• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Schumacher Rascal Mini Truck,anyone got one?

smallman28

I have the hex adapters but havent fitted them yet.I was quite suprised how big my hpi wheels and dirtbonze are compared to the standard rascal wheels and tyres.I will fit them in the future as i reckon the extra ground clearance should help off road.As the wheels are bigger it will slow down the accelaration tho but will improve top speed.Pity you didnt get a pic of your rascal with the big 6's on :)

damn, i'm gonna have to get me one of these little beauties, you can't grumble really at that price, could do with a cheap nitro i can throw at ramps and play with while my mates are out with their Savages

Well I did a run at luchtime despite the rain and I am still not convinced :lol:

It is obviously shifting as it doesn't sound like it is revving it's head off at full tilt but I still cant hear a gear change even when I build up speed slowly.

I am thinking that a 2 speed that uses 2 gears on the clutch bell and spur gear might be quieter than the other type of two speed on the Savage etc,are there different types of two speed?

I had a HPI super Nitro Rally that had the same type of 2 speed as the Rascal and I couldn't hear a distinct gear change with that either.

Hi, just looking at the pic posted of the silver Rascal with the big filter, whats the idea behind the cable ties on the heatsink, is that just to protect it in a rollover? If so i'll probably do that, because my driving skills at present are crap at best.

Anyone any ideas on the best suspension settings for tarmac, had a play with the spacers you get with the kit, lower seemed to grip a bit better, but has anyone with more experience got any ideas?

Wanna be out playing now, stupid rain!

Yes the cable ties are to stop the heatsink getting scratched to bits.As for suspension settings i dont have a clue.I have added a few spacers to mine tho as it seemed to soft as standard but have only done 5 tanks so far and judging by the weather i wont any more done this weekend :( .

Edited by martin34

As for suspension settings i dont have a clue.I have added a few spacers to mine tho as it seemed to soft as standard but have only done 5 tanks so far and judging by the weather i wont any done this weekend :( .

I had firmed up the rear end but found it "kicked up" in some cases,I have since removed the spacers and it is back to how it was and that seems better.

I want it to stop raining as well so I can try my new Tornado fuel and tune it up on that :D

Just been told by someone that the stock wheels only lasted him about 4/5 tanks of fuel?!?!?! This standard with punishment, because sounds a little poor to me even if you did a lot of spinning?

Just been told by someone that the stock wheels only lasted him about 4/5 tanks of fuel?!?!?! This standard with punishment, because sounds a little poor to me even if you did a lot of spinning?

The stock tyres wear quite quick on road as they are only mini spikes,saying that though I have run about 10-12 tanks with mine and most of them are on road and I have worn them down about half.

It's not a "problem" unique to the Rascal,it would happen to any 2WD car with those type of tyres.

Do you mean wheels or tyres?I have done 5 tanks and my tyres are still fine but if you spin them on tarmac all the time they are going to wear out quick as they are mini pins.I totaly shredded a set of dirtbonze in 1 tank out in the street on my old rush.

Edited by martin34

AHHHH to wet again this morning!!After seeing essery's different airfilter i came to the conclusion that the stock airfilter is to small for an 18 engine.I have an hpi high performance one for the mt2.Its the rite size carb fitment and it fits ok so i am going to run that instead :)

AHHHH to wet again this morning!!After seeing essery's different airfilter i came to the conclusion that the stock airfilter is to small for an 18 engine.I have an hpi high performance one for the mt2.Its the rite size carb fitment and it fits ok so i am going to run that instead :)

It was dry(ish) :D at 8am this morning so popped out for a bit.

I needed to re-tune a bit after going to the 20% Tornado,it was going okay for a while till the engine cut out,it took me a while to notice the split in the fuel pipe :whistling:

I changed it over when I got home again and it seems to be going okay again now,the HSN is as good as dam it back on the factory setting of 2.5 turns out,it seems to get too hot on anything else :(

Even on those settings though it still flies :D

I fitted my 2 speed yesterday but havent run it yet.When putting it together the gears span on the layshaft as they should.When i put the gearbox back on it feals like the gear mesh is way to tight.When you push it you can hear the gears clicking.As its a fixed engine mount theres not alot i can do.Was anyone elses like this or is somthing wrong?

