• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Strada Evo

4 hours ago, Grimsnot said:

Well this is frustrating! The parts finally all turned up, and the adapter MV22238 doesn't fit the spur gears MV29076 & MV29077

c1cb714d376275b262bc9c9cf5d1a5e2.jpg

:banghead::cussing2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Grimsnot said:

Had a great bash with the Strada today, glad it's all working well now after the upgrades. Any advice on an upgrade for the dogbone? We've gone through a lot of them. A few can be seen in the photo......

653750d62200755f3d4c3bc82531387e.jpg

Yours is the Truggy chassis?  When you push down can you bottom the chassis or do the shocks run out of travel first / dogbones bind up? 

The MT chassis has this design flaw, not sure with the truggy though with your bigger wheels it may have exacerbated the issue.  I don't think there's a simple fix from memory.  My friend ran the MT for a good while, and set the shocks up far too 'strong' so it wouldn't bottom out - handled terribly but he only launched it off skate ramps.

1 hour ago, Grimsnot said:

Truggy yes

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

That's what's (helping) bending them.  Whilst you've got it pushed down like that feel for play in the dogbones - ideally there should still be some (and therefore the strain is on the shock bodies / mounts etc) but the Maverick flaw is the dogbones bind up at this point and therefore bend.  I think the issue is prob due to a combination of designs - geometry, articulation as well as driveshafts and cups length.  I've never run an MT personally (though owned a few at one point) - I have the SCT and it's bottoms out before this point.

What's needed is shorter dogbones, too short though and they fall out.  I recall someone grinding the ends of the balls on there's to give a couple extra mm play without affecting the fit - how successful it turned out I don't know unfortunately.  Easy job to try, even a rough job by hand should soon show whether it's worthwhile or not.

The other option I suppose is to limit downwards travel - some fuel tube on the shock shafts will stop them compressing completely and done right stop before the dogbones take the strain.  Prob a better solution for handling than my friends over sprung method.

• Like 1

Interesting ! I was wandering if there was either a better quality dogbone available or some way of strengthening them. Apart from that the car is going really nicely now :-) The only other issue is the radio gear isn't great, can't go too far without it loosing signal.

10 hours ago, Grimsnot said:

Interesting ! I was wandering if there was either a better quality dogbone available or some way of strengthening them. Apart from that the car is going really nicely now :-) The only other issue is the radio gear isn't great, can't go too far without it loosing signal.

I've never come across one as an upgrade, so your limited to something made for another model and just matching ball diameter and length.

Alas I've never found a supplier of custom length / sized dogbones 'off the shelf' for sensible money.

11 hours ago, chewbacca said:

Are CVDs an option? 

Sorry Chewie, missed this. Yes they are, though the shafts themselves (or at least my sets all have been) are all the same diameter.

Grimsnot i'll measure my spares - I've got 2 full sets that have never been used as we're the wrong size for my SCT and the MT's - I forget whether too small (and thus TC) or too long and poss Truggy sized.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had a nice little fire on the Turnigy 80A Sensorless Brushless ESC this morning.  Looks like the capacitor overheated and the board on it caught alight.  Whats the chance of getting a new part and the ESC still working?  

Capri-boy....  what where the spares you mentioned?

20161018_105015_fire.jpg

Edited by Grimsnot

44 minutes ago, Grimsnot said:

Had a nice little fire on the Turnigy 80A Sensorless Brushless ESC this morning.  Looks like the capacitor overheated and the board on it caught alight.  Whats the chance of getting a new part and the ESC still working?  

Capri-boy....  what where the spares you mentioned?

20161018_105015_fire.jpg

Ouch.  The caps aren't strictly necessary to run, so i'd remove them, ensure the wires aren't shorted, and see what happens.  

Spares??

What does the 'cap' do then? Quite a large capacitor.  Should I solder the two wires together, or just tape up the ends to stop them touching?

In the previous post we were talking about dogbones. 

2 hours ago, Grimsnot said:

What does the 'cap' do then? Quite a large capacitor.  Should I solder the two wires together, or just tape up the ends to stop them touching?

My bad, really sorry i'd totally forgotten.  Its very dark in the man cave but i've set a reminder to dig them out tomorrow.

Cap smooths the voltage to the esc, protecting it someway, but also means that when you quickly apply full throttle there's a 'buffer' to help the supply so the batt can keep up.  Not all esc's have them.  If you follow the wires one should go onto red batt input to the esc, the other the black.  My electronics knowledge is limited but i'm certain you don't want them connecting to each other.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2016 at 16:29, Grimsnot said:

20mm axle length, total length is circa 110mm. 

30395447756_51da849b40_k.jpg

I have all four, they we're ridiculously cheap so seemed rude not too.  Alas they didn't fit so have languished in the dogbone jar for over a year. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...