• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

Not done much for a while with this, so Fitted some Diff Outdrive cup holders and CEN Style Hingepins. Got too warm to fit the centre shaft brace, so gave up that task for another day

WdyZCfa.jpg

lU0CbZJ.jpg

Edited by Kpowell911

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2022 at 13:53, Kpowell911 said:

Not done much for a while with this, so Fitted some Diff Outdrive cup holders and CEN Style Hingepins. Got too warm to fit the centre shaft brace, so gave up that task for another day

WdyZCfa.jpg

lU0CbZJ.jpg

Where did you get the drive cup sleeves ?

• 1 month later...

Decided i want to faff a  bit with my bone stock (ish) X-Maxx too. 

Mainly, i'm looking at the battery trays for now. Are there any decent options by now? I'm running with the "flipped hold down bar mod", is there anything decent suggestable that fixes this (never been a fan of how the wedge cleaves into the pack)?

Even was considering taking everything out and running my 1717 1650/MMX8s, but i think motor/ESC wise i'm happy how it runs. Just want to do some quality of life stuff - starting with the battery trays/hold downs. If anyone knows modified bars (like they are available for the Maxx), or otherwise decent stuff.. Let me know. 

Yup, that's gonna lead to breakage everywhere. 

I think i've read into it last year or something, forgot all about it. Anyone here got the WideXmaxx? Worth it?

2 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Yup, that's gonna lead to breakage everywhere. 

I think i've read into it last year or something, forgot all about it. Anyone here got the WideXmaxx? Worth it?

Yea Ive got it. It ruins in turning circle.

On 11/02/2022 at 18:41, Kpowell911 said:

Cross that bridge when I come to it…. Haha

So….

This has cost a fortune….

27j6fyM.jpg

You basically get this x4. The plastics are apparently Traxxas HD material, so I guess Ive “upgraded” the arms. 

RJs0X1K.jpg

Its a lot of money really for what it is. Moving on:

Decided to do a corner at a time:

5OK0PQR.jpg

So simple and easy to work on. I expected bent hinge pins etc but everthing was spot on:

Its quite a lot wider:

2Ip7p4y.jpg

DqNeJYp.jpg

RPM Carriers on the back. The bearings needed a clean and the CVDs were due a refresh so thats good:

h5x6tOj.jpg

MUCH Wider!

rwiRj7F.jpg

The fact everythings black and I cant really photo the size in my “rc room”

UBupDJT.jpg

Front was the same story, but added longer steering links. I also took this opportunity to add RPM Front Hubs, I got them when AT had a discount code on eBay

Q62tfkY.jpg

All back together, again terrible photo that doesnt show much change. Also the new wheels and tyres visually look smaller. Black is hiding the size of this thing now

qgmbVHR.jpg

Initial impressions on the Wide Kit? Its ALOT of money for what it is. I guess upgrading to RPM/HD Arms would cost around £100, so providing these are stronger I guess it softens the blow a bit? One of my arms was cracked too soo?

Now Ive spent just under £400 for the above, the X Maxx v3 will drop 👍🏻

On 12/02/2022 at 15:18, Kpowell911 said:

🖤🖤🖤🖤

9Xe8T9w.jpg

NpIXl3d.jpg

QaXUras.jpg

cFGu5YZ.jpg

xr548JR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3EWHnqW.jpg

On 19/02/2022 at 17:44, Kpowell911 said:

First run with the new wheels/tyres and Widemaxx

Seems more stable, wheels and tyres perform great and havent sapped too much performance. Wide Arms seem durable. Steerings not as good so will upgrade the servo next. I changed the shell for proper bashing lol 

L6yHoo6.jpg

Mf3aF3j.jpg

Emrov21.jpg

8kVPjez.jpg

z4vambR.jpg

@m4inbrain

• Thanks 1

Cheers bud, sucks about the turning circle - i do intend to get a 2085X, but the endpoints need to be conservative apparently otherwise it goes poof quickly. 

Gotta think about that. Also decided that i'm not gonna faff with the trays, i'll just get a bloody set of packs that fit in the first place. Mine are slightly puffed anyway. The black shell looks nice, is that an unbreakable?

Bearing kit now is first, haven't done any proper maintenance in 3 years (genuinely impressed i'll be honest), think it's time for that.

5 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Cheers bud, sucks about the turning circle - i do intend to get a 2085X, but the endpoints need to be conservative apparently otherwise it goes poof quickly. 

