• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

Just managed a first run of mine in the garden, brushed all standard.

Got to say I'm impressed. Quick enough for the space I have available, with a mixture of grass, gravel, paving. Handled all surfaces with ease. Landed nicely from a jump/drop of about a foot and managed to crawl over a few small rocks.

Battery lasted no time at all but most of it was at full throttle, and I'm sure that run time can be improved.

Don't regret choosing the Outlaw one bit, strongly suspect an Outback will also get added to my fleet.

Only a couple of months back into RC after a 20+ year break and already I'm contemplating my 3rd !!!

• Like 1

It would have been better if the stock brushed Outlaw came with a Lipo.. The difference between using the stock battery/esc to the brushed esc I've fitted to mine is staggering and yet so cheap to do. 

Would help if the stock brushed ESC was LiPo compatible. I plugged a 2s into the Hooligan ESC and flicked the switch, it went pop. 

13 minutes ago, t2boats said:

The manual says it's Lipo friendly, but no more than 2S (which is a shame).. 

(the Outlaws manual I meant)

Well, 2s is better than nothing! 

10 minutes ago, t2boats said:

Yeah was alright in 2S, clear difference with 3S though.. 

This is the esc I've used in it. Have used them in various cars over the last few years and they've worked really well without any hiccups 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232157518361 

Linky not valid.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, t2boats said:

Sorry chaps, try this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311728289781 

Hmm that doesn't work either.... I'm using my eBay ap on the phone, could be that?!?

try this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252550370788 

Edited by t2boats

Yeah, that can be used for a twin motor setup, it's what's in my Outlaw at the moment and a pair of motor wires simply coiled up to one side. The pic I put up is only £8.60...

Edited by t2boats

My son has the twin motor esc in his Losi MiniMonster on twin brushed motors, works well.

I've just clicked buy it now on the one with the deans connection and single motor :doh: it'll come in handy, perhaps in my old T-Maxx

So as far as I can tell I'm getting about 8 minutes run time from a 2000 nimh.

What would be the most cost effective way of improving this without having to start replacing too much. I'm happy enough with the speed of the thing, as I say anything much faster and I would start to need a bigger garden ... and we only moved in 4 weeks ago!!

Also, how bendy are those front body posts :@.@:

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Geehawk said:

Also, how bendy are those front body posts :@.@:

After filming my Outlaw it took a tumble - a rather quick one (34.1mph to be exact!), lost count how many times it roled.. But I can say one thing - it survived with no damage at all! Body feels really secure to me, very little flex in the posts. The tumble was caused by the esc I've fitted and it's "brake" function - I've found out it's abrupt! As I let go of the trigger expecting it to coast down in speed, the esc braked sending the car into front over flips, fortunately because the wheels/tyres are so big is just happily bounced end to end landing on all fours and carried on (phew!) 

• Like 1

By bendy I really meant flexible when inserting/removing body pins rather than liable to break.

In fact I can't imagine them ever breaking!

I shall cogitate a high capacity Lipo. I do already have a suitable charger, anything else I would require? I've not dabbled my toe in Lipo waters before.

The higher the C rating the more punch the battery will have. Unfortunately the higher the C rating the more expensive the battery. Probably something with a medium rating would be a good idea. Say 40 to 60 rather than the basic 20 or 25 rating. 

As far as to the battery connectors are concerned I prefer the XT60 type rsther than the Deans as they're easy to solder and plug/unplug easily as well. You could get an sdaptor plug to fit on the Tamiya connector on the ESC to match the connector that comes on whatever battery you get. Something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131982574618?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=431327789604&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Tamiya connectors actually hold up alright with an adaptor plug as it can stay in place. The Tamiya connectors do start to fail when they're plugged/unplugged a lot but with the adaptor plug not a problem.

John

Edited by johninderby

20 minutes ago, Geehawk said:

By bendy I really meant flexible when inserting/removing body pins rather than liable to break.

In fact I can't imagine them ever breaking!

Yes they do bend a little when adding the clips, sturdy stuff mind! Glad they're not too rigid though or they would certainly snap.

Fitted a brace across the rear shock towers. Just a 100mm length of M3 stainless rod with some locking nuts. Simple but effective. Really stiffens things up a lot. :thumbsup:

Fitted the new cheapie ESC and gave it a run around the car park.  Ran fine with no issues. Motor was a bit warm but ESC was cold. Don't know if it was the shock brace or the ESC or a bit of both but it now lifts the right front wheel off the ground under acceleration with 2s. Went straight though so not a problem.

John

Outlaw-Crossbrace.jpg

Outlaw-NewESC.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3