• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kyosho Legendary Series Optima

53HRA

The Optima is designed based on the original version released in the 80s. We have updated several areas but kept the parts compatible with the original chassis.

New features :

• Chassis : All plates and the main chassis bars are now 6061T6 aluminum(counter sunk). Aluminum chassis bars are slightly thicker for more durability.

• Drive-train : Kit includes both chain and belt drive trains allowing use of more powerful motors. Diff gears now have ball bearings installed.

• Gears : Now in 48 pitch gears. Sintered alloy gears combined with high impact nylon gears and newly added slipper clutch will cope with the current power plants.

• Shocks : New 10mm diameter aluminum cylinder with SUS shaft allows improved damping.

• Tires / Wheels : Slightly modified tread designs and new softer compound for superior grip and handling. Rear tires include inner sponge. New 1 piece wheel design.

• 2 Types of bumpers included (Wide and Narrow)

• Aluminum motor guard.

• Updated geometry

• Hardware : All Hex

• Updated servo fixture

• Driver : Molded helmet design.

• Option Parts : We will release various option parts.

• Electronics compatibility : Compatible with the current standard servos,

• Receiver units, ESCs, motors and battery packs.

medium.kyoshooptima1_md.jpg.80596154fe7a

medium.kyoshooptima2_md.jpg.281a7e442310

medium.kyoshooptima7_md.jpg.03e082715226

medium.kyoshooptima13_md.jpg.4c17a436001

Source: Kyosho :) 

View full news article

15 hours ago, ChrisT said:

Converted, it works out at approx £277.12.

Clicky

Cheers Chris, I'd not bothered looking as assumed (incorrectly) it was some way of release.  Didn't think re preorders.  Price is as I expected for Kyosho though :gulp:  

Kind of in two minds about this release. Its great to see the Optima again, and it was always a nice car. I preferred the Kyoshos to Tamiyas, they seemed to be much better engineered.

However, it was succeeded by the Turbo and Salute, and then on to the Mids and LWB mids, which also used a belt drive system. And then by the Lazer series. So, it is old technology and one wonders whether the asking price is a bit steep. You could get a 4wd 1/8th buggy for that.

I guess each person will know if they want one or not. It sounds like it could handle a modern brushless system aswell.

Its good to allow newbies to the hobby to see some old classics reborn. Looking forward to seeing the reviews on YouTube.

Edit, just noticed the kit includes both chain and belt drive systems, That's interesting.

Modelsport listing it at £299 on order with supplier.

Edited by Deadleg Roberts

I'm in two minds about this. Its literally everything I ever wanted, and now I'm not sure anymore.

The problem is its too good! Its had a lot of modernising thrown at it, so (especially if built with a belt) its more a rear motor 4wd than a true vintage. Its been improved in every way. This is the Optima as you like to remember it, not as it was. Which is what I know I want, and yet somehow puts me off. I know I'd build it with the belt and run brushless, whilst all the time wishing it was running chain.

I suspect the real reason I'm not sure is that I never had an Optima myself. I went straight from a Progress to a Mid.

Such a good looking chassis. I don't think I've ever come across a chain drive model before. I really want it. I would have to take off that front bumper though, never been a fan of them. It just looks like I needs to be flying over jumps, that shell just wants to go fast! 

I hope they bring back 1/8 rally a new landmax mayb I'm obsessed with that thing atm. Something must have killed 1/8 rally Bcos they all ditched it but then did 1/9 weird scales. 

Full 1/8 licenced body's are the best.  They make 1/10 look like 1/18

• 2 months later...