• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

• 2 weeks later...

Mine took a fair old beating today and managed to stay in one piece. I was quite surprised given the size of some of the falls I managed to subject it to and the ferocity of the ESC brake when coming off the trigger at speed. 

• Like 1

I may have spoken too soon. 

Was giving the drivetrain a little run after cleaning today, just to check things over  and have noticed a clicking sound coming from something on, or near, the front axle. The sound seems to be there with both forward and reverse drive and, I think, is happening at a rate linked to the wheel speed (somewhere between one and two clicks per full wheel rotation). 

I guess this means I’ll have to take it all apart to have a look inside but has anyone seen, or heard, anything like this before?

If I had to guess if probably put money on one of the portal gears bearing damaged. I would expect it to be happening more often if it was something in the diff. 

• Confused 1

On 26/06/2022 at 20:58, BigGinge said:

Mine took a fair old beating today and managed to stay in one piece. I was quite surprised given the size of some of the falls I managed to subject it to and the ferocity of the ESC brake when coming off the trigger at speed. 

Are you driving at speed in the crawler setting on the esc?

If you are, its a good way to break things because of the harsh brake when you stop, easy to twist driveshafts, strip portal gears, break spur teeth etc.

I made this mistake and now I just run the trx4's in trail mode, even when crawling.  It can be a bit fiddly when stop mid climb and have to apply the brake but I figure its safer on parts. 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigGinge said:

I may have spoken too soon. 

Was giving the drivetrain a little run after cleaning today, just to check things over  and have noticed a clicking sound coming from something on, or near, the front axle. The sound seems to be there with both forward and reverse drive and, I think, is happening at a rate linked to the wheel speed (somewhere between one and two clicks per full wheel rotation). 

I guess this means I’ll have to take it all apart to have a look inside but has anyone seen, or heard, anything like this before?

If I had to guess if probably put money on one of the portal gears bearing damaged. I would expect it to be happening more often if it was something in the diff. 

Mine started clicking after the scale Nats, I think mine is coming from the rear but I haven't tracked it down. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues so I'm just going to run it as is until it fails or I can be bothered to take it apart to see where its coming from.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Redback said:

Check bearings, could be in the portals, its the only thing besides the shift servos that has ever failed on mine.
I'd be surprised if it was in the drive train, the gearsets a tank and unless you have removed the slipper it should save portal and diff gears, i also run mine on a high powered brushless setup and its driven by a child thus hes not kind to it.

I stripped the front portals down during the week and didn’t see any damage on any of the gears and everything seemed to be running nice and smoothly while it was apart. Once it was all back together I gave it a quick run and the clicking had stopped, so it may have just been a bit of grit/dirt trapped somewhere it shouldn’t have been. Hopefully it will stay quiet next time I get a chance to go out for a proper run. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Redback said:

But Power HD why is your servo lead 10mm to short for the trx4 but your shift servo cables are 2 times too long lol...

Did you not get the trx specific steering servo with the longer cable? 

• 4 weeks later...

Testing out the mods to my stock trx4, loaded it with brass.
Results as expected are great! Well worth the investment, underdrive too! Turns on a hairpin.

Before the brass it would have been rolling off the edge of the cliff.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 3

The screws that came with the inner front casings tho, didnt fit, the ones for the bushings to long, the stock ones too long, ground them down but felt a bit annoyed having to do so, wtf.
Whats yours weight in at @Stormbringer im concerned if i add more it will start to hinder performance, front maybe the brass casters? how much do they weight anyone know?

No idea mate the scales i tried to use only go to 5kg that was the trx4 the trx6 is even heavier lol 😆 

Edited by Stormbringer

Just now, Stormbringer said:

No idea mate the scales i tried to use only go to 5kg that was the trx4 the trx6 is even heavier lol 😆 

over 5kg mmm ok hows it handle steep climbs does it not drag it self backwards?
Also some snaps, love my new phones camera.

20220730_122043.jpg

20220730_120425.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

the trx4 is a lovely piece of kit :good:

i did use an ebay light kit for my trx4 but found it wasnt very good . if you keep the steering on for 10 seconds it changed the mode of the lights and spent more time getting it back way i wanted it than driving . it really hacked me off 

so i did go the traxxas light kit route in the end 

• Like 1