• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X2; brushless.

Tug

Update time, let's blow the dust off this old thread. 

The ZTW Beast is a good ESC, not as bad as Mr Talbot makes out. It's got issues, but kept within its limits, it'll do the job. 

However, with Hobbywing releasing the Max4, I decided to upgrade. The Max4 is in, bolted down and soldered up. Calibration was as simple as any ESC. 

Then came programming. I have a Hobbywing LCD box, but it's asking for a software update, so I can't move forward with it tonight. I'll address the software issue tomorrow. 

Here's some pics, excuse the bits of grass, I'll clean it out tomorrow. 

Side by side with the Beast.

20220502_183103

20220502_183114

Mounted. 

20220502_185108

Motor cables soldered and fitted. 

20220502_204058

Having read through the paperwork, this ESC will run 6S through 12S, including all the odd numbers, so that's good. 

Plenty of other parameters to play with, more on that when I get the LCD box working. 

That's it for tonight. 

• Like 3

Decided to dig through my collection of pit-cards, found an old LED card, tried it and it worked! Programming is done, testing asap! But not tonight, it's a little late. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tug said:

Yup, quite the unit. 

you need to post up another video when you try the esc out, i think it will be more powerful than your older unit.

• Thanks 1

So, updates. I've managed to get firmware into the ZTW Beast, but I've no idea if I've just replaced like for like, or new. Swapping ESCs is easy enough, so I'll do that soon to see if the 10S glitch is fixed. 

The Max4 has just had its first run. It's fine. The car ran just as before, no noticeable difference except the slow ramping of power because I've set punch to 1, its lowest setting. I like this, it's easy on the drive-train and the batteries. 

• 2 months later...
On 02/05/2022 at 21:12, Tug said:

Update time, let's blow the dust off this old thread. 

The ZTW Beast is a good ESC, not as bad as Mr Talbot makes out. It's got issues, but kept within its limits, it'll do the job. 

However, with Hobbywing releasing the Max4, I decided to upgrade. The Max4 is in, bolted down and soldered up. Calibration was as simple as any ESC. 

Then came programming. I have a Hobbywing LCD box, but it's asking for a software update, so I can't move forward with it tonight. I'll address the software issue tomorrow. 

Here's some pics, excuse the bits of grass, I'll clean it out tomorrow. 

Side by side with the Beast.

20220502_183103

20220502_183114

Mounted. 

20220502_185108

Motor cables soldered and fitted. 

20220502_204058

Having read through the paperwork, this ESC will run 6S through 12S, including all the odd numbers, so that's good. 

Plenty of other parameters to play with, more on that when I get the LCD box working. 

That's it for tonight. 

I had a ztw esc when they were released, that and both of the ztw escs my dad had too all went up in flames, if the max4 has max5 reliability then that’s going to be a brilliant esc for sure. 

15 minutes ago, toddfg said:

I had a ztw esc when they were released, that and both of the ztw escs my dad had too all went up in flames, if the max4 has max5 reliability then that’s going to be a brilliant esc for sure. 

To be fair, I liked the ZTW, it did its job. But it wasn't perfect, far from it. 

The Max4 is looking like a winner, but I'll not say too much until it's been run in anger. 

10 hours ago, Tug said:

To be fair, I liked the ZTW, it did its job. But it wasn't perfect, far from it. 

The Max4 is looking like a winner, but I'll not say too much until it's been run in anger. 

Yeah quite a few people do, it only seems to like low kv or it’s own brand motor which for me is pointless.

From a few videos I’ve seen the max 4 is good, seems to be good on the non recommended kv motors too but that’s only what they show you. 

33 minutes ago, toddfg said:

Yeah quite a few people do, it only seems to like low kv or it’s own brand motor which for me is pointless.

From a few videos I’ve seen the max 4 is good, seems to be good on the non recommended kv motors too but that’s only what they show you. 

Yeah, they all have their limits. I only run low kv motors, so I should be OK. 

• Like 1

Motor fans were so loud I couldn't hear the cell count beeps when turning the car on (something I always like to check). So I've now connected them through the original on-off switch from when the car was two-stroke. 

• 2 weeks later...