I fitted my 2 speed yesterday but havent run it yet.When putting it together the gears span on the layshaft as they should.When i put the gearbox back on it feals like the gear mesh is way to tight.When you push it you can hear the gears clicking.As its a fixed engine mount theres not alot i can do.Was anyone elses like this or is somthing wrong?

The gears are noisy when it is re-assembled,they click and make all sorts of noises :D mine seems to work okay though.

I did hear it shift yesterday which is the first time I have heard it do so,the shift point really is quite late and you have to get a lot of speed up for it to change.

I think it might not have been shifting before as the engine wasn't quite tuned correctly,I changed fuel the other day and have had to do some re-tuning and now I can hear a definate change.

Just ordered some Proline Road Hawg tyres and rims for the little beast!

pl1060.jpg

The supplied tyres are wearing down from continued use on tarmac and I want to save whats left of them for when it dries out and I can use it on some grass.

How much for that package? Can i have a linky por favor?

Have you had any problems with sludge and slime grabbing dirt all over the pullstart, exhaust and rear suspension? My diff already needs stripping and cleaning up.

Edit - Virtually washed my mouth out with soap and water...

Edited by matt_green84

How much for that package? Can i have a linky por favor?

Have you had any problems with sludge and slime grabbing dirt all over the pullstart, exhaust and rear suspension? My diff already needs stripping and cleaning up.

Edit - Virtually washed my mouth out with soap and water...

I think it was about £44 in total,the tyres were quite pricey at something like £13 a pair and the whels I got were the stock Schumacher ones,I got the 10 spoke chrome ones though :good:

dsc01652rv8.jpg

Tyres

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=...amp;ItemID=2272

Wheels

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=...mp;ItemID=25642

Both items are out of stock now :lol: that might have been me.

They are quite a bit larger than I expected but they fit okay without rubbing on anything even at full steering lock and full suspension travel.

Looking good, although for that price I may end up looking at the 12mm hex adaptors and some different wheels/tyres.

Yeah but the hex adaptors are £29,so that and the cost of the wheels would still end up being nearly the same as what I paid and then you still have to add tyres.

The supplied wheels are 2.2" so there is plenty of tyre options without having to go the 12mm hex adaptor route.

Good point well made! Hadn't actually looked at the price of the hex's.

Why are we both posting in each others threads? Lol.

anyway, what other bits have you got on your truck? I was thinking of a bigger airfilter from newera, as the stock one keeps getting soaked and i can get another with a rain sheild and so forth.

Then i want someone to sort out a sensible solution to the exhaust issue i noted above. And a cleaner less gritty diff!

Good point well made! Hadn't actually looked at the price of the hex's.

Why are we both posting in each others threads? Lol.

anyway, what other bits have you got on your truck? I was thinking of a bigger airfilter from newera, as the stock one keeps getting soaked and i can get another with a rain sheild and so forth.

Then i want someone to sort out a sensible solution to the exhaust issue i noted above. And a cleaner less gritty diff!

So far just the 2 speed as well as the wheels/tyres.

I might get a new air filter at some point but I haven't really got the car dirty enough yet to warrant a better one,most use I have had so far has just been on-road hence the new tyres.

The exhaust sucks a bit I know,I have looked at it but there is very little space to accomodate a "normal" manifold and exhaust set up.

So far just the 2 speed as well as the wheels/tyres.

I might get a new air filter at some point but I haven't really got the car dirty enough yet to warrant a better one,most use I have had so far has just been on-road hence the new tyres.

The exhaust sucks a bit I know,I have looked at it but there is very little space to accomodate a "normal" manifold and exhaust set up.

is a £125 a good price on a new rascal thats only been run once