Gotta think about that. Also decided that i'm not gonna faff with the trays, i'll just get a bloody set of packs that fit in the first place. Mine are slightly puffed anyway. The black shell looks nice, is that an unbreakable?

Bearing kit now is first, haven't done any proper maintenance in 3 years (genuinely impressed i'll be honest), think it's time for that.

Its just a Proline Tough (nowhere near unbreakable) with out the decals (comes in Black)

https://www.applianceelectronics.co.uk/viewproduct/31879/pro-15-pre-cut-2017-ford-f-150-raptor-tough-color-black-body-x-g-pro3482-18

I like all Traxxas Style Clamp trays, they work well on the X Maxx and my Maxx.

With the widekit you need more than the 35kgish the 2085X gives you. Im running a 60kg servo and its much better than the 2085x I had. 

50 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Its just a Proline Tough (nowhere near unbreakable) with out the decals (comes in Black)

https://www.applianceelectronics.co.uk/viewproduct/31879/pro-15-pre-cut-2017-ford-f-150-raptor-tough-color-black-body-x-g-pro3482-18

I like all Traxxas Style Clamp trays, they work well on the X Maxx and my Maxx.

With the widekit you need more than the 35kgish the 2085X gives you. Im running a 60kg servo and its much better than the 2085x I had. 

After the EXB i just can't be arsed with permanent modifications anymore (drilling etc), just want a drop in improvement. I assume your 60kg servo didn't just drop in (or is more expensive than i'm willing to spend lol). 

I like the clamp trays too, but at the moment i have the bars flipped because my 6500mah packs are too tall. Had a look at CNHL earlier, think i found a pack that fits without modification. Gotta google for actual tray height when the bar is down and see. 

Hows the Tough holding up for you, seen people tear them rather quickly?

1 minute ago, m4inbrain said:

After the EXB i just can't be arsed with permanent modifications anymore (drilling etc), just want a drop in improvement. I assume your 60kg servo didn't just drop in (or is more expensive than i'm willing to spend lol). 

I like the clamp trays too, but at the moment i have the bars flipped because my 6500mah packs are too tall. Had a look at CNHL earlier, think i found a pack that fits without modification. Gotta google for actual tray height when the bar is down and see. 

Hows the Tough holding up for you, seen people tear them rather quickly?

The servo was half the price of the 2085x and just required the standard sized servo mount which is £8 if you opt for the Traxxas Plastic version.

Ive not used the “Tough” shell yet, I bash with the stock one, but it doesn’t feel much different to stock. I just wanted a Black Raptor shell (my mates have 2 1:1 Blacked out Ford Trucks) and this didnt need painting.

15 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

The servo was half the price of the 2085x and just required the standard sized servo mount which is £8 if you opt for the Traxxas Plastic version.

Ive not used the “Tough” shell yet, I bash with the stock one, but it doesn’t feel much different to stock. I just wanted a Black Raptor shell (my mates have 2 1:1 Blacked out Ford Trucks) and this didnt need painting.

Well, in that case i got to look into that. 

You still running stock motor? 

6 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, in that case i got to look into that. 

You still running stock motor? 

Stock motor and a Max 6.

Ive had 2 other X Maxxs with 56XX motors. 800kv and 1100kv. Didnt like how heavy they felt and there was no more ‘useable’ power than stock. Run time was poorer too.

Rather than go back to stock (Id sold the Stock ESC/Motor) I just sold the whole thing and bought a brand new X maxx and started again

Just now, Kpowell911 said:

Stock motor and a Max 6.

Ive had 2 other X Maxxs with 56XX motors. 800kv and 1100kv. Didnt like how heavy they felt and there was no more ‘useable’ power than stock. Run time was poorer too.

Rather than go back to stock (Id sold the Stock ESC/Motor) I just sold the whole thing and bought a brand new X maxx and started again

Same as me then, was out earlier today and thought to myself that it's the perfect amount of power - the one thing i'd like is running it sensored. Of course, i know, sensored is not for everyone, and it technically is a waste of money for little gain, but.. my X-Maxx. Started looking into sensored cans of comparable size/power, but sadly SOOL on that one, most of the stuff i could find (1100kv castle 1717 etc) was too small for an X-Maxx, or 800kv and lower cans that require big modifications etc again. 

Suppose that's not gonna happen sadly, i just really like sensored systems. 

Well, here we are. Decent standard servo and the adapter for it, bearing kit, new set of batteries and maaaaybe one of them integy alloy steering bell crank supports (tiny amount of bling). I'll hold off on the widemaxx kit for now (or maybe read into the M2C wide-kit). 

Probably time to do hub carriers too now. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

What have you mounted? 

I'm currently looking at a Savox HV CNC Monster 50kg (SB2290SG), also got the page open for a ProModeler DS845BLHV - gotta look at a few reviews each first though. Also, the way you worded it, you didn't opt for the Traxxas plastic version?

Edited by m4inbrain

On 07/04/2022 at 20:52, Kpowell911 said:

Time to give the X some love. 

gdk0c3L.jpg

Since the Wide Maxx kit, its became apparant that the stock steering servo needs upgrading. 

A Pro Modeler is the one I wanted, but I decided not to spend so much, so I went with a Dmond. Its low end of the budget, can be had for around £60 (Pro Modeler was around £180 all in).

Now, the internet will tell you Treal and Vitavon make the best alloy stuff for an RC. The Vitavon Servo mount for my Maxx didnt fit well, and I had issues with Treal hardware…. Soo

I went budget:

The Alloy Servo Adapter. A plastic one from Traxxas is £8, this is fully aluminium and comes WITH the alloy servo horn. This was less than a tenner posted from Ali Express…. ive paid more than that for a servo Horn…..

The Alloy Bellcranks were half the price of the next cheapest. Around £30 posted.  More on them later. 

I also added an aluminium servo link and aluminium rear gear cover, cause they were cheap, less than £20 for both. 

Also fresh set of skid plates as Id pulled a screw through the old ones. 

So, 8 screws later:

M438PMR.jpg

Such an easy truck to work on. Really well thought out. 

I was worried about getting this far and the alloy servo adapter being pants and stopping me in my tracks. 

Its perfect!

BFsVMFn.jpg

prASxQE.jpg

WMSF7K7.jpg

Instead of chopping the ears off the servo as Traxxas suggest, I notched the front bulkhead slightly with a stanley knife. 

Now Im not running any Traxxas electrics, Up goes the BEC

CIw5Yfh.jpg

Now the alloy bellcranks. These look superb for the money:

W9UvGwC.jpg

However, the centre link looks like someone milled it by using a picture of the stock one, as its too thick and as a result would have lots of play, so Im running the stock one

TVgOWlo.jpg

GbtikWn.jpg

41pIg3F.jpg

Pretty boring but Ive done this to every X Maxx Ive had

6KuABKS.jpg

ThgwLm3.jpg

Hopefully the steering will perform as well as it looks. Seemed very powerful on the floor, but didnt seem 0.10 fast, but time will tell

@m4inbrain

• Thanks 1

Very helpful, appreciated. I'll copy a few things. 

The pro modeler is cool af, but requiring basically an extra battery pack according to them is too much hassle for me (on top of the not inconsiderable price). 

@Kpowell911 £48 for the servo - how is it now after a while? Would you buy it again?

Edited by m4inbrain

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

Very helpful, appreciated. I'll copy a few things. 

The pro modeler is cool af, but requiring basically an extra battery pack according to them is too much hassle for me (on top of the not inconsiderable price). 

@Kpowell911 £48 for the servo - how is it now after a while? Would you buy it again?

Id definately buy it again. I do want to scratch the Pro Modeler itch at one point though. Maybe to “believe the hype”

13 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Id definately buy it again. I do want to scratch the Pro Modeler itch at one point though. Maybe to “believe the hype”

Yeah, but it's just too much hassle. I just flogged the EXB, for now i just need something that works and doesn't require me to constantly faff about with it. Had a look, actually really like that DMOND servo - currently browsing Ali for some other fun things. Will get the DBS variant though, had a S35 brushless servo in the EXB and kinda like brushless servos now. 

Will get the servo mount from there as well (same as yours), and currently just browsing for other things that maybe tickle me funny. That bell crank of yours, is that Integy? Can't figure it out. Worth doing? I'm looking at it on Ali, wondering whether i should have a bash at that or just go with the Integy alloy support bracket. 

.. also looking at the "make your X-Maxx worse complete package", lol.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004345980907.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5d4e1269Y3lAdj&algo_pvid=7fbbe36c-2307-4b61-9e19-098059d9171e&algo_exp_id=7fbbe36c-2307-4b61-9e19-098059d9171e-50&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000028843836230"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!GBP!!132.34!!!!!%402100bde316591321511042448ed2ed!12000028843836230!sea

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Haha 1