• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X2; brushless.

Tug

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

It looks like your brake disc is tapping your motor mount Clive, so I'm guessing their will be a tad less noise if you can remove a little bit of material from the mount?

It's probably already been covered, I haven't read all the replies, just hunted for pictures and videos! :lol:

Yeah, it's covered, I need a machine shop. I want to keep the mechanical brakes. 

Just now, mond said:

What mount are you using for the motor? I really don't like the Kershaw one in my DBXL so looking for a suitable replacement.

Really? I was looking at their 5ive kits today, I thought they looked well thought out. What don't you like? 

I'm using an RCMadness kit, simple design that does allow the use of mechanical brakes, but it does need skimming down by about 1 or 2 mm.

It looks good initially but I'd prefer something where the motor sits flush with a plate so there's little chance of it moving. It looks good in the photos and so far hasn't cause me issue but I don't really trust it very much. The aluminium appears to be also quite soft.

48 minutes ago, mond said:

It looks good initially but I'd prefer something where the motor sits flush with a plate so there's little chance of it moving. It looks good in the photos and so far hasn't cause me issue but I don't really trust it very much. The aluminium appears to be also quite soft.

Hmm, maybe it'll surprise you and go the distance? 

I liked the idea of the twin motor mount, I reckon a pair of 1717s on 6S would push this thing along quite well............For all of five minutes until LVC! :lol:  However, I'm not throwing 150 notes at it to find out when the system I've got seems fine. 

48 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Easy enough to do it with a Dremel, no?

No, it's quite a large area and I don't want to stuff it up. You can see the area is quite large in the pics. 

1 minute ago, Tug said:

No, it's quite a large area and I don't want to stuff it up. You can see the area is quite large in the pics. 

Ahh yes if you want the entire thing milling down... I thought maybe just shaving a bit off where the actual disc is catching.

Would save a lot of time and a few quid :P

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

Ahh yes if you want the entire thing milling down... I thought maybe just shaving a bit off where the actual disc is catching.

Would save a lot of time and a few quid :P

I'm only doing the affected area, but want it to look right. I don't think I could hold a handtool firm enough. 

48 minutes ago, cookie666uk said:

have you checked the bottom of the motor mount where it meets the chassis is dead true and square? it could be that throwing the mesh out?

If it is the mount, I won't be tackling it, definitely need a machine shop! 

5 minutes ago, scatteh316 said:

What the hell is causing that?? Is it the motor? It shouldn't be that bad!!

It's probably made worse when you're pushing it slowly, the magnets in the motor will be jumping back and forth as the car moves forwards or backwards. 

I run carbon fibre disk brakes on my X2 and they quieted it down quite a bit compared to the stock metal disks, maybe an option for you?

Although when I had the metal brake disks in it still wasn't as noisy as yours.

You can also get a guide for the disk brakes to stop them from moving when the truck is in motion, I've looked at them myself as it stops the disks from rubbing on things because after some use the centre gets worn and they do move around a bit.

Edited by scatteh316

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Speed calculator from an engineer I know has pegged the prospective speed at mid thirties, but high thirties with a 21 tooth pinion. So I ordered one. 

My bog standard five was speed trapped at 36mph I think, which does feel faster when your bashing on the rough stuff

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sean-vrs said:

My bog standard five was speed trapped at 36mph I think, which does feel faster when your bashing on the rough stuff

Yours was a Gasser, not leccy? So I'm heading in the right direction? :)