• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread

johninderby

Does anybody know a solution for the hardened plastic diff hubs?

My boy already spoiled 2 (axle drive shaft is spinning through) .

Luckily I bought 2 before and I am going to fix this one for the time being.

But is there any other, better solution?

• 1 month later...

Hello, an another old geezer looking for a RC car after some 30-odd years break from the hobby. I'm being drawn towards the rock racer looks and the Mauler seems to be a strong contender.  I'm not looking towards serious crawling, more like a sprightly ride in rock and root infested woods. Not looking at basher speeds, more like 12-15 mph max with good acceleration  with NiMH or 2s LiPos max. However judging from the tons of forum pages and vids I've gone through the Mauler seems a bit slow for my taste out of the box.

It seems the Mauler can accept different pinion sizes unlike the Outlaw  but I haven't found any mention how big can it take and whether a mere pinion change would give me the performance I want. Can anyone shed some light on this? Probably a motor swap would be fine too but I'd rather not start replacing the whole electronics set from the get go.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I just went ahead and ordered two (because kids) RGT Rock Hammers which is basically the same truck as the Mauler. While I was at it I also got two of these servos as upgrades:

https://www.banggood.com/DSSERVO-DS3225-25KG-180-Degree-Metal-Gear-High-Torque-Waterproof-Digital-Servo-For-RC-Airplane-Robot-Car-p-1353688.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=UK

Now I wonder if I can just get away plugging the servo in to the 2in1 receiver/ESC (apparently the RH comes with the same electronics as the Mauler these days)  or do I really need to get a BEC? Not that wiring up a BEC is actual rocket science but I'd prefer not to deal with the hassle of soldering if I can help it.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know if you can fit a wraith gearbox or another gearbox in the mauler and also what prop shafts are people running in these only just got one and been out the game for nearly 5 years 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2018 at 16:35, Jack Reacher said:

of top of my head i think its about 140mm but hopefully the next set will arrive tomorrow, i need the universal 110-155mm ones as this mauler has a stretched chassis, the first ebay seller sent me the 80-120mm shafts despite me ordering 110-155mm, finally got a refund on first set

I found that MIP make a indestructible prop roughly long enough bit pricey but worth the pennies had them on my brushless wraith running 3s flat out never had any issues also had them on my slash running 6s so far never broke any.

• 11 months later...
On 10/08/2020 at 19:43, Jens said:

Does anybody know a solution for the hardened plastic diff hubs?

My boy already spoiled 2 (axle drive shaft is spinning through) .

Luckily I bought 2 before and I am going to fix this one for the time being.

But is there any other, better solution?

This is a year later now but same thing happened to mine. Saw that the FTX aluminium replacements were £28 a pop and found some on Amazon that worked for £10 each. Unfortunately the following day the screw stripped out of the front left hub carrier and again the FTX aluminium replacement is around £40 which is crazy so I have spent most of the day looking at Wraith axle sets to replace the entire thing with but lead times are pretty crazy.

11 minutes ago, timorous said:

This is a year later now but same thing happened to mine. Saw that the FTX aluminium replacements were £28 a pop and found some on Amazon that worked for £10 each. Unfortunately the following day the screw stripped out of the front left hub carrier and again the FTX aluminium replacement is around £40 which is crazy so I have spent most of the day looking at Wraith axle sets to replace the entire thing with but lead times are pretty crazy.

I'm also looking for a solution to this as the rear diff block stripped on the first day . All the ftx aluminium ones seam to be sold out.

Hi, I had this problem with my Mauler, sorted thanks to help from other forum members. The diff unit is the same in a  Maverick scout and some Hsp models. I ordered a full metal diff assembly for a HSP94180 off ebay for £5.99 which took 3 weeks to come from China. Also check out Aliexpress.Hve not fitted it yet but looks like good quality

Hope this helps

On 28/12/2021 at 19:58, Russell iow said:

I'm also looking for a solution to this as the rear diff block stripped on the first day . All the ftx aluminium ones seam to be sold out.

Yea as others have said HSP 94180 or RGT 18000 (Rock Hammer) based parts are the same for the axles/diff.

The metal diffs seem pretty sturdy, unfortunately with the new axles on order they were a total waste of money for me since the new axles use different diffs. If only the screw had stripped out 1st. Oh well I have a wood screw holding it together for now until the axles arrive in a couple of weeks.

Mine arrived through the door yesterday, first big crawler for me. Was planning on modifying it but will most likely just run it as is maybe some new tires/wheels. 

I've noticed a lack of modifications available for it though, does anyone have a link or two they can share? I'm slightly paranoid about plastic gears and will replace these and the servo at the first opportunity. 

Hi @Trunkle, welcome to the Mauler owners club 👍, never regretted getting mine, for upgrades look on ebay and aliexpresss.  I would start with the metal diffs then see what you fancy / need next

Cheers, Ian 

• Like 1

The plastic casing or the metal driveshaft that goes into the diff/crownwheel? I’ve proper abused mine and they have been no bother really, might be bad luck? 

Slower motor or lower gear pinion is also an option for a 3 year old? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Russell iow said:

It's the end of the plastic axel casing that holds the pivot for the hub to the axle, on the front.

You can get replacement axle housings pretty cheap from modelsport. Won't be any stronger but you'll at least get back out for not much outlay 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-mauler-4x4-rock-crawler-rtr-yellow-420978/spares-1682

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Am I just really unlucky or is this typical RC ownership?

1) diffs strip making it effectively 1 wheel drive, replace with alu diffs and all good for 1 day then.

2) screws strip on front axle steering hub so car wont steer. Replace both axles with metal wraith ones. All good for 2 days then.

3) Steering servo pin bends a fraction jamming up the servo. Replace that with a 25kg one. Good for 2 hours then.

4) 2 in 1 esc/rx does something and now car only goes backwards. Checked transmitter and it is not batteries or a fault there.

if you reverse the throttle settings on the transmitter does the car then only go forwards. If so would suspect a transmitter fault

Does sound like the esc then. When I bought my mauler the esc/receiver had already been changed for separate traxxas items, along with the transmitter 

Ha sounds about right, so far I have superglued the front upper suspension arm (both ends), front hub carrier and rear diff block .  I also replaced the striped spur/ pinion and fited a hobbywing 1080 esc so i could run 3s batteries (esc set to 50%).

Edited by Russell iow

22 hours ago, Russell iow said:

, so far I have superglued the front upper suspension arm (both ends), front hub carrier and rear diff block . 

Do you mean you have successfuly repaired the rounded off diff block ? I have metal ones in mine now but would be handy to repair the old units just in case

Cheers, ian