• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:1 Motorbikers

HYPER-BOY

Some good progress made, today. Went through to my Dad's (where the bike is currently being stored) and fitted a Motad exhaust system.

At the same time,  we fitted a lightweight, aluminium rear-brake lever. The Motad system allows the brake lever to sit at the correct angle, unlike that messy excuse for an exhaust that was on, before.

Looks SOOOOO much better, without that awful, home-made monstrosity!!

20220521_180923.thumb.jpg.e314751045ffacc25e41834b6f01eacc.jpg

20220521_180929.thumb.jpg.3b513e4b7243ce0e81b3610031ed6d84.jpg

I also chopped the hangers for the pillion footpegs, since the Cafe Racer seat is only for 1 person and Rachel has said there's no way she's getting on the back!

Chopped, grinded into shape, sanded, cleaned and painted. I'm super pleased about how they turned out. They look minimalistic and very much suit the Cafe Racer aesthetic.

OK, we got them dirty, prior to the photo, but I promise they look good! :lol:

20220521_180950.thumb.jpg.bdaa651c9d1358ddca6eca7fd2a1e95d.jpg

20220521_180958.thumb.jpg.0782cd6cbcbee205da5f4bd9e71b22c0.jpg

After that, we sanded down and Kurust-ed (Kurustified?) rusty bits on the frame and swingarm, fixed the wobbly side stand and gear-selector, replaced the front brakes and removed the seat and fuel tank.

Fuel tank will be getting stripped and painted. The seat will be getting altered to properly line-up to the tank and frame.

Really enjoyable day with quite a lot to show for it. :good:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, James.S said:

@supersavage Very interesting. This guy only lives about 10 miles from me & i've watched a few of his vids. Decent content, and I'm in complete agreement with him on this one.

I've been watching his videos for a long time and it was his videos that got me onto a motorcycle. He's definitely one to keep watching :good:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, supersavage said:

I've been watching his videos for a long time and it was his videos that got me onto a motorcycle. He's definitely one to keep watching :good:

Ah that's awesome man 🙂  Lamb Chop Rides is a good one to watch as well, if you haven't seen his channel already. Also  very local to me, but his bike reviews are excellent and the editing is on point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supersavage said:

I completely agree with that video 

Where we live we don't have any issues with asking to take crash hats off 

The next city along is terrible for bike thefts and of course ride offs so all there stations ask 

But I never rode in the city as why would I with the peak District on my doorstep 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James.S said:

Ah that's awesome man 🙂  Lamb Chop Rides is a good one to watch as well, if you haven't seen his channel already. Also  very local to me, but his bike reviews are excellent and the editing is on point.

Yep also been subbed to him for ages as well. Also watch the 44teeth guys and RichyVida.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Those old flat twins have a peculiar charm. Never warmed to the ride myself, but I can understand why folk get obsessed with them.

But yeah...a 919 Hornet is a great bike. I sold mine for the simple reason it was just such a sleeper. Hooligan in sheeps clothing. I ended up going everywhere faster than I ought, and enjoying every minute. Great brakes with loads of feel, and enough torque to lift thte front on the gas. Massively reliable too. Apart from consumables, the only thing that broke was a horn wire in 30k miles 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

I picked up my new ride yesterday, a 2014 S1000rr. Well worth the 12hr round-trip to collect it! Can't wait to get out for a first spin on it later on today 😁

Very nice mate! Always liked the look of those. Enjoy & stay safe  :good:

4 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Those old flat twins have a peculiar charm. Never warmed to the ride myself, but I can understand why folk get obsessed with them.

But yeah...a 919 Hornet is a great bike. I sold mine for the simple reason it was just such a sleeper. Hooligan in sheeps clothing. I ended up going everywhere faster than I ought, and enjoying every minute. Great brakes with loads of feel, and enough torque to lift thte front on the gas. Massively reliable too. Apart from consumables, the only thing that broke was a horn wire in 30k miles 🙂

They certainly do. Now that i've been riding this one for a few weeks i've noticed that my journey times are a good 10-20% longer, but it hasn't bothered me. I've enjoyed plodding along, and I'm one who tends to like getting places fast. So I can really see the benefit in owning one of these, if you're maybe a bit older and you want a fairly comfortable bike. & also if you're somebody who just wants to obey the road laws & ride at the speed limits, and not be in any risk of getting tickets, or even banned from driving, every time you go out for a ride.

Yeah my Hornet has been fantastic. Best bike i've owned for sure. Almost 20 years old but she's never missed a beat, and just needed general maintenance in the 24k miles that i've put on her. The clutch has been the first thing to properly 'fail'. But yeah, a great all rounder with lots of torque down low compared to most inline 4's of that era. Plenty of sound & character from the 96/97 Fireblade engine. Excellent in the twisties, decent enough fuel consumption, and doesn't leave you with aching back and/or wrists like a Blade does. They're been creeping up in value too over the past few years. Only 500 of them left in the UK. I think that quite a few people are now wanting to get back to the late 90s/early 2000s bikes as that was pretty much the pinnacle of super quick, but still very mechanical machines. Early fuel injection systems, no abs or traction control. Just pure unadulterated motorcycle fun where you, the rider, have to control everything.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of pics from the first trackday on the S1K last Thursday. This bike is an absolute animal!! I've ridden fast bikes before but this is on another level.

My friend had a bit of spill but the crash bung did it's job and the bike and rider were back out in the next session 🙂

IMG20220915151133

IMG20220915122323

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The S1K developed a rough idle and low speed running issues. Decided to save some £'s and change the spark plugs and check ignition coils myself. 2 damaged coils found and the most in depth strip down I've ever had to do to get to spark plugs, now I'm wondering if I'll ever remember how this thing goes together again after the holidays 🤔

IMG20221224120831

• 4 weeks later...

Dream 50R .... nice little retro.

Captures the look of the old race bikes nicely.

@everclear1984 ..reminds me of swapping plugs on an SV1000S. The front plug you can see but not remove...until the rad, oil cooler and lines are out of the way. And thats the easy one. Part of the reason I loved my 900 Hornet so much was the fact that ALL the routine maintenance jobs were easy.

Edited by Nitroholic
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...