• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread

johninderby

On 10/10/2018 at 15:44, 300bhp/ton said:

Not sure if this is covered in here somewhere, but I'll ask anyway.

FTX offer the Outback 2, the Outback Fury (which I can almost nothing of on YouTube, etc) and this the Mauler.

They all seem to priced fairly similar and at least superficially seem to be aimed at similar use. Is anyone able to explain the differences and pro or cons of each?

I set on buying the Outback 2, until I checked and noticed the Fury and Mauler... 

I've had both an Outback 2 and a Mauler, the Fury is basically the new upgraded Outback with some of the faults of the original fixed...

Depends what you want really. The Outback is more scale, the Mauler is more capable. I really enjoy both but I basically prefer the scale look so I'm sticking with the Outback. The Mauler is more outright fun out of the box, though.

The Fury is a pretty big step up in spec tbh, it's a much newer version and it shows.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since i cant repaint my yellow rig, all i can do it tone it down with stick on bits, so ordered a spotlight bar for the roof, and a pair of FTX kanyon door mirrors, and some yankee stickers

I am toying with getting another shell and painting it black on the lower and met blue above

Edited by Jack Reacher

• 2 weeks later...

Now added a spot light bar to the mauler pickup, helps break up the yellow paint a bit more, starting to look right now, only thing is i had to cut the futaba plug of and just wire it +_ in to a battery box and now it just does a random pattern of flashing led

spots.JPG

spots 2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just reverting my Mauler back to standard now to sell on.
Only took it out twice, but it was a great truck and very under rated in the crawler market.

I'd fitted a 19t 550 motor, a 1060 ESC, Turnigy 5A BEC, Power HD 20KG servo and was running a 3s Lipo
Much more wheel speed than stock, much more torque that anstadard much smoother low speed control. The steering lock was still poor though due to the knuckles bump stops but despite the plastic lockers nothing broke.

I got a good deal on a Gom and although the Mauler is a great 2.2 i think i'll be a lot happier focusing on the Gom

• 3 months later...

Hey all, late to the party but just ordered myself a Mauler. This is a great thread - many thanks to everyone who's contributed and helped get me onboard :) 

I shall be collecting my Mauler over the weekend and will commence the necessary mods shortly after. Couple of q's please so that I can get ahead...

Is the supplied combo receiver and ESC compatible with the Futaba FHSS systems?

What's the battery connector type please? I'm hoping Dean's as I have several stickpacks with Dean's already...

Does a new servo or Rx necessitate a servo extension lead?

Many thanks all!

cleggy. 

Hi,

As far as I remember I didn't need an extension for the servo....it just connected fine....and can't check now but i believe the battery was Deans as well.

Folks, here's my wishlist for the forthcoming Mauler. Please could you make any recommendations or add your thoughts?

Quicrun 1060 or 1080? Don't mind paying extra if the 1080 is worth it. 

Front axle set to make it 4-wheel steer

RC4WD 540 65T or 80T motor?

Some Vapextec 3700mAh NiMh packs (I'll leave lipo alone for now)

Do I need any metal parts to replace known weak spots? Already ordered an alloy servo horn and a Turnigy servo. And I've ordered marine grease too. 

Many thanks guys. 

Cleggy

On 04/04/2019 at 13:15, Cleggmeister said:

Folks, here's my wishlist for the forthcoming Mauler. Please could you make any recommendations or add your thoughts?

Quicrun 1060 or 1080? Don't mind paying extra if the 1080 is worth it. 

Front axle set to make it 4-wheel steer

RC4WD 540 65T or 80T motor?

Some Vapextec 3700mAh NiMh packs (I'll leave lipo alone for now)

Do I need any metal parts to replace known weak spots? Already ordered an alloy servo horn and a Turnigy servo. And I've ordered marine grease too. 

Many thanks guys. 

Cleggy

I'm happy with the 1080 in mine, the programability is worth the extra IMO. I'd leave the motor, the gearing is ridiculously low as it is, a high turn motor won't be of any benefit. The only major weak spot is the stock plastic diff locks.

Just thought id say hello! Back into RC cars after more than 20 years! ? had the usual Tamiya cars as a kid, Hornet and Astute, then got a Big brute and also a Meteor.

Wanted something to use in the garden this time, so not so fast, and ended up getting an FTX Mauler. Great fun at the moment, also enjoy making obstacles out of pallet wood.

Unfortunately its already broken, rear drive shaft has rounded where it inserts to the pinion gear. So its a 3wd at the moment!  Modelsport been very good though and are sending me out replacement parts foc. ?

Wasn't very impressed with the stock paint job though so gave it a bit of a spray job. (scratches will be sorted with a sharpie)!  Also upgraded the steering servo after reading this thead. ?

56737282_10155813390927024_3128347796361445376_o.jpg

Edited by thepopela
  • Like 1

Pretty much did the same paint wise... Changed the servo and that's all for the mauler.... Later picked up a second hand scx10 and fitted the ESC 1080 to that...but it was the Mauler that wetted my appetite.

IMG_20190410_085907776~2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2019 at 19:54, Cleggmeister said:

Ollie, I've got to say that with the stock electronics I feel the Mauler is way too fast and there's very little throttle control/gradient.  I know you're running a better ESC but do you recall if yours was like mine with stock kit?  Cheer buddy.  Cleggy.

The stock ESC was pretty snatchy IIRC. In regards to speed, mine is my first and only crawler so I don't really have a frame of reference but compared to my 1/8th stuff it's an absolute slug ?. I think with a bit more controllability from a better ESC the top end is less of an issue. It's final drive gear ratio is already quite a bit lower (slower) than most axial stuff so I'm not sure how slow you expect it to be?

On 22/04/2019 at 09:23, OllieNZ said:

The stock ESC was pretty snatchy IIRC. In regards to speed, mine is my first and only crawler so I don't really have a frame of reference but compared to my 1/8th stuff it's an absolute slug ?. I think with a bit more controllability from a better ESC the top end is less of an issue. It's final drive gear ratio is already quite a bit lower (slower) than most axial stuff so I'm not sure how slow you expect it to be?

Thanks Ollie, it turns out I had a faulty stock ESC, hence the slowest speed was around 2mph.  With the 1080 ESC and 35T motor it's now just the way I like it! :)

• Like 1