• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AJ's Cross RC PG4L Dually Build

.AJ.

Cheers Manny :) 

The axles went together with no issues 

20160318_204932_zpsmtotthm5.jpg

They are very Axial like, but are one piece like Wraith axles cases so should be stronger than SCX10 ones, the chubs, knuckles and lockouts are nice and beefy, also I put the front links together, a shame they use plastic pivots balls, but I could easy upgrade the ends and balls to Traxxas ones with no fuss

Next is the shocks, but tbh the fronts look like complete junk and I've already ordered a set of RC4WD ones to replace them, the rears look good tho 

One pair of rears done, you can see the offset spacer on the inner wheel

20160319_101043_zps40ns6pac.jpg

Overall I'm really happy with the rims and wheels, the rims are stamped steel with alloy hubs/dust covers, the tyres seem OK and look like they will offer decent grip 

Edited by .AJ.
  • Like 1

Halfords do Matt lacquer which works perfect. It does change the shade a little so will need to bare that In mind when pickiing paint. I would highly recommend it, if you haven't used it before :good: 

H9dkKdO.jpg

Seeing how nice the body looks 'raw' it feels rather a shame it's not copying a 'legit' vehicle so you could add badges and stuff to really set it off in scale terms.

Just with the cab on and a fairly basic bed I bet it would look great too.

Trayback style... So many options!

How's the body feel AJ? Nice and strong?

I mentioned 2 issues I've found with the kit

1 - The terrible front shocks, they are just rubbish and not smooth, I've got a set to replace them on the way already...

2 - The rear leaf hangers have nothing solid to mount up to

20160319_162223_zpsuhyjrpmm.jpg

You can see in the pic that they are held on by just a nut, they wobble about when the suspension works, if i do the nut up tight to lose the play then the shackles can't move correctly and it ruins the suspension travel, so I'm going to make up a bulkhead to support the mounting screws for the hangers 

Also the electrics box is a bit pants 

20160319_162148_zpsttef79ap.jpg

The upper part is a speaker mount for the optional sound system kit, I'm going to replace the whole box with a hobby/electronics box 

Edited by .AJ.

Been painting the side steps and grill today, at the same time I shot a couple coats over the grey spacer for the rear bumper mount

Before

20160318_133414-1_zpssvelrmbc.jpg

After

20160320_112659_zpsmkhvyfvu.jpg

It would have been nice if the exhaust tips were chromed out of the box.....

Edited by .AJ.

• .AJ. locked this topic