• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ft012 prop shaft wont come out

martin34

Hi.I got my ft012 yesterday and want to grease the prop shaft.I have removed the grub screw but the shaft is stuck to the bearings and wont pull out.It spins so its as if its seized to the inner bearing.Any tips on how to vet it out?Obviously i cant use heat so i am thinking about removing the motor and tapping it out?

On 10/13/2016 at 10:39, martin34 said:

Hi.I got my ft012 yesterday and want to grease the prop shaft.I have removed the grub screw but the shaft is stuck to the bearings and wont pull out.It spins so its as if its seized to the inner bearing.Any tips on how to vet it out?Obviously i cant use heat so i am thinking about removing the motor and tapping it out?

Give it a good soaking in WD40 bud..

stuffing tube with bearing in either end then a threaded rod or a flexi shaft. thats the usual method.

with the cheaper stuff the OD of the shaft is near on the same as the ID of the bearing and tends to be forced fitted, so its either a decamp and tapping or a removal and heat application. 

to put bearings into the tube, we used to use the hot and cold method, the bearing is placed into the freezer for a good few hours to shrink it, then heat is applied to the stuffing tube and the bearing fitted in, as the stuffing tube cools down because of the cold bearing it seats and grips itself ( we use the same method for fitting motorcycle crank bearings into the housings).

tapping out method can cause deforming of the tube end and/or a bent tube so one must be careful, you could swap out the original stuffing tube for a brass stuffing tube of the same ID-OD and a new bearing. then pack the stuffing tube with plenty of marine grease ( 9-10 times the cheaper made tubes sets are not very well packed out and over time loose grease and leak 

Thanks for the detailed reply Tamiya.I think I am going to give it a run as it is to make sure it all works ok then worry about getting the shaft out.I can't wait to try this little boat out.It looks like a rocket in the video's.

• 2 years later...

I use a cable oiler for a bicycle brake cable.  I take the prop off, clip it on the end and force grease in with a syringe till it ozzes out the other end.   You could also drill a small 2mm hole near the top of the tube inside the boat and squirt grease in that way.  You can cover the hole after so water doesn't leak in but if you do it properly, water won't.  First way is best, second way is almost as good but easier.