• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mini 8ight diff shims

bombercountynick

Where are people getting the shims from?

My rear dif has chewed itself after 3 packs at the 8th track this weekend!

I was going to sell it but actually had a real good time with it so if anyone has some tips to strengthen up the difs it would be appreciated. I'm only running 2s with a 4500kv motor so its not got crazy power!

Thanks

Nick. 

Sadly it's a common fault on the little mini 8ight it's even worse on the 8ight T im sure I read somewhere you can use the diffs from the LC Racing Buggy which are better ? But I'd double check before buying any as it was a while ago and I'm not sure if it requires a mod to get them to fit .. 

Nick, I've a vague recollection of emb diffs fitting the mini8, though couldn't say for certain.  I think though that the LC design borrowed heavily from the mini8....

If your over my way and want to loan an emb diff shout up, elsewise i'm happy to post you one to try - fwiw there not that expensive to buy, and both versions (4 sun gears / vertical gears in early ones) are very durable - my race buggy gears showed very little wear after a full year's racing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oranjedrol said:

Thanks mate,

@capri-boy I'll look into the emb diff's and see if they are a go! Going to try shim some stock losi difs first and if all else fails I'll try the EMB, or sell it and just buy an emb!!

5 hours ago, bombercountynick said:

Thanks mate,

@capri-boy I'll look into the emb diff's and see if they are a go! Going to try shim some stock losi difs first and if all else fails I'll try the EMB, or sell it and just buy an emb!!

lol sounds a plan.  There's two nice upgraded b/l rtr's in the rmb group on fb atm for 85 ish each.  

Well I got the rear dif stripped down today, as i expected the crownwheel has started to self destruct, see photo's.

So these associated shims, do i simply fit either side of the bearings on the dif until there is no more play side to side? Never had to shim any of my difs so far so i'm a bit unsure!!

I Do know I don't want to be replacing these every few runs cause it's gonna get damn expensive!!

32385774906_0171364b44_b.jpgmini 8crownwheel1 by Nicholas Simpson, on Flickr

32047511840_2a8fccd9cf_b.jpgmini 8 crownwheel2 by Nicholas Simpson, on Flickr

• 4 years later...

@mydoddy69 and @capri-boy 

il be getting the losi mini 8ight t soon, been reading up on it past few days and the only thing that pops up are the diffs eating itself. was wondering if the emb buggy/truggy diffs will fit? i cant seem to find the diffs anywhere.

many thanks guys

4 hours ago, froggy8 said:

@mydoddy69 and @capri-boy 

il be getting the losi mini 8ight t soon, been reading up on it past few days and the only thing that pops up are the diffs eating itself. was wondering if the emb buggy/truggy diffs will fit? i cant seem to find the diffs anywhere.

many thanks guys

The little mini 8 t was discontinued a long time ago so parts are getting hard to find. Not sure if the diffs from the EMB fit Sorry. 

If you get one just go super easy on it, the main issue was the driveshafts being to short popping out and eating the diffs it’s something that never got sorted out even with aftermarket support as far as I remember. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

The little mini 8 t was discontinued a long time ago so parts are getting hard to find. Not sure if the diffs from the EMB fit Sorry. 

If you get one just go super easy on it, the main issue was the driveshafts being to short popping out and eating the diffs it’s something that never got sorted out even with aftermarket support as far as I remember. 

many thanks for replying 🙂 

i might just try the emb diffs when/if the diffs fails on the losi.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a couple of used Mini 8ights on eBay a couple of months ago. I bought one back in the day and had regretted selling it ever since.

My son and I have loads of fun ripping them about, however I kind of feel like I made a mistake in getting them over the LC racing. I picked up a EMB-1 kit and having driven that (and broke it the other day…) it’s just as good and parts are available, even if a having to wait a little sometimes.

Hopefully Losi will bring the M8 back soon and parts for that will become easier to source. Love the mini scale buggy’s! 😀

1 hour ago, Rorys Breaker said:

I picked up a couple of used Mini 8ights on eBay a couple of months ago. I bought one back in the day and had regretted selling it ever since.

My son and I have loads of fun ripping them about, however I kind of feel like I made a mistake in getting them over the LC racing. I picked up a EMB-1 kit and having driven that (and broke it the other day…) it’s just as good and parts are available, even if a having to wait a little sometimes.

Hopefully Losi will bring the M8 back soon and parts for that will become easier to source. Love the mini scale buggy’s! 😀

yeah i tried looking for a losi 8ight too, just for the parts but non existent though.