• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

Sounds like a plan to me mate :good:

ooh might have some worktop coming my way too. I’ll keep you posted on that though.

as for the trx4, well the parts are building up, going to wait until I have them all here before giving it a nut and bolt rebuild with all the bling bits fitted., should help weight a bit too.

• Like 1

Been waiting since before Christmas to add these hop ups to the truck, some bits are ‘still’ in the post....

now my original plan was all black alloy but spied the front inner and outer portal cases from gpm at silly money in red so decided to get red portal casings with black c-hubs and rear lockouts (samix c-hubs are black). But when it came to ordering, couldn’t find the samix ones anywhere so had to settle for fastrax for now (I’ll get samix ones eventually and put the fastrax ones on My lads truck). Oh and lastly a red rear alloy bumper mount, the screws are a temp fix while I get some more :good:

one thing i will say though, the different branded bits aren’t a perfect fit together either but nothing a bit of modding couldn’t cure.

anyway, pics....

front, 

70_B06237-0454-4495-_B4_DF-3_FCBA7_B7_B8

rear,

E9_C2_E15_D-_B113-4588-922_E-8_C526_C61_

rear bumper mount,

376442_E7-26_C8-4_D13-92_ED-1_DD66_FCC7_

sorry about the pics, I’ll try to get some better ones in proper light.

waiting again now until the next batch of things to come through the post.

• Thanks 1

If I was starting from scratch, around th 900 but I already had the servo and winch so say, 780 ish..... scary to think really but as I’ve said before, I would rather have a few decent cars than loads of stock cars if that makes sense.

i have to point out though, most of the changes aren’t necessary but more personal pleasure :whistling:

thanks guys :good:

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, big gaz said:

If I was starting from scratch, around th 900 but I already had the servo and winch so say, 780 ish..... scary to think really but as I’ve said before, I would rather have a few decent cars than loads of stock cars if that makes sense.

i have to point out though, most of the changes aren’t necessary but more personal pleasure :whistling:

thanks guys :good:

900 :o think I need to stop looking at these or I will go bankrupt :lol: 

• Haha 1

Well other than smoking, Rc is my only pleasure.

If it came new with that figure, I wouldn’t buy it, I like a bare bones Rc and personalise it my way, it will always affect resale value but for once I can honestly say, I’m happy with the Rc I have, must get them used a bit more too.

anyway, another chunk of alloy dropped through the letterbox this morning so hoping to slap that on sometime today :good:

only need 3-4 more bits to get it where I’m happy, then it all wants dialling in, been looking at different shocks but I think with a rebuild of the stock ones with different oils should make them loads better.

i need to get out with them again soon though, it’s far too long in between outings.....

2 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

I just took delivery of my TRX-4. Can I ask, do you run a 2S or 3S in it?

Only used 2s as yet mate and for me, that’s enough although I have some 3s so I might give that a go :good:

Ooh, forgot yesterday’s pics......

52223_A3_E-2_C65-47_E6-84_A7-_F2470_F1_B

EEDD06_E7-29_E0-4804-9_A46-7_FD8_C8608_E

90_F61_F2_B-7762-4_F85-_B491-83_DD26_B61

i think I have had a genius moment too, I’ll elaborate some more on that later, it’s harder to explain in text than showing or speaking it, lol.

20 hours ago, bigdar44 said:

Looking very good mate :good:

Cheers mate, appreciate it :good:

so to elaborate to the genius moment....

pas said elsewhere in this thread, I have kept the rear diff locked and keep the front switchable from the tx, as I’ve been adding low down weight I thought I best remove what I’m not going to need, now the first mode was to lock the rear diff and unplug the servo but wanted something a little more permanent, as I was changing the rear diff cover, I manually worked the diff lock fork shows a little tab that swings out as it’s unlocked,

EEDD06_E7-29_E0-4804-9_A46-7_FD8_C8608_E

now this pics shows what I did, drilled a 2.5mm hole smack bang in the middle of the little lump in the diff cover and screwed in a m3 x 6mm dome head, now I had to file a little off the end, as you refit the diff cover it needs to mate up to the axle housing perfectly but it’s a easy to work out and sort. Now this stops the fork disengaging the lock leaving me free to remove the servo.

the cable is tie wrapped up out the way but I’ve heard a permanently locked diff kit will be coming available so hopefully there will be a bung to replace the cable. We shall see....

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the TRX4 clan......

Anyone having trouble with XL5 going into 'limp' mode?

Had a quick trail on Saturday and twice I lost power, wheels just turned very slowly, both times ESC blinking red led.

Had 2 lipos, 4000mah and 5300mah, both fully charged and happened 1st going through mud and 2nd climbing a rock. Only 20mins or so in so not flats. It was bloody cold and I'm guessing low voltage cut out??

Wondering about putting a 1060 ESC in......

Edited by Davy Crockett

22 minutes ago, Davy Crockett said:

Question for the TRX4 clan......

Anyone having trouble with XL5 going into 'limp' mode?

Had a quick trail on Saturday and twice I lost power, wheels just turned very slowly, both times ESC blinking red led.

Had 2 lipos, 4000mah and 5300mah, both fully charged and happened 1st going through mud and 2nd climbing a rock. Only 20mins or so in so not flats. It was bloody cold and I'm guessing low voltage cut out??

Wondering about putting a 1060 ESC in......

had my trx4 1 week and the esc died, now have a hw1080 which is great, deffo worth the extra money over the 1060, comes with very useful programming card

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, just rolling said:

had my trx4 1 week and the esc died, now have a hw1080 which is great, deffo worth the extra money over the 1060, comes with very useful programming card

Whilst my esc is going strong although a little too rough on the throttle curve for this type of truck, I can only echo what @just rolling has said. The 1080 is sublime for the money. I will say the Tekin fxr (non waterproof) is better but it’s at least double the price.

between me and the lad, we have 4 of the 1080 esc’s and can’t fault them one little bit.

just to add, have some more shiny stuff to fit but more coming so I’ll wait until it all arrives and do it in one go.

not much left to get now, need some titanium links and a spur gear cover and it’s about done for now.....

1 hour ago, big gaz said:

Whilst my esc is going strong although a little too rough on the throttle curve for this type of truck, I can only echo what @just rolling has said. The 1080 is sublime for the money. I will say the Tekin fxr (non waterproof) is better but it’s at least double the price.

between me and the lad, we have 4 of the 1080 esc’s and can’t fault them one little bit.

just to add, have some more shiny stuff to fit but more coming so I’ll wait until it all arrives and do it in one go.

not much left to get now, need some titanium links and a spur gear cover and it’s about done for now.....

running my tactical on a 3ch now with diffs locked and 3rd ch for high and low, will be fitting the diff locker spools when they arrive, got the hw 1060 which is ok in others trucks but the hw 1080 i have in tactical is great, was thinking castle brushless but just gona stay with 1080 and stock motor, seems all good now lol

• Thanks 1

Lol, I’m waiting for those spools too, they come with a little bung to cover the cable hole too.

saw them on a u.s Rc shop for £10 a set but £18 postage......I wait for them to be in stock at modelsport :whistling:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, big gaz said:

Lol, I’m waiting for those spools too, they come with a little bung to cover the cable hole too.

saw them on a u.s Rc shop for £10 a set but £18 postage......I wait for them to be in stock at modelsport :whistling:

You got a link buddy?

Scratch that just ordered a pair for $22 shipped from amain hobbies.

Don't get me wrong the locking servo is a nice trick but I run it almost always locked anyway 

Edited by norcoforever