stick out a lot further.
The rubber doesn't feel as grippy but the foams are softer and more aggressive tread pattern.

Hope to get a video of it with the new wheels, tyres, motor etc shortly.