• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread

johninderby

The Outlaw has limited ground clearance and wheel travel compared to the Mauler particularily at the front. It’s basicly an on-road chassis that’s been converted into an off-roader and will easily get hung up in the middle trying to crawl over any real obstacles. 

John

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, johninderby said:

The Outlaw has limited ground clearance and wheel travel compared to the Mauler particularily at the front. It’s basicly an on-road chassis that’s been converted into an off-roader and will easily get hung up in the middle trying to crawl over any real obstacles. 

John

Not quite true ;) 

The outlaw and others like it are loosely based on Ultra4 racers which are dedicated offroad vehicles. The full size versions will go pretty much anywhere a dedicated crawler will but are much quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Off road does not mean crawle.

I wasn't particularly clear in my post sorry, but an Ultra4 car is kind of a hybrid between a crawler and a trophy truck. They can perform just as well if not better in the rocks than a crawler and are not far off a trophy truck speed wise. 

Unfortunately they've opted for speed in the RC versions without really giving the crawling aspect much thought. With appropriate gearing, a bit of attention to the suspension, tyres and weight distribution there's no reason you couldn't make an Outlaw crawl as well as a Mauler but taking both straight out of the box and using them, the Mauler will out crawl the Outlaw hands down.

22 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

I wasn't particularly clear in my post sorry, but an Ultra4 car is kind of a hybrid between a crawler and a trophy truck. They can perform just as well if not better in the rocks than a crawler and are not far off a trophy truck speed wise. 

Unfortunately they've opted for speed in the RC versions without really giving the crawling aspect much thought. With appropriate gearing, a bit of attention to the suspension, tyres and weight distribution there's no reason you couldn't make an Outlaw crawl as well as a Mauler but taking both straight out of the box and using them, the Mauler will out crawl the Outlaw hands down.

I'm very impressed by the Outlaws crawling ability in this Youtube video, especially with its open diffs. I would love to see this with the FTX diff lock blocks attached. From what I've seen the Outlaw gets a lot closer to what the Mauler can do than the Mauler gets to what the Outlaw can do.

1 hour ago, Nickarla said:

That's much better. I don't like the skull either. Will that paint come off when it rolls?

Thanks....I`m expecting it to scratch a bit when it rolls...but for now its fine.

I`m thinking of fabricating something out of Aluminium eventually .

Glowing review in this months RC Racer mag...so far I`ve changed the servo as previously mentioned but otherwise stock

I did use tennis racket tape around the Transmitter which has added a massive improvement to the comfort/feel of the grip.

IMG_20180125_100312965~2 (2).jpg

IMG_20180125_100326757~2 (2).jpg

Edited by Kev T
additional text
  • Like 1

Those that have actually got their hands on one as opposed to those who haven’t actually had a go with one do seem to be impressed by just how capable it is. :thumbsup:

One other free thing that’s worth doing is removing the front hinge on the body. Much easier to just drop the body on and of course no body to get in the way while working on it. 

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Those that have actually got their hands on one as opposed to those who haven’t actually had a go with one do seem to be impressed by just how capable it is. :thumbsup:

One other free thing that’s worth doing is removing the front hinge on the body. Much easier to just drop the body on and of course no body to get in the way while working on it. 

John

Absolutely....and first thing I did was remove that front hinge

Just bought one of these last week for my first rc. Absolutely love it, so much fun already and I’ve only run it 3 times! Done a quick flick on a some YouTube videos and stuff and not many have bad to say about this. I thought this seemed cheap to me compared to others but I can’t complain for the money. I’ve read a few bits am I right in thinking I have a few upgrade options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, I_amsambo said:

Just bought one of these last week for my first rc. Absolutely love it, so much fun already and I’ve only run it 3 times! Done a quick flick on a some YouTube videos and stuff and not many have bad to say about this. I thought this seemed cheap to me compared to others but I can’t complain for the money. I’ve read a few bits am I right in thinking I have a few upgrade options

Everything I've done so far is from suggestions here.

Other than a can of plastic primer and jet black spray paint from Halfords the only thing I've bought is the servo...just keeping a look out for a random 2.2 wheel on ebay for the back now.

shell much better with hinge thing off, got my bumper moved a little closer as well, all the rest stock at moment except i fitted a shell off a mighty thunder truck, fits well

• Like 1

shell much better with hinge thing off, got my bumper moved a little closer as well, all the rest stock at moment except i fitted a shell off a mighty thunder truck, fits well

I’ve un hinged the shell but I am gonna move the bumper back taking inspiration from earlier in this thread... think I’m gonna look at a servo next week as I’ve watched a few videos of different stuff now and I’m seeing the stock one as quite poor. I’ve took out my led lights as they were flickering anyway and irritating me

• Like 2

I've just went ahead and ordered my Mauler as well.
I've an older AX10 in a custom chassis with some mods an SCX10 Honcho and a SCX10.2 Cherokee.

I've noticed a lot of people saying Axial parts swap over for the most part. I'm assuming this means axles / Chubs / axle interals / lockouts / steering knuckles etc?
What about the trans. Is that a straight swap as well?

Is there enough room to fit a 550 sized motor in it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NEED HELP...

drive shaft issues, keeps popping out, looking at replacements is there any that would fit, preferably better than the stock ones.

Looking at measurements, may sound stupid but how do I measure the stock ones. Is it fully extended or?

thanks in advance 

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I fitted 170mm driveshafts to mine when it was the stock wheelbase. Just seach eBay for that size. 170mm is the fully extended length. 

Thanks, much appreciated

On 02/02/2018 at 10:51, Hardcore said:

I've just went ahead and ordered my Mauler as well.
I've an older AX10 in a custom chassis with some mods an SCX10 Honcho and a SCX10.2 Cherokee.

I've noticed a lot of people saying Axial parts swap over for the most part. I'm assuming this means axles / Chubs / axle interals / lockouts / steering knuckles etc?
What about the trans. Is that a straight swap as well?

Is there enough room to fit a 550 sized motor in it?

Sorry, I can't answer your questions but as you've got a good selection of Axial rigs I figure you'll get a good idea once it arrives.

I'm wondering if its possible to convert the Mauler to a Wraith ... the Wraiths wheels seem to stand a little more forward.