• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

Thanks for the comments and advice.... I've got a brand new 1060 for another build which I might try but may bite the bullet and order a 1080.

For a £500 rig, still surprises me how many gremlins the trx4 has and how much it 'needs' to be 'better'. However, out the box it will suit the masses, but the trailers and scalers need an excuse to furtle and fettle to make it their own!

I look forward to seeing shiny new bits and bling Gaz :) 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, big gaz said:

Lol, I’m waiting for those spools too, they come with a little bung to cover the cable hole too.

saw them on a u.s Rc shop for £10 a set but £18 postage......I wait for them to be in stock at modelsport :whistling:

just done a few hours and it still works, horay, might order the locker thing off amain, taking forever for modelsport to get them

18 hours ago, Davy Crockett said:

Thanks for the comments and advice.... I've got a brand new 1060 for another build which I might try but may bite the bullet and order a 1080.

For a £500 rig, still surprises me how many gremlins the trx4 has and how much it 'needs' to be 'better'. However, out the box it will suit the masses, but the trailers and scalers need an excuse to furtle and fettle to make it their own!

I look forward to seeing shiny new bits and bling Gaz :) 

Aside from the esc issue (which I didn't k ow about) I think k it's probably got the fewest gremlins of any rtr I've had aside from the firestorm and given it's complexity that's quite surprising saying that I am biased lol as think a lot of what people are doing is fine tuning to their needs and want a 

Rear bumper,  https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302612792782

front bumper, https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122897557938

i believe their also on rcmart, and seen a package of front and rear on eBay.

yes they aren’t branded (grc I think) but they do look very realistic.

Can’t comment on the rear as it’s still in the bag, the front one is excellent (I used all my own hardware though) really solid, detailed like the real thing and 4 different heights to choose from. 

The bumper end caps got hung up last outing but that was on smaller tyres so could well be a different story now, otherwise easy enough to remove.

• Like 1

Well, I decided to give the Quikrun 1080 a whirl.....

25462452997_45f92b1640_z.jpg

Managed a short blast through the woods and I'm VERY impressed with how it performs, really tuneable...

26462487488_397c469176_z.jpg

Thinking of ordering a few bits of bling and tempted for the rear bumper and the shiny red portals :) 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Davy Crockett said:

Well, I decided to give the Quikrun 1080 a whirl.....

25462452997_45f92b1640_z.jpg

Managed a short blast through the woods and I'm VERY impressed with how it performs, really tuneable...

26462487488_397c469176_z.jpg

Thinking of ordering a few bits of bling and tempted for the rear bumper and the shiny red portals :) 

I see your running a 1080 esc can I ask if there was a reason for the change?

43 minutes ago, norcoforever said:

I see your running a 1080 esc can I ask if there was a reason for the change?

I asked for help after my XL5 had a red blinking led, 1080 came well recommended so decided I'd try it. Turns out faulty cell was causing ESC to go into low voltage mode 

Lmao, I too removed my xl5 today in favour of the 1080.

had a trip out yesterday and really impressed with the hyrax tyres, they have some serious grip.

on a side note, I do have a issue, both the xl5 and 1080 esc’s have the same outcome.

using my dx4s, I have nothing for the first half- 2/3 of the throttle trigger, then everything for the last little bit. Gone through all the settings and nothing has jumped out on the dx4s settings.  Can’t for the life of me remember if it did it with the traxxas radio gear as it was only a short test run.

fitted a rear chassis brace and new rear bumper today, forgot pics though :banghead:

9 hours ago, big gaz said:

Lmao, I too removed my xl5 today in favour of the 1080.

on a side note, I do have a issue, both the xl5 and 1080 esc’s have the same outcome.

using my dx4s, I have nothing for the first half- 2/3 of the throttle trigger, then everything for the last little bit. Gone through all the settings and nothing has jumped out on the dx4s settings.  Can’t for the life of me remember if it did it with the traxxas radio gear as it was only a short test run.

Has the issue started since you swapped ESCs??

As steve said, I'd guess TX if they're both doing it and a pound to a pinch of #### it doesnt happen on another TX????

16 hours ago, heavyleftthumb said:

could it be the handset setting? maybe re calibrate the throttle? or the neutral zone on handset?

Maybe mate but can’t see anything in the settings to be able to do it.

10 hours ago, Davy Crockett said:

Has the issue started since you swapped ESCs??

As steve said, I'd guess TX if they're both doing it and a pound to a pinch of #### it doesnt happen on another TX????

Ooh now your tempting me, I have my eye on the dx5r but will have to wait a couple of months.

unfortunately the issue was originally with the xl5 so dropped in the 1080 I had waiting for it and it’s exactly the same...

ill have to drop a battery into something else and see if that’s the same, worst case it’s the receiver or tranny but we shall see.

thanks for the help though chaps :good:

5 hours ago, big gaz said:

Ooh now your tempting me, I have my eye on the dx5r but will have to wait a couple of months.

unfortunately the issue was originally with the xl5 so dropped in the 1080 I had waiting for it and it’s exactly the same...

ill have to drop a battery into something else and see if that’s the same, worst case it’s the receiver or tranny but we shall see.

Try another tx I didn't mean 'buy a dx5r' .... but if it helps justify it :D:D

Have you got the original tx to try? Can you borrow jakes tx to test your xl5/1080 on your rig or pop your ESCs on jakes?? Just my process of eliminating a fault

Side note I have to say I'm absolutely loving the TRX4, fantastic rig and great fun on the trail we run. some bling on its way and some tinkering to be done :D 

Edited by Davy Crockett
  • Thanks 1

Yeah this issue aside, it’s a beast of a truck when you replace steering servo and add weight.

i was really surprised how well it climbs even with the front diff open.

i shall spend a little time trying to figure something out. Well I was fancying a different tx, the 5 channels would make it ideal for the trx4....

i shall all keep you all updated as we go.

@Davy Crockett, what bling have you gone for mate?

12 hours ago, big gaz said:

Yeah this issue aside, it’s a beast of a truck when you replace steering servo and add weight.

i was really surprised how well it climbs even with the front diff open.

i shall spend a little time trying to figure something out. Well I was fancying a different tx, the 5 channels would make it ideal for the trx4....

i shall all keep you all updated as we go.

@Davy Crockett, what bling have you gone for mate?

I have ordered shiny red inner and outer portal covers and some bonnet vents :):) 

Tinkering I am rewiring the cheap Chinese LED to run on a separate lipo instead of connected to rx, making some bush cables and adding a steel front bumper I had made at work (not as fetching as yours but it'll add weight up front!!)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, norcoforever said:

If I unglue them does anyone know if the stock tyres can be mounted to beadlock wheels?

Yes mate, should drop right on, seen this done a few times on a American site.

by all accounts, the tyres are actually very good.

go for it mate, what wheels are you going for?

6 hours ago, big gaz said:

Yes mate, should drop right on, seen this done a few times on a American site.

by all accounts, the tyres are actually very good.

go for it mate, what wheels are you going for?

That's good to hear. I'm going to get a second set of ssd wheels as I do really like them.

Second question in terms of removing the tyres is acetone still the best method and what effect does it have on the rubber and foams?

On 19/02/2018 at 16:59, big gaz said:

If it does it with all models then could be muck in the pot for the trigger in the TX?  Strip is down and spray some contact cleaner in there?

If work fine with everything else then no idea!

7 hours ago, norcoforever said:

That's good to hear. I'm going to get a second set of ssd wheels as I do really like them.

Second question in terms of removing the tyres is acetone still the best method and what effect does it have on the rubber and foams?

I removed tyres glued to rims by putting each wheel into a pan of not-quite-boiling water and 'simmering' for 15mins. pulling the tyre back off the rim and keeping pressure carefully cut the glue with a scalpel and the tyre came away. 

Take care with the 1st and try not to cut the rubber 

• Thanks